Intel Releases Spectre Patches for More CPUs

Faybert

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Intel has released firmware updates that fix the Spectre vulnerability for many of its processors and patches for dozens more are nearly ready for use in production environments.

After the first round of microcode updates released by the company caused problems for many users, including more frequent reboots and unstable systems, Intel started working on a new set of patches that should address these issues.

The company first released new firmware updates for its Skylake processors, but on Tuesday it announced that patches are now also available for Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake and other CPUs. This includes 6th, 7th, and 8th generation, and X-series Intel Core products, as well as Xeon Scalable and Xeon D processors used in data center systems.

As of February 21, the following products have Spectrefirmware patches ready for use in production environments: Anniedale/Moorefield, Apollo Lake, Avoton/Rangeley, Broxton, Cherry View, Coffee Lake, Cougar Mountain, Denverton, Gemini Lake, Kaby Lake, Knights Landing, Knights Mill, Skylake, SoFIA, Tangier, Valleyview/Bay Trail, and XGold.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Anyone checked out the securityweek.com link in the first post? I get rampant CPU usage when I click on the link. Cryptominer?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
My CPU idle on 3-5% for that site.

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Thanks for checking. I just tried on another computer, and it doesn't seem to be an issue on that PC. Only difference I can see is that I was logged on to a Disqus account on the affected computer for making comments. Maybe that accounts for the issue, but it seem like mining to me. Anyway, I had forgotten about that Disqus account, so I went and hopefully deleted it once and for all. I was hesitant to set up the account, then I see how it works its way through everything. That was enough for me.

Weird thing. I show up logged out on Disqus now but it's still happening. In the activity indicator at the bottom of Chrome (bottom left), it shows Chrome cycling through the extensions one after the other like this...waiting on HTTPS, waiting on PB, waiting on UBO....the cycle is completing about every second then over and over. The page never resolves...spinning circle in the tab lol. No idea what could be causing it, but I doubt it's a miner. Some kind of code resolution issue in Chrome I guess. Still leaves me wondering what could trigger the issue, since it only happens on this one page...

Reactions: upnorth

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
@AtlBo My advice since I been hit by miners but managed to kill them is to download msert Safety Scanner - Windows Defender Security Intelligence and one or two other of your own choise. Start the PC in safe-mode and let the scanners do a Full Scan. That might take awhile but if you find something it's worth the time. Could help you tweak your filters.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

@AtlBo My advice since I been hit by miners but managed to kill them is to download msert Safety Scanner - Windows Defender Security Intelligence and one or two other of your own choise. Start the PC in safe-mode and let the scanners do a Full Scan. That might take awhile but if you find something it's worth the time. Could help you tweak your filters.

are you selecting full scan or quick?
Does this scanner have something Windows Defender doesn't?

Reactions: AtlBo and upnorth

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I select Full Scan and I can't conclusively say that msert has something Defender dosen't as I done too few tests.

Reactions: AtlBo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.