IObit Malware Fighter 3.3.0.8 Free Version

Product name
IObit Malware Fighter 3.3.0.8 Free Version
Pros
  • -nice UI
    -lightweight on system, about 10 MB RAM
CONS
-Installing unwanted software without a choice on my part.
-manual update
-real-time protection, network guard, browser guard not working
-on demand scan protection, absolutely not adequate
-despite the advanced security settings enabled, the program in my opinion is useless.
BOTTOM LINE
I tried IMF other times in the past, obtaining always bad impressions and, once again, was no different: it isn't a "big fighter".
The freeware version hasn't convinced me for nothing, starting from the presumed real-time protection; until there will be Malwarebytes and EEK for additional scans of our PC, I don't think we need IObit Malware Fighter.
I wanted to test the V3 because it is the one currently available, look the version 4 (currently in beta) ... hoping.
L

LabZero

Thread author
When I start scanning, without that I have been asked anything, a downloader start and download a whole series of programs: IObit Advanced System Care and Driver Booster. They are all safe but not required and not expected.
I repeated the installation by placing the flag on "Yes, install Advanced SystemCare Ultimate" and started downloading again all programs. Bad!!

Cattura.PNG

Cattura1.PNG

Cattura2.PNG

IObit Malware Fighter has many features dedicated to protect browser from changes to the homepage, until the installation of security toolbar and dangerous plugins.

Cattura3.PNG

But during my tests...the homepage changes, but no warning by IObit malware Fighter ...

Cattura4.PNG

I used a 15 samples pack from HUB (thanks @sinu): https://malwaretips.com/threads/15-malware-samples-pack-2015-09-25.51328/
with very disappointing results: real-time protection active 1/15.. but not enough ... no signs of life.On demand scan 0/14.

Cattura5.PNG

Cattura6.PNG

Cattura7.PNG
I hope to test the V4 and make a different review.

Thanks everyone for reading :)

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Even the most of the malwares are better than this software. Atleast they do some work - good or bad. I used it one time and from that time onwards it's on my list of most hated and most useless software. Even widnows calculator is a better protection software compared to this piece of *yellow smelly thing* :p.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The version 4 should solve their very downfall fate however let's take an assurance where Bitdefender engine (signatures) will take care majority; but their in-house engine needs a lot of revamp or create from the scratch.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I'll never pay for it. It's good for removing tracking cookies and it's really good at detecting programs sneakily setting themselves on autostart, like my browser does every couple of days. I believe you get the latter function on the free version.

It's done some smart scans on me spontaneously lately, but I haven't had time to evaluate the results. It flagged dozens of things, but they were mostly registry entries that were all code, nothing to tell me what programs were involved. Probably so-called "PUPs" detections. See my attachment. If anybody has advice on how to research such results, I'd appreciate it. I won't let a program delete stuff from the registry without knowing what it is. I always configure security programs to let me have a look at things first.

Attachments

• IObit Malware Fighter Report smart scan 11-8-15.log
    4.2 KB · Views: 538
Reactions: frogboy
L

LabZero

Thread author
I'll never pay for it. It's good for removing tracking cookies and it's really good at detecting programs sneakily setting themselves on autostart, like my browser does every couple of days. I believe you get the latter function on the free version.

It's done some smart scans on me spontaneously lately, but I haven't had time to evaluate the results. It flagged dozens of things, but they were mostly registry entries that were all code, nothing to tell me what programs were involved. Probably so-called "PUPs" detections. See my attachment. If anybody has advice on how to research such results, I'd appreciate it. I won't let a program delete stuff from the registry without knowing what it is. I always configure security programs to let me have a look at things first.

They seem to registry entries related to Adware, PUP, toolbar, etc.
In this case I would like to have another opinion, maybe by MBAM and ADWcleaner to compare the results.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Thank you for this review.:)
I have not and will not use this software, but I still have a question on it:
But during my tests...the homepage changes, but no warning by IObit malware Fighter ...
How do you test its capability of changing homepage? Did you change the homepage manually?
Maybe (I do not know....), this feature is designed to prevent malwares from locking down the homepage after modifying it, rather than prevent the user from changing it.
In my country, malwares that try to modify the homepage and lock it down to make profit, is rampant.
Maybe this feature is design to against such malware?

Could you try to modify the homepage with a 3-rd party software and test whether such an operation will be blocked or not?:)

L

LabZero

Thread author
Thank you for this review.:)
I have not and will not use this software, but I still have a question on it:

How do you test its capability of changing homepage? Did you change the homepage manually?
Maybe (I do not know....), this feature is designed to prevent malwares from locking down the homepage after modifying it, rather than prevent the user from changing it.
In my country, malwares that try to modify the homepage and lock it down to make profit, is rampant.
Maybe this feature is design to against such malware?

Could you try to modify the homepage with a 3-rd party software and test whether such an operation will be blocked or not?:)

Well, simply go to oursufing.com (IMF >> No effective browser protection) well known to insiders
OurSurfing.com is a browser hijacker, a software that changes the start page of your browser.
If you want to try it is sufficient to go to a streaming video site and download one of the many fake plugin and you can find oursurfing.

Last edited by a moderator:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
They seem to registry entries related to Adware, PUP, toolbar, etc.
In this case I would like to have another opinion, maybe by MBAM and ADWcleaner to compare the results.

Sounds good. Are you suggesting the MBAM and ADWCleaner forums or just a couple of scans?

Some programs call Weatherbug adware or a PUP, but I happen to like it very much. I can't let a program go ripping up my registry without being able to see what is being targeted, which is impossible with those all-code entries. I like your suggestion. I'm thinking I'll also go to the IObit forum and ask if they can give me some idea of what these detections are. I wish there was some place on the web where one knows to go to find out what these undecipherable registry entries are...and also those all-code Mozilla extension identities.

L

LabZero

Thread author
Sounds good. Are you suggesting the MBAM and ADWCleaner forums or just a couple of scans?

Some programs call Weatherbug adware or a PUP, but I happen to like it very much. I can't let a program go ripping up my registry without being able to see what is being targeted, which is impossible with those all-code entries. I like your suggestion. I'm thinking I'll also go to the IObit forum and ask if they can give me some idea of what these detections are. I wish there was some place on the web where one knows to go to find out what these undecipherable registry entries are...and also those all-code Mozilla extension identities.
Usually these registry entries are references of the malware removed by antimalware, but if malware is detected but not removed, these references indicate changes made to registry level.
You can do regular scans and always check references to avoid problems.

Reactions: Sr. Normal

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Usually these registry entries are references of the malware removed by antimalware, but if malware is detected but not removed, these references indicate changes made to registry level.
You can do regular scans and always check references to avoid problems.

I do scans with a number of programs. I scan every download (except PDFs--I'm lazy on that:oops:) with Virus Total, Jotti, and Metascan. Probably overkill.;)

I get my PDFs from pretty respectable sources, though.

What do you mean by "check references"?

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I already tested it a while ago on my own, and like every other Iobit software, it is more adware than an effective anti-malware program. I don't recommend using any software of Iobit. It slows down your pc, shows annoying ads and messages and has useless 'protection'.

L

LabZero

Thread author
I do scans with a number of programs. I scan every download (except PDFs--I'm lazy on that:oops:) with Virus Total, Jotti, and Metascan. Probably overkill.;)

I get my PDFs from pretty respectable sources, though.

What do you mean by "check references"?
In the case of ADWcleaner, for example, checking the references you'll avoid the very low risk, but keep in mind, to delete registry keys that might erroneously be attributed by antimalware to spyware/adware but actually serve to operate legitimate applications that you have installed on your PC.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.