New Update IPFS Companion - Make the Web Faster, Safer and More Open by Replacing HTTP

Do you have IPFS Companion installed?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I might try this!

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Homepage: IPFS is the Distributed Web
GitHub: ipfs-shipyard/ipfs-companion
IPFS aims to replace HTTP and build a better web for all of us.

This add-on enables everyone to access IPFS resources the way they were meant: from locally running IPFS node :)

IPFS is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identities. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open.

Features:
  • Detect requests for IPFS paths and redirect them to a custom gateway
  • Detect hostnames with DNSLink and redirect them to IPNS at a custom gateway
  • Monitor peering and gateway status
  • Inject the IPFS API into every website's javascript context as window.ipfs
  • Share files by uploading them to IPFS with optional preload at a public gateway
  • Toggle between Active / Suspend state of all IPFS integrations
  • Toggle between external HTTP API and experimental in-memory js-ipfs node (via Preferences)
  • Pin, Open Web UI, Copy Shareable Links…
  • …and much more!

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Can someone explain to me this thing like I'm five? I just watched the "Demo" of it and I'm about the same wtf as I was before.
Try this...

Update: In above video it was all good until 5:00, after that it just became a mixture of Pasta and Fries with a topping of Onions (I liked how it looked but didn't know what it was Pasta? Fries? or something else)

The little bit I got from the video, IPFS seems pretty similar to Torrents (P2P). Similar to P2P networks the privacy issues might be pretty bad. Please correct me if I am wrong. At this point I am pretty much guessing from what little I know.

This one is much better for people like me.

Last edited:
Reactions: upnorth

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
The little bit I got from the video, IPFS seems pretty similar to Torrents (P2P). Similar to P2P networks the privacy issues might be pretty bad. Please correct me if I am wrong. At this point I am pretty much guessing from what little I know.

That was my guess too. It's like P2P but for web. Privacy concerns are indeed higher than for downloading some stuff through torrent...

Reactions: upnorth

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Filecoin, is a cryptocurrency and when I saw their involvement and one should pay ( again! I already pay my ISP. ) for file access it was dead easy to make a choice. Thanks but no thanks, and thanks @rockstarrocks for the video. (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: brambedkar59

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.