LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
IE-url-bug.png

Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser is affected by a serious bug that allows rogue sites to detect what the user is typing in his URL address bar.

This includes new URLs where the user might be navigating to, but also search terms that IE automatically handles via a Bing search. Users copy-pasting URLs for Intranet pages inside IE would likely see this bug as a big issue.

The bug, spotted by security researcher Manuel Caballero, poses a privacy risk, as it could be used in reconnaissance operations in targeted attacks, but also for data harvesting by online advertisers.

Bug is easy to exploit
The bug occurs when IE loads a page with (1) a malicious HTML object tag and (2) features the compatibility meta tag in its source code. Both conditions are quite easy to meet.

Condition one: Attackers can hide malicious HTML object tags in hacked sites or load it via ads that allow advertisers to load custom HTML and/or JavaScript code.

Condition two: X-UA-Compatible is a document mode meta tag that allows web authors to choose what version of Internet Explorer the page should be rendered as. Almost all sites on the Internet have a compatibility meta tag.

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
Incredible but true. We had a ticket sent in yesterday, some customer said IE was crashing but Chrome/Firefox/Edge work fine. I told her not to use IE, to pick anything else. She said 'But I will never give up IE'.

Idiots. Idiots everywhere.
Lol, IE is the only Internet on Windows many many people have ever experienced.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
I don't use IE for my daily browsing since a long time (12+ years), when Firefox (and later, Chrome) became a thing. Now even Microsoft gave up on IE.
My wife unfortunately needs it for her work. Some of my country government sites actually use activex
I had that feeling until not so long ago, because some banks in my country used to demand us to install a browser plugin which in some cases only worked in IE. Sometimes you also have to install Java. Because of that, I only access their services through my mobile phone.

P

plat1098

Idiots. Idiots everywhere.

When I wins me the lottery and gets me a bigger NVMe, I will indulge in the "luxury" of a third party browser. For now, IE is the lesser of two evils use-wise--guess which one takes the cake? :sick:

I had some URL issue where it was displaying gibberish in the URL bar but not in the Bing search. After a clean Windows install, I haven't seen it...yet. :devil: Would not touch IE without an ad blocker/anti-exploit/keystroke encryption module--at the minimum. Hanging around here and at Wilders doesn't hurt, right?

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I never used it. One of my first browsers was Netscape. I don't remember what I used before.

I just remembered... before Netscape I used Mosaic... yes, I'm old :)

o_O I have never even heard of any of these, my earliest was I.E 8/9 (i think) but i am only a noob really to computers and the wider world of the web, i was a late starter:giggle:

L

Local Host

I used IE up until Google Chrome was released, back then Firefox was extremely buggy and not worth the effort unless you were into all the Extensions thing, all I wanted was to navigate the Internet (and IE was extremely light and simple to use).

Currently I still use Google Chrome cause it's the only browser that works perfectly in all the websites I visit, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox and even Opera all have problems in at least one of the websites I frequently use.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I used IE up until Google Chrome was released, back then Firefox was extremely buggy and not worth the effort unless you were into all the Extensions thing, all I wanted was to navigate the Internet (and IE was extremely light and simple to use).

Currently I still use Google Chrome cause it's the only browser that works perfectly in all the websites I visit, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox and even Opera all have problems in at least one of the websites I frequently use.

The sad reality is, Chrome is really the only one that works 100% of the time on every website.

Every time I try a different browser the inevitable 'Honey, this website doesn't work.' comes from my wife. I get tired of that after a few days and go back to Chrome.
Just make sure to use command line switches on Chrome's icon BEFORE pinning it to task bar. After the command line switches are added - pin it. In my testing, these really improved your safety and privacy (Wireshark work).

--disable-background-networking --disable-component-extensions-with-background-pages --dns-prefetch-disable --no-pings --disable-logging

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.