Internet privacy concerns?

Emma Parker

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 18, 2018
Hello everyone,

I'm a regular internet user and too concern about my privacy and anonymity on internet.

I was reading on different topics to protect my data on internet. Few tips were like delete cookies automatically but I guess it isn't enough. I've bought a VPN also, but still concern about my privacy.

Am I over thinking about it? Actually I got cyberstalked 4 years ago and I can't afford to have some issues again :(

L

Local Host

Don't get paranoid over privacy, avoid social networks, google services/products and you'll be generally fine. Few VPNs are trustworthy too, as all your data goes through them.

There are extensions you can use to help with your privacy while browsing, like Adguard. You should also have a solid security solution to avoid Spywares.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Cyber-stalkers prey on their targets with easy to access information such as public posts, profiles, photos and by guessable passwords for your social accounts. If you meet someone in the street, and know their Name and Where they work, you can easily find their social profiles.

I would not go as far as avoiding social media sites all together, but learn about ways to protect yourself online by exploring the available privacy options and limit exposure.
Share only what you are comfortable with others knowing about you. For example, you would not share your Home Address, so why would you post your Mobile number or Email address online, as with Photos with locations close an area you may live.

If you are unsure, Google yourself to see what information is out there.

Did you purchase PureVPN or another service?

You can share you PC Security Configuration and find out ways to improve your computer security.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hey @Emma Parker! I believe it strictly depends on what kind of privacy you're looking for. Web anonimity or to go light on the data you share on the web? For example, if you don't care about Google or Facebook, then you can have accounts and use them, just limit what you post and who it's shared with.

I personally do not care about Facebook or Google. I use these kind of services. I just control them carefully.
  1. I don't share addresses, bank details, or any identifiable information rather than my name and age.
  2. I limit my posts to be seen only by my added friends
  3. I do not participate on any data collection or "anonymous" service to help the product improve
As for tracking I try to avoid fingerprinting at maximum. Fingerprinting is mostly the cause of direct advertising and spam emailing, also used to track you for several reasons. For this, I use AdGuard for PC (not the extension) which blocks all type of ads and tracking online, even on software, not limited to browsers. I also added Canvas Defender to Chrome and HTTPS Everywhere.

I have my VPN always ready to use when I connect to ANY wi-fi spot that is not my home's. Depending on your local government's regulations, you may use the VPN 24/7 to stay more private.

I also changed my DNS to a more secure one.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Ultimately it depends on your threat model. What information are you trying to protect and who are you trying to protect that information from?

If it's personal information you're trying to protect (name, age, where you live, email address, phone number, payment details, etc.) then I highly recommend this guide:
Going dark: online privacy and anonymity for normal people
I've personally adopted all the steps listed and it is rather freeing to know that the majority of information floating around the internet about me is an outright lie. Obviously there's businesses that do need your real information so there's no way to completely stop it getting out, but you can choose to limit disclosure to what you find is acceptable.

As for "anonymized" information that's collected automatically via ad networks or analytics, you're stuck in the same boat as everyone else. Best you can do is use extensions or programs to block ads/trackers/cookies/fingerprinting, etc. Browser settings can also be changed to help safeguard your privacy better than they would if used in their default state. At the end of the day all you can do is hope that these tools protect you against the endless horde of companies vying for your data.

Like @Local Host said, don't become paranoid about your privacy. The end result isn't worth the time or expensive you have to go through and it only leads to you being miserable at the fact you cannot ever achieve complete anonymity (coming from personal experience).
I say defend your privacy up to the point where it doesn't annoy you. For example, if you find that using any other search engine besides Google annoys you because it doesn't give you satisfactory search results, go ahead and use Google and selectively use a private search engine when you'd like to search for something you'd rather Google not know about.

Craft your own threat model and don't let paranoia make you miserable.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Hello everyone,

I'm a regular internet user and too concern about my privacy and anonymity on internet.

I was reading on different topics to protect my data on internet. Few tips were like delete cookies automatically but I guess it isn't enough. I've bought a VPN also, but still concern about my privacy.

Am I over thinking about it? Actually I got cyberstalked 4 years ago and I can't afford to have some issues again :(

Cyber Stalking is very real and a growing problem. 8 years ago someone my wife ran into at work saw her name badge. Later he said he found out everything about her and was going to intrude on her life (not in those exact words obviously). But what my didn't tell him was who she was married to and everything he found was either 'planted' information by me or not even her information at all. All of it was a dead end.

I've learned a long time ago the importance of maintaining some level of privacy/anonymity. I'm a ghost online. My real name doesn't exist as a searchable entity and I haven't used it online in a decade. I have a dozen assumed identities. My home address while searchable isn't tied to a real name. Google Maps is blackened out on my street. My tax, county and state records are all privatized. I've recently extended this level of privacy/anonymity to my wife and children who are now ghosts online.

The good thing is - once you take control of all of this it's very easy to maintain. Just check yourself on search engines once or twice a year and file privacy/opt-out forms to knock yourself off anything you re-appear on. It's far better to get a handle on this as early as possible than it will be in the future to attempt to regain control after the dam breaks on all of your stuff. It's far easier to keep control than it is to regain control. For example if photos get out there, they'll be there forever.

Also there are services that can help. Some are free, some cheap, some expensive, some maintain it forever for you. Also I recommend removing/deleting extraneous accounts you no longer use to reduce your exposure and threat surface.

Just Delete Me | A directory of direct links to delete your account from web services.

Clean up your online presence.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

they day we can protect from our ISP thats the real privacy.. they can learn all data plus devices conected to their router, internet trafic web u visit etc

It is advisable to not use ISP provided gear. If you do, then lock it down. For example every comcast router in the world is UN:cusadmin PW:highspeed. Well, login and change that, then disable management from WAN and set your DNS to anything but 75.75.75.75 and Comcast isn't going to know a whole lot about what you are resolving and almost nothing about what's behind your NAT.

Years ago ISP's used to use NXD redirects, Paxfires, Nebu's and other crap and man in the middle your traffic and/or redirect DNS resolution errors for spying/advertising. (PSST: All of them were US Intel shell companies) These days it's pretty frowned upon in the industry but also it's becoming technically infeasible for them to do it because of the prevalence of encrypted communications and people becoming wise to DNS tampering AND browsers being way more sensitive to NXD. Our metrics show just 5 years ago only 14% of the traffic was encrypted, now it's approaching 80%.

This is why Claptrap said 'The golden age of electronic spying is coming to an end', in that a series of broad changes are unfolding (WPA3, Meltdown/Spectre Fixes, more Disclosures of ZD's and Exploits, Consumers dropping UTM's into their homes, PERSONAL changes unfolding (people using more encryption, privacy services, special DNS, VPN's, awareness of opensource/public domain intelligence leaking by people, etc). That's all adding up to more and more black spots on their panels and they don't like black spots. That black mass keeps spreading by the week, literally, and there is at some level - some fairly pronounced panic taking place with a 'what do we do next?' whispers..

Think about it, just a few years back the average joe had a $20 simple-nat router, a weak antivirus, used Yahoomail and some browser with no important extensions installed. They dumped their guts out to opensource intelligence(AKA Social Media). These days? It's pretty common to find people looking for more advanced firewalls, better security solutions, and private/offshore secured email accounts. It's also VERY common to see people are generally 'going quiet' on social media, switching to anonymous accounts, or ditching it altogether.

Desperatation eventually may spread to the point they might be much more demanding of backdoors.. We'll see I guess. Heck, even ping times are so fast for most people now Quantum Injections are failing more than succeeding and many UTM's are well appraised of QI and reject the side loaded or rushed packets.

71Hemi

Level 2
Verified
Dec 12, 2015
@ForgottenSeer 58943
For example every comcast router in the world is UN:cusadmin PW:highspeed. Well, login and change that, then disable management from WAN
Hi ForgottenSeer 58943, could you elaborate more on how to disable management from WAN as my brother is running a comcast router. Thanks

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

@ForgottenSeer 58943
For example every comcast router in the world is UN:cusadmin PW:highspeed. Well, login and change that, then disable management from WAN
Hi ForgottenSeer 58943, could you elaborate more on how to disable management from WAN as my brother is running a comcast router. Thanks

Honestly, just bridge it and put a real router behind it, then change the login username/pw on it. Way better option IMO. Don't trust ISP provided gear. Ever. (backdoor city)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Just create a fake email account with a fake name, dont ever link it with your real picture and location. Then you wont care of privacy.

Right on. I'm always SHOCKED people use their first and last name for personal emails. It got my father in-law hacked, then doxed... Not only his full name, but birthdate in his email AND a yahoo email.. Eh? Bruce.Hender1947@yahoo.com... Nice job buddy.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I wouldn't go tin foil hat with privacy, just stick to the basics - VPN, adblock, DNS, basic fingerprinting protection.

~LDogg

Reactions: Emma Parker

Emma Parker

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 18, 2018
Don't get paranoid over privacy, avoid social networks, google services/products and you'll be generally fine. Few VPNs are trustworthy too, as all your data goes through them.

There are extensions you can use to help with your privacy while browsing, like Adguard. You should also have a solid security solution to avoid Spywares.

I can't trust free tools anymore

Emma Parker

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 18, 2018
Cyber-stalkers prey on their targets with easy to access information such as public posts, profiles, photos and by guessable passwords for your social accounts. If you meet someone in the street, and know their Name and Where they work, you can easily find their social profiles.

I would not go as far as avoiding social media sites all together, but learn about ways to protect yourself online by exploring the available privacy options and limit exposure.
Share only what you are comfortable with others knowing about you. For example, you would not share your Home Address, so why would you post your Mobile number or Email address online, as with Photos with locations close an area you may live.

If you are unsure, Google yourself to see what information is out there.

Did you purchase PureVPN or another service?

You can share you PC Security Configuration and find out ways to improve your computer security.
Thanks it was helpful and yes I'm using purevpn right now and before that i was using free tools which were not free at all :/

Emma Parker

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 18, 2018
Hey @Emma Parker! I believe it strictly depends on what kind of privacy you're looking for. Web anonimity or to go light on the data you share on the web? For example, if you don't care about Google or Facebook, then you can have accounts and use them, just limit what you post and who it's shared with.

I personally do not care about Facebook or Google. I use these kind of services. I just control them carefully.
  1. I don't share addresses, bank details, or any identifiable information rather than my name and age.
  2. I limit my posts to be seen only by my added friends
  3. I do not participate on any data collection or "anonymous" service to help the product improve
As for tracking I try to avoid fingerprinting at maximum. Fingerprinting is mostly the cause of direct advertising and spam emailing, also used to track you for several reasons. For this, I use AdGuard for PC (not the extension) which blocks all type of ads and tracking online, even on software, not limited to browsers. I also added Canvas Defender to Chrome and HTTPS Everywhere.

I have my VPN always ready to use when I connect to ANY wi-fi spot that is not my home's. Depending on your local government's regulations, you may use the VPN 24/7 to stay more private.

I also changed my DNS to a more secure one.
Thanks for the detailed message. I don't prefer free tool anymore and yes I also use VPN (paid) but I'm too afraid to loose my data again. I have a daughter too

Emma Parker

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 18, 2018
Cyber Stalking is very real and a growing problem. 8 years ago someone my wife ran into at work saw her name badge. Later he said he found out everything about her and was going to intrude on her life (not in those exact words obviously). But what my didn't tell him was who she was married to and everything he found was either 'planted' information by me or not even her information at all. All of it was a dead end.

I've learned a long time ago the importance of maintaining some level of privacy/anonymity. I'm a ghost online. My real name doesn't exist as a searchable entity and I haven't used it online in a decade. I have a dozen assumed identities. My home address while searchable isn't tied to a real name. Google Maps is blackened out on my street. My tax, county and state records are all privatized. I've recently extended this level of privacy/anonymity to my wife and children who are now ghosts online.

The good thing is - once you take control of all of this it's very easy to maintain. Just check yourself on search engines once or twice a year and file privacy/opt-out forms to knock yourself off anything you re-appear on. It's far better to get a handle on this as early as possible than it will be in the future to attempt to regain control after the dam breaks on all of your stuff. It's far easier to keep control than it is to regain control. For example if photos get out there, they'll be there forever.

Also there are services that can help. Some are free, some cheap, some expensive, some maintain it forever for you. Also I recommend removing/deleting extraneous accounts you no longer use to reduce your exposure and threat surface.

Just Delete Me | A directory of direct links to delete your account from web services.

Clean up your online presence.
Sorry to hear about it but the resource you have shared are awesome thanks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.