In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Apple's high-end iPhones have dual 12-megapixel cameras, OLED displays and faster A12 Bionic chips. A cheaper, colorful version comes with an LCD screen.

The iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR, Apple's new iPhones for 2018, are officially here. While the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max have virtually the same guts, just in two different sizes, the iPhone XR introduces a profound shift in Apple's strategy by folding its "bargain" phone into the premium iPhone mix.
The cheaper iPhone XR shares many of the same specs as the top-tier iPhones, but comes in much bright colors and has some slimmed-down features, like a smaller battery than the new iPhone XSes. The pricing is the most attractive for iPhone loyalists. Although there's nothing "budget" about the iPhone XR's $749 starting price, people looking for a new iPhone this year could easily gravitate to the cheaper, more colorful XR.
This reveal of Apple's 2018-2019 lineup is a big moment for the tech giant, which shook up its iPhone range in 2017 when it introduced the iPhone X, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, effectively killing any chance of a future iPhone 9 and turning its whole iPhone naming scheme on its head.
At a time when phones are becoming more and more expensive, Apple's decision embrace of the new "X" family is important because it cements a new strategy for Apple, one that will continue to set the pace for phonemakers as we move toward 2019.

The iPhone XS, XS Max and XR in all their glory

These new iPhones for 2018 will need to impress buyers if Apple has any desire to nudge Chinese brand Huawei -- which outsold iPhones last quarter, for the first time in seven years, and regain its seat as world's second-largest phonemaker.
Keep reading for all the new iPhone specs. In the meantime, preorders for the iPhone XS and XS Max begin this Friday, Sept. 14, with phones going on sale next Friday, Sept. 21. The iPhone XR preorders begin Oct. 19 and go on sale Oct. 26.
IPHONE XR, XS, XS MAX US PRICING

64GB
128GB 256GB 512GB iPhone XR $749TBATBAN/AiPhone XS $999N/A$1,149$1,349iPhone XS Max $1,099N/A$1,249$1,449
NEW IPHONE XR, XS, XS MAX STARTING PRICES

iPhone XR
iPhone XS iPhone XS Max US $749 (64GB)$999 (64GB)$1,099 (64GB)UK £749 (64GB)£999 (64GB)£1,049 (64GB)Australia AU$1,229 (64GB)AU$1,629 (64GB)AU$1,799 (64GB)
iphonexsunveil-still.jpg

Watch this: Apple unveils super-size iPhone XS Max
2:55
iPhone XS and XS Max quick specs
  • Two sizes: 5.8-inch (458ppi) and 6.5-inch (458ppi) with OLED HDR display (Super Retina displays)
  • Colors: Gold, silver and space gray finishes
  • Camera: Dual-camera 12-megapixel wide and telephoto lenses
  • Front-facing cameras: 7-megapixel camera will bring depth to portrait mode photos
  • A12 Bionic chip: 7 nanometer processor promises to launch apps 30 percent faster than 2017 iPhones
  • Storage options: 64GB, 128GB, 512GB
  • IP68 water-resistance rating (2 meters depth; up to 30 minutes in water)
  • Battery life: iPhone XS should last 30 minutes longer than iPhone X; iPhone XS Max claims 1.5 hours longer than the iPhone X
  • Dual-SIM card support through eSIM technology
  • Face ID promises to work faster at unlocking the phones
  • 3D Touch pressure-sensitivite screen
  • Stereo sound with a wider stereo field than 2017 iPhones
  • iOS 12 software
  • Pricing: Starts at $999 (£999, AU$1,629) for 64GB iPhone XS
2018-09-12-11-11-11.jpg

Apple demonstrates camera improvements in the iPhone XS and XS Max.
Screenshot by Jessica Dolcourt/CNETiPhone XS and XS Max cameras

The iPhone XS and XS Max cameras share the same specs (see above), but don't be dismayed. Apple promises you'll get more from the camera than you did with the iPhone X, specifically because of the power of the A12 Bionic chip inside.
The camera's algorithms detect people's faces and bodies, and kick into instant red-eye reduction. Smart HDR can identify highlights and find shadow detail.
Even more interesting, you can now adjust the depth of a portrait mode photo (called the bokeh effect) after you take the photo, which gives you complete control over the blur. All editing happens in the Photos app through a slider.

SEE ALSO
apple-event-091218-iphone-xr-yellow.png

Cheaper iPhone XR comes in flashy colors like yellow, coral, and blue.
Screenshot by CNETiPhone XR specs: Apple's cheaper iPhone

• 6.1-inch LCD screen with 1,792x828-pixel resolution and 326ppi (Retina display)
  • Aluminum body with glass back
  • Single camera: 12-megapixel wide-angle lens, with OIS (same as iPhone XS)
  • Storage options: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
  • Portrait mode photos through software
  • FaceID with same True-Depth camera system as iPhone XS
  • A12 Bionic chip
  • Battery life claim: 1.5 hours more per day than the iPhone 8 Plus
  • IP67 water resistance
  • No 3D Touch on iPhone XR. Instead, you get haptic touch, like a trackpad
  • iOS 12 software
  • Colors: Blue, coral, yellow, white, black, Project Red
  • Price: Starts at $749 (£749, AU$1,229)

Apple event photos: New iPhones and more

2018-09-12-12-22-43.jpg

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
7nm and 30% faster CPU should put it at around 2x the speed of any Snapdragon chip + NVMe storage + 120 Hz OLED display like what?? Apple charges a premium but I think people don't realize that Apple is putting bleeding edge inside their phones and they make it sound so effortless. "Oh yeah we just went from 10nm to 7nm within one generation and a mobile CPU with 8 MB L2 cache.... No big deal"
My Intel Core i7-4700MQ has a combined 7MB L2/3 cache and it can do anything without a stutter. Of course you can't compare apples to oranges (no pun intended) but this CPU will give the phone so much air to breathe and get tasks done. They are probably 2 years ahead of any Android hardware right now and they are making bigger leaps with each release. Who can catch up? The only limit is the battery and cooling unfortunately. Imagine a CPU like that running at 100% all the time with proper cooling? It could easily beat most laptop CPUs. Just incredible and this is coming from a happy Android user.
I think they don't even see Qualcomm as competition anymore. I think they are aiming to make their CPUs faster than Intel's so they can finally put them inside of their Macbooks.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've been following the news around Apple and this years line-up of iPhones are solid. If you are looking to upgrade from the iPhone 6 or 6S, now is the time. The 2018 X-range all utilise the A12 chip, so no major disadvantage when it comes to picking the cheapest of the 3 iPhones.

I think they are aiming to make their CPUs faster than Intel's so they can finally put them inside of their Macbooks.
That's the plan. Apple will eventually move to in-house CPU's for their MacBook range.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I bet MacBooks eventually go bye-bye... because Apple earns comparatively very little from MacBooks, but they generate among the company's highest expenses. MacBook support alone brings down the profits.
What do you think of iOS laptops as Chromebook competitors? They probably won't do it but I'd be interested to see it.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
What do you think of iOS laptops as Chromebook competitors? They probably won't do it but I'd be interested to see it.
They really need to just create a thin shell with a keyboard and display and have phones beam the OS to them. Their phones should be fast enough for daily tasks. Just not video and music production yet. Maybe 2 more years and they will be at Intel's level.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I'd like them to release a new iphone SE, which is more affordable (and pocket sized).

I like Apple products but I'm not paying that much for a phone when cheap Android devices do 90% of what iphones do for a fraction of the price. In the UK, the prices quoted in dollars are in £GBP pounds, making them around 35% more expensive !

Apple sometimes discontinue iOS security updates after only 2 years or so, which is a rip-off. I can accept that they dont update product features, but security updates should continue for at least 5 years in my opinion. After all, you are paying premium prices for these things.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
One of the barbers at my shop is all in and ready for his $1100 iPhone.:eek: Have at it. All I know is my wife just spent $150 on my 1st smartphone, a Samsung J3. It calls and texts, about all I need! :barefoot::barefoot::barefoot:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I bet MacBooks eventually go bye-bye...
Won't be anytime soon. They still list the out-dated Mac Mini's.

You mean the iPad and iPad Pro + Pencil + Keyboard. Did you not see the Apple iPad Advert about "What's a computer?"
Here's the link -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQB2NjhJHvY

iPads are also a popular POS device, you'll see them in a lot of retail shops.

Why there is no news about new Macbook's? I am eventually waiting for one. Can any one convince me to not to switch to Mac :p .
Get a MacBook Pro instead. Might cost more, but has better connectivity (side ports). Even newer late-2018 Windows 10 ultrabooks are slimming down to only to a single USB-C port for everything.

I'd like them to release a new iphone SE, which is more affordable (and pocket sized).

I like Apple products but I'm not paying that much for a phone when cheap Android devices do 90% of what iphones do for a fraction of the price. In the UK, the prices quoted in dollars are in £GBP pounds, making them around 35% more expensive !

Apple sometimes discontinue iOS security updates after only 2 years or so, which is a rip-off. I can accept that they dont update product features, but security updates should continue for at least 5 years in my opinion. After all, you are paying premium prices for these things.
You can forget about another SE. The Xr took it's crown.

Cheap Android devices are crap (excluding Oreo Go edition).

Low-end China crap Android devices lack quality, waterproofing and fail to provide quality updates - some have spyware preinstalled. There is also less guarantee of the 2 year of updates, as compared to known mid-rangers and flagships Android devices. But that's not to say all Flagships get the same treatment, and it really does depend on the manufacturers commitment to their users. For example, OnePlus are updating their 3/3T models, whereas other Android's released around that time are not.

As far as I know, the UK (GBP) prices include VAT (Tax), whereas American (USD) prices may not and varies between states (???)

Where did you find this information?
Looks like old information. iPads released since 2013 still receive updates, the older iPads don't.
See table at iPad - Wikipedia

Edit: Grammar

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Cheap Android devices are crap (excluding Oreo Go edition).

I have a Moto G6 for work. To be fair, its a pretty good phone. Less than $200 USD I think.

I also have an iphone (which is certainly better) but not massively so. It really doesn't do anything that my Moto G can't also do.

Reactions: Weebarra

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I have an iPhone 6 i think i'm good with it replaced new battery its all good..

Reactions: Weebarra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.