Not open for further replies.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
There are a couple of things I'd suggest:
  • Set User Account Control to Always Notify.
  • Add a secondary real-time solution to supplement Windows Defender's protection. This is completely optional but I personally don't feel Defender is strong enough to provide adequate protection on its own. You could add Zemana Antimalware Premium or HitmanPro.Alert if you're willing to splash some cash or if you'd rather a free solution there's Xvirus, VoodooShield or Comodo Firewall. (If you decide to add Comodo Firewall it needs to be configured properly. I suggest following this setup video from our resident Comodo expert, @cruelsister.)
  • Add a password manager such as LastPass, KeePass, Dashlane, etc. Use it to generate and store unique passwords for all your accounts.
  • If you'd like some web blocking to go along with Windows Defender, I'd suggest Avira Browser Safety.
Besides those points listed above your configuration looks solid.
Thanks for sharing. :)

Last edited:

LuciusHaydn

Level 1
Verified
Mar 19, 2017
I certainly agree with both of the above posts. I personally would suggest KeePass for a password manager, and that is only because I know it well, and everything is stored locally. It really is a wonderful and versatile program that I prefer and use.
Also while I generally would agree that Windows Defender is not enough for real-time, I have heard that it is much better with the Creators Update which you are using. Not sure just how much better, and would love to get more info on that.
As @Arequire mentioned among the free suggestions, I really love either Voodooshield or Comodo Firewall using the settings via @cruelsister . If you go with either of those, Windows Defender really will be more than enough. :)

inuyasha

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
There are a couple of things I'd suggest:
  • Set User Account Control to Always Notify.
  • Add a secondary real-time solution to supplement Windows Defender's protection. This is completely optional but I personally don't feel Defender is strong enough to provide adequate protection on its own. You could add Zemana Antimalware Premium or HitmanPro.Alert if you're willing to splash some cash or if you'd rather a free solution there's Immunet, Xvirus, VoodooShield or Comodo Firewall. (If you decide to add Comodo Firewall it needs to be configured properly. I suggest following this setup video from our resident Comodo expert, @cruelsister.)
  • Add a password manager such as LastPass, KeePass, Dashlane, etc. Use it to generate and store unique passwords for all your accounts.
  • If you'd like some web blocking to go along with Windows Defender, I'd suggest Avira Browser Safety.
Besides those points listed above your configuration looks solid.
Thanks for sharing. :)

i'm currently using the trial of zemana antimalware premium. when that runs out, i think i will get avast

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Hello,
I recommend a password manager. I like Lastpass for my personnal use. And for my job, I'm using keepass and the browser extension keefox. Because I don't want to put the corporate passwords on the cloud and I don't need to sync them. These two products are nice.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
i'm currently using the trial of zemana antimalware premium. when that runs out, i think i will get avast
You could start using AVAST Free noe & when Zemana trial runs out you can use it as an on demand scanner.
You might consider an additional on demand scanner(s).
Secure Windows 10 config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

inuyasha

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
You could start using AVAST Free noe & when Zemana trial runs out you can use it as an on demand scanner.
You might consider an additional on demand scanner(s).
Secure Windows 10 config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

thanks for the secure tag. now i feel official B). gonna start schoolin some rookies on their weak configs

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.