Internet Download Manager (deep) (updated) Review

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I could never afford to download over 50 MB without downloader. Pain of having slow internet :(
And that slow internet is why streaming capture is very important for me. Can't enjoy any videos without so much buffering :mad:
I feel your pain bro:(. When i had 256kbps internet (about 7-8 years ago), I used to search for "best download managers" day & night:p. Now on a 50 mbps D/U connection I don't see any need for download managers. But then I mostly just stream movie/TV series or YouTube.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I feel your pain bro:(. When i had 256kbps internet (about 7-8 years ago), I used to search for "best download managers" day & night:p. Now on a 50 mbps D/U connection I don't see any need for download managers. But then I mostly just stream movie/TV series or YouTube.
Now that I have around about 25 Mbs it is is not so bad but IDM is still very handy to have. ;)

Hadden

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
Well, I'm not on an slow connection but it's really faster.
A single "thread" download on a fast site can go about 1,2 mb/s (as true speed)
With IDM segmented download I can have also 8 mb/s.
It's a really good download manager.
Of course, there are also good free software, but I still prefer IDM.
Has a grabber, it's often updated, has lifetime licence and other things.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Even though I've barely use IDM but to be honest that is one of the reliable download manager that you can have, worth a penny to purchase on license.

From its flexibility up to the performance on how it manage the downloads.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Hmm, for me it's a good reason to support them. :p
Honestly i don't see the point on using a download manager. 99% of times my downloads are full speed.

Can you support it with a screenshot?

And even if it did, it's more popular than IDM at the moment, because there are 1 million users of the extension at Chrome store compared to IDM's 300 thousand. I can see why, because it's freeware and at the same time faster than IDM. I'm saying faster than IDM, because I have been a long time user of both EG & IDM and EG gave me atleast 20% faster download speeds than IDM :) Stability wise IDM is better because of it's longevity, but EG is getting there.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Can you support it with a screenshot?

And even if it did, it's more popular than IDM at the moment, because there are 1 million users of the extension at Chrome store compared to IDM's 300 thousand. I can see why, because it's freeware and at the same time faster than IDM. I'm saying faster than IDM, because I have been a long time user of both EG & IDM and EG gave me atleast 20% faster download speeds than IDM :) Stability wise IDM is better because of it's longevity, but EG is getting there.
Stability is a big problem. Download failed with EG for me many times, even after refresh it wouldn't resume. Not the same with IDM. And another thing, I don't want to download ffmpeg to download 480p(my preferred size cuz of slow internet) from youtube. Why can't EG do that without ffmpeg but IDM can?
If it manages to gain the stability similar to IDM has, then it will beat IDM.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
I have been using IDM (and still do) for nearly a decade now.

Previously used Getright (can anybody remember that one? :) ) in the days of the dial-up modem back in the '90s and early 2Ks and then the beautifully Oz made Download Studio. DownloadStudio - Internet Download Manager And Download Accelerator - Download files, pictures, audio, video, web sites and FTP sites fast!. Gave Download Accelerator Plus (DAP, Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) - Free Download Manager & Video Downloader ) a try for a year but didn't really like the subscription model.

IDM has a basic and pretty ancient interface but heck this program is reliable and I can tweak its behaviour to my needs. That's all I need. Why use a download manager in an era when there are no dial-up modems, ADSL carrier drops are a thing of the past and pretty reliable connectivity is a given? It is for download acceleration. IDM does speed up your downloads by 3-5x. YMMV of course.

Reactions: whizkidraj

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I just uninstalled IDM due to a bug that it injected a DLL into windows explorer (explorer.exe) which made it utilize ~13% of CPU without dropping. The solution is kill the process and start it again but it's only a temporary workaround. The issue will come up again

not sure if it still persists now

I switched to eagleget. although it's clear inferior but stable and usable enough for me
I dislike freedownloadmanager and jdownloader

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
Internet Download Manager(IDM) is a good download Manager.They push patches very quickly and it is very easy to use.It is CPU friendly.:)(y) Capture2.PNG

gin

Level 7
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
I just uninstalled IDM due to a bug that it injected a DLL into windows explorer (explorer.exe) which made it utilize ~13% of CPU without dropping. The solution is kill the process and start it again but it's only a temporary workaround. The issue will come up again

I switched to eagleget. although it's clear inferior but stable and usable enough for me
are you use password manager, like sticky password ?
i got cpu issue in idm too, but after uninstall sticky everything works fine :)

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
are you use password manager, like sticky password ?
i got cpu issue in idm too, but after uninstall sticky everything works fine :)
no I don't have it. I monitored using process explorer and it was definitely due to IDM

Omarzwai

Level 1
Verified
Dec 10, 2016

Why eagleget is better than free download manager ?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Why eagleget is better than free download manager ?
because I like the UI and it's much easier to use for me
the last time I tried FDM, several times actually, FDM was always blocked my by malware filter and my AV, and the UI is a bit confusing. Not really better than eagleget. Perhaps they have the same speed
Eagleget also uses less RAM if I recall correctly
maybe FDM can suit you better but for me eagleget is more comfortable

I think all of them can work well with firefox quantum, not so sure

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I'm happy with my FlashGet and will keep it.Idm is better in the term of feature and usability(FlashGet is outdated and sometimes you cant Dw your files with it! but rare times).
Idm> all kind of Dw managers:D but paid! and I don't like to use a cracked tool which is connected to the internet.although the crack is provided by soft98 and it has zero detections on vt buts still risky:giggle:
VirusTotal

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Which download manager is compatible with firefox 57 ?

IDM is compatible with Firefox 57 which I am currently using. I bought IDM's lifetime license (no idea lifetime is mine or there's :X3:) and the software is well polished, runs smoothly. IDM releases updates regarding bug fixes, compatibility optimizations etc on a regular basis too . Its a question of IDM or not, there is no other download accelerator I find it worth to use over browser's stock download manager.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
IDM works with no problems with Firefox 57... You know whenever I see discussions about download managers I remember Getright... I never undersood why its development suddenly stopped... It was the mos popular download manager a decade or so ago...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.