Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
1566532344481.png

So I use IObit Driver Booster. And in fact, I recommend it as a driver updater that will at least give you the correct drivers.

But IObit is, and as long as I've used them.... they are scummy.

There is a reason that they are designated as a PUP (PUA) by some vendors.

So I go to Driver Booster tonight.

And I get this very serious warning --
1566530548788.png

"There are 4 remote code execution vulnerabilities existed (SIC) in Remote Desktop Services"

Well.... that sounds pretty serious.

But, having experienced the scummy & scuzzy practices of IObit for a while, I'm always a little skeptical of what they say.

On this warning, I'm thinking...... hmmmmm, why wouldn't Windows Update take care of this vulnerability? And... what does this have to do with drivers? The only IObit software I have is the driver updater.

Then when I click and go to the webpage for more information, there are more distortions and misrepresentations and scare tactics.

All this is.... it's scare tactics (FUD) to try and trick you into downloading so-called "IObit Advanced SystemCare."

If Advanced SystemCare is a good product, why do they have to try and scare and trick people into downloading it?

And then when I tell IObit that I'm not interested in their stupid download, I get even more FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt).

1566531198381.png

Wow, if I don't download Advanced SystemCare, my system is LIKELY to be exploited by hackers...

For absolute clarity, there are no updates I need. I'm current.

And it has nothing to do with drivers.

IObit just sorta sucks.

ESET Detects it:
1566531567342.png

There are reasons that IObit products are detected by multiple vendors.

1566532215127.png

Use caution with slimy scummy IObit.

For the MT crowd here, it's easy to see through these deceptive practices and FUD. For the average user.... not good.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
They make some excellent software, aside from their terrible antivirus. But I agree with you. I note that recent versions of Driver Booster include a file which runs a scan in the background for problems with your system and then shows a popup, which lists how much junk files and problems with your system you could fix by installing Advanced SystemCare.

However, there are a few positive things I can say about their software. Driver Booster unlike a lot of alternatives, rarely finds incompatible driver updates and the free version offers almost at much functionality as the paid Pro version. The registry cleaner in Advanced SystemCare won't delete valid registry keys, unlike just about every other registry cleaner, including CCleaner. But, it did have issues with false positives, until I helped them fix it. IObit Uninstaller can scan for leftovers after rebooting. This was a feature I requested. I have no idea if they were already planning to implement it.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. There are more legit softwares around.
To be fair, despite their business practices, they make some very good software. Advanced SystemCare is safer to use then CCleaner or Wise Care 365, because it won't delete valid registry keys. IObit Uninstaller, is one of the best uninstallers.

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I have never trusted a company like Iobit and I don't use their software.
I just don't trust those who praise their programs and install but after a while the system becomes unstable and there are problems so I don't use this company's programs.
I once had a problem with the system due to the installation of their Advanced System Care program and I have not used this company since then.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Going back a while to the Mbam affair they were shown to have 'taken' sigs that were not theirs Mbam & proved they had - They were a company without ethics, a person or company without ethics & in this case who make good software then use extreme tactics to scare (lie) to people have no place in my life - I tried a piece of their software a while ago with a free license then found it was searching my PC for vaporous problems (utter balls), this wasn't a free license either. I though, hmmm not changed one jot & imaged back. Agree with Burrito 100% But: It's their company & they run it how they wish, I however warn people to stay clear as that's my choice.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Few years ago IOBIT Driver Booster broke drivers of my laptop. Every week it'll find some update to download while in reality there's no update available for my laptop drivers. Then one day it broke everything. Anyway, I think anyone who uses Windows 10 don't need to use any driver software anyway as Windows update pretty much takes care of that.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I've said it many times. I have been using iobit programs for over 15 years. I've never had a problem. Very easy installation and uninstallation. For one good test. After clean install windows. install ASC One click and see the results and how fast the windows become and how low is RAM. Iobit uninstaler is one of the best uninstallers. Personaly i use revo pro. Everyone's opinion is respected. But when I have a 15 year experience with these programs ........:giggle::giggle:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Few years ago IOBIT Driver Booster broke drivers of my laptop. Every week it'll find some update to download while in reality there's no update available for my laptop drivers. Then one day it broke everything. Anyway, I think anyone who uses Windows 10 don't need to use any driver software anyway as Windows update pretty much takes care of that.
All driver update software will sometimes cause issues. Driver Booster should cause fewer issues than some the alternatives, as it does a better job at finding the correct drivers. If it finds updated drivers, then there are actually newer drivers available for your laptop. Windows Update usually has outdated drivers and computer manufacturers, typically stop listing updated drivers on the website, within 6 to 12 months of releasing a computer.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I do 2 to 3 clean installations on windows a month. Every time the installation and updates of windows are finished I run the driver booster. I've never had a problem. 13 new drivers after clean instal
Χωρίς τίτλο.jpg

Since they stole all those malware signatures from MBAM, I find them hard to trust.
This was done many years ago.

I have never trusted a company like Iobit and I don't use their software.
I just don't trust those who praise their programs and install but after a while the system becomes unstable and there are problems so I don't use this company's programs.
I once had a problem with the system due to the installation of their Advanced System Care program and I have not used this company since then.
And i had many times problems with the system with the uninstallation with Avira. And?? And now test again the Avira :giggle: :giggle:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
All driver update software will sometimes cause issues.
This is the reason one should not mess with installing driver updating software.
If it finds updated drivers, then there are actually newer drivers available for your laptop. Windows Update usually has outdated drivers and computer manufacturers, typically stop listing updated drivers on the website, within 6 to 12 months of releasing a computer.
Again, this is the exact reason Driver Booster broke my system. It found an updated version of the same driver but it wasn't officially supported by my laptop manufacturer so wasn't compatible with my device but Driver Booster installed it anyway resulted in broken system. I had to reinstall Windows.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
This is the reason one should not mess with installing driver updating software.

Again, this is the exact reason Driver Booster broke my system. It found an updated version of the same driver but it wasn't officially supported by my laptop manufacturer so wasn't compatible with my device but Driver Booster installed it anyway resulted in broken system. I had to reinstall Windows.
Χωρίς τίτλο.jpg
driver.jpg

after this never you have problem

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.