Involved in a data breach? Firefox to test alerts in the browser

Involved in a data breach? Firefox to test alerts in the browser - Useful or not?

• Yes, this is useful feature

• No, I don't need it

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
When a company suffers a data breach, there are currently a limited number of ways users get to hear about it.

Usually a company will tell its customers via email. At this point, the media often makes a fuss too, which is how bad news is spread to the wider world.

A less obvious but increasingly influential route is through Troy Hunt’s Have I Been Pwned? (HIBP), a breach reporting site we’ve covered a bit recently.

HIBP is influencing breach reporting in two ways. First, because it often hears about breaches before companies do, said companies then hear about problems earlier (although that can still be years on from an incident).

Second, users hear about breaches earlier, both from companies told about them by HIBP but also, if they are registered users, direct via email or by manually checking on the site itself.

For instance, HIBP was behind the discovery of the Disqus breach in October as well as this week’s Imgur incident, to pick only two examples.

Now, Mozilla has had a radical idea – why not display HIBP’s alerts about breached sites inside the Firefox browser itself?

Browsers already warn users about phishing sites, malware downloads and insecure digital certificates, so extending this to data breaches sounds logical.

In a GitHub posting, Mozilla engineer Nihanth Subramanya has posted the code for an experimental add-on that developers can use to test this.

Read more: Involved in a data breach? Firefox to test alerts in the browser

Last edited by a moderator:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Folks are just now starting to get how serious Mozilla & FireFox take security, and the people they are willing to work with to further that goal. Chrome should take notice before they end up the next IE later down the road, if you think that's not possible keep paying
attention ;)

Reactions: bribon77

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I agree brother, I have a question though, who added the Poll ?
I can see editing it for content, and I am not too good at disabling the links in pre-formed posts so I appreciate the staff helping,
but with the added content like the poll this is no longer "my" post.
@Jack , please have them not add content that they think needs added or relevant unless they are posting it themselves.
Thanks for making it available reguardless. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.