iOS 12 will automatically share your iPhone’s location with 911 centers (using GPS and Wi-Fi Access points)

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Apple this morning announced a new feature in iOS 12 which will automatically share your location with first responders when U.S. users dial 911 using their iPhone. The move is meant to address the problems with dialing emergency services from a cell phone, where outdated infrastructure has made it difficult to obtain a mobile caller’s location quickly and accurately, Apple says.

Approximately 80 percent of 911 calls come from cell phones, however, which is why it’s critical to fix this system.

In 2015, Apple launched HELO (Hybridized Emergency Location), which would estimate a caller’s location using GPS and Wi-Fi Access points. Today, Apple said it will additionally use RapidSOS’s Internet Protocol-based data pipeline to securely share this HELO location data with 911 centers, to improve the response times even further.
In typical Apple fashion, the company stressed the new feature’s data privacy. User location data cannot be shared for non-emergency purposes, and only the 911 center will have access to the location during the call itself.

The 911 support was not announced during Apple’s software-heavy WWDC keynote earlier this month, where a number of other privacy, security and A.I.-powered features were introduced as coming later this year in iOS 12. Typically, the new version of Apple’s mobile operating system is release to the public during September, and that should hold true for iOS 12 as well.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I assume you need the GPS enabled on your device for this which isn't much use if like me, you don't turn it on or is not an option to turn it off on IOS ? I know most people have theirs on but i see no need for it with myself :)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Location services can be turned off on iPhones but I'm not sure if it will be overridden by this new feature.
With iOS12 this feature is On even if you kill the location service. I just imagine what could happen if someone would gain access to 911 for what ever reson. Every single phone with iOS12 would be visible and possible to track. I wonder if it also works even when the phone is off as Google had that on Android. Google tracks customer movements with phones even when off | Daily Mail Online

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
With iOS12 this feature is On even if you kill the location service. I just imagine what could happen if someone would gain access to 911 for what ever reson. Every single phone with iOS12 would be visible and possible to track. I wonder if it also works even when the phone is off as Google had that on Android. Google tracks customer movements with phones even when off | Daily Mail Online

That is what i was thinking of when i read this @upnorth because it was still fresh in my mind from when someone posted about it on here, quite worrying to be honest :emoji_fearful:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.