LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Friday, June 08, 2018

Intel caused a bit of a scene earlier his week when it unveiled a 5GHz 28-core processor at Computex, after which it then said that it would be shipping later this year. However, Intel is now saying that it "forgot" to explain to audiences that the 28-core/56-thread processor was overclocked to reach those speeds and that 5GHz SKUs will not be shipping this year.
While that whole Computex debacle might have been a black eye for Intel, the company does have a "5GHz" processor that you can buy right now. That's right, we're talking about the Coffee Lake-based Core i7-8086K Limited Edition, which was also announced this week at Computex. The Core i7-8086K Limited Edition was developed to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Intel's legendary 8086 processor, and there will only be 50,000 of these processors produced for global consumption.

The Core i7-8086K Limited Edition is unlocked, has six physical cores (12 threads) and has a base clock of 4GHz with a single-core turbo frequency of 5GHz. That puts its comfortably ahead of Intel's previous top-dog mainstream processor, the Core i7-8700K which clocks in at 3.7GHz and 4.7GHz respectively.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Literally zero point in having this thing unlocked as it won't clock any higher anyway. It's already at its limit. Unlocked state is really only interesting for people doing LN2. No one else.

Reactions: Weebarra

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
For me they can create what they want (5, 8, 10, 20ghz), but I will not buy anymore INTEL because ME internal minix OS and its private vulnerable closed code. Waiting for an better solution with open source firmware.
Try System76 laptops/desktops. Dell and Lenovo are giving an option to disable ME.

Reactions: Weebarra

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Try System76 laptops/desktops. Dell and Lenovo are giving an option to disable ME.

I agree with you, we should test first to see if still existing leaks after deactivation, the ME is the most important thing to deactivate, but the problem of firmware support in the motherboard would still be in force, always the companies stop giving support in 1year½ , After that time there will be no more firmware updates. it's time to take advantage of the benefits of open source firmware, or give us more control of our components to deactivate many annoying functions. With Opensource BIOS you has no more back doors, no malicious code, no more bottleneck delay at restart pc, no more spying from goverments technnics, no more provider unknown shadows hidden on EUEFI AND BIOS, you will learn things about the functioning of the firmware and how to improve it among support groups, working day by day. It is time to take the leap to gain greater security.(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Reactions: Vasudev

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I agree with you, we should test first to see if still existing leaks after deactivation, the ME is the most important thing to deactivate, but the problem of firmware support in the motherboard would still be in force, always the companies stop giving support in 1year½ , After that time there will be no more firmware updates. it's time to take advantage of the benefits of open source firmware, or give us more control of our components to deactivate many annoying functions. With Opensource BIOS you has no more back doors, no malicious code, no more bottleneck delay at restart pc, no more spying from goverments technnics, no more provider unknown shadows hidden on EUEFI AND BIOS, you will learn things about the functioning of the firmware and how to improve it among support groups, working day by day. It is time to take the leap to gain greater security.(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
Intel ME actually control clocks as well, so if you're OC'ing then ME must be there esp. 1.5MB firmware and 5MB can be avoided at best.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Intel ME actually control clocks as well, so if you're OC'ing then ME must be there esp. 1.5MB firmware and 5MB can be avoided at best.

Im not talking about of OverClock, i mean to forcing lock or switchoff all controls on old firmware ME software to get security and cut the vulnerabilities when the system is on use, because the intel ME on cpu smell to female fragrance in heat for malicious nose hackers who can detect the vulnerability and inject code that corrupts the rom and internal chip. . the obsolete software embedded unsupport, without the possibility of rewriting with a new firmware that solves the problem,and latter, when TI researchers manage to discover an exploit that takes advantage of the leak, its a bit late, it is not known if it was previously violated by some unscrupulous organization ..

read this:
MINIX: Intel's hidden in-chip operating system | ZDNet
Researchers say Intel's Management Engine feature can be switched off | ZDNet

Reactions: Vasudev

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Im not talking about of OverClock, i mean to forcing lock or switchoff all controls on old firmware ME software to get security and cut the vulnerabilities when the system is on use, because the intel ME on cpu smell to female fragrance in heat for malicious nose hackers who can detect the vulnerability and inject code that corrupts the rom and internal chip. . the obsolete software embedded unsupport, without the possibility of rewriting with a new firmware that solves the problem,and latter, when TI researchers manage to discover an exploit that takes advantage of the leak, its a bit late, it is not known if it was previously violated by some unscrupulous organization ..

read this:
MINIX: Intel's hidden in-chip operating system | ZDNet
Researchers say Intel's Management Engine feature can be switched off | ZDNet
Without ME the vendor PCs won't boot unless they modify the BIOS source code like System76 or Libreboot does taking ME out keeping only necessary functions like CPU clock controller, boot guard etc...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.