Advice Request Is 360 (Qihoo) Trustable?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Yes. Qihoo is as trustable as any other security software or Windows itself. There is a lot of negative hype regarding Qihoo that is, just what it is, nonsense.

I am huge privacy advocate and I would use Qihoo. They are no worse than Microsoft or Google Analytics.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I have a love hate relationship with Qihoo. What most people don't realize is, privacy policy means nothing. They could be taking more or less than what they say they are unless you get Emsisoft which allows you to turn off encryption of data and read everything they are sending to their own servers. You the individual have to say "hey I trust Qihoo as a company" to use it. Qihoo does take data, and it does sell data to make money. I have no idea if they anonymize it before doing it. Obviously more than Qihoo does this but many AVs anonymize it before using it (like Avast, Emsisoft, etc).

If you trust the privacy policy and feel they won't overstep it, it's as good as any other privacy policy out there. They claim they won't share personal user information and these include:

screenshot_72.png

Source: 360 Total Security | Download Free Antivirus for PC

Since trust is user choice, you will have to decide to use it or not however protection wise, I recommend it. For free AV, it's probably my favorite in protection, system impact, resource usage, and control over detection (no forced quarantine/deletion by changing one setting).

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Peoples should get over privacy thing because it just making you like a cry little baby over some small stuff. I as myself and other peoples don't have nothing to hide as long i don't do illegal stuffs that involve government, FBI, and Law enforcement watching me. Also, peoples should get over " I don't trust Chinese software" or " I don't trust Chinese company" Look,what's wrong with Chinese software or company? Because we are hacker? Because we are from outside America? Because we are selling your privacy information to other 3rd party company? We are not the only that are doing this, even a huge America billionaire company are doing this as well such as Microsoft, Google, and many others. So don't just makes us outsider feels bad and ashamed when you forgot to look at America itself.

Other than that, i trust Qihoo 360 because i never have any program issue compare to Emsisoft which is reminds me of Bitdefender.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
QIHU 360 SOFTWARE security products (a.k.a. 360 Total Security) are all offered for "free". That means, people may use them without purchasing them.

However, businesses, like QIHU 360 SOFTWARE, unfortunately cannot run on thin air. They need a source of income. QIHU uses these notorious controversial data mining techniques to gain revenue from advertising companies to whom they "lease" it.
I'm very certain, however, that, to at least some extent, this data is anonymized, so that no "real" sensitive information is released to the 3rd parties; only "statistical" data is released.

Take another company for example: Comodo Group, Inc.
That is the company that develops all COMODO products, which are quite popular, and of course, they develop offer their very well trusted SSL Digital Certificates.
Products like COMODO Internet Security Premium, COMODO Firewall, COMODO Antivirus, Chromodo, Comodo Dragon, COMODO Cleaning Essentials, are all offered for free to home and small business users, with a free "lifetime" license.
However, again, this software isn't developed on thin air.
The costs for its development is covered primarily by those SSL Digital Certificates which COMODO offers.
In other words, a company must be paid in someway in order to continue maintaining their products.

This is the basic idea. All in all, I believe there is no serious privacy issue to be afraid of from 360 Total Security.
Make sure, however, that you always download it and install it from the main website: 360 Total Security | Download Free Antivirus for PC,
as other websites may bundle the product with other junkware, such as toolbars and other tracking software.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Sorry to say: I don't trust Chinese software!

Well its just a sign that we are stereotype, some products came from China contains numerous dirty tactics but Qihoo being a legitimate company should not posses any security risk.

To answer that random thought, then yes Qihoo has their trusted AV and their license to the two engines are valid at all.

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
Most all online AV tests like AV comparatives dont test quihoo products anymore for some strange reason? i find it hard to find any online AV test that lists a quihoo product

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
screenshot_73.png

This is from SpiderOak main page... I won't comment on other... undesirable talk... Where is this forum going to nowadays? Too much hostility for my taste.

And one certainly shouldn't distrust a product or people for being from a certain country...

Last edited:

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
the question should be: the internet is trustworthy?
I suspect the internet more than the programs I have on the computer. our privacy ends when we entered the internet...and our apps in smartphonesthat we use daily, collect more than they say...

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I accidentally said "should" instead of "shouldn't" for my last post... which unfortunately reversed what I meant to say. Had to make that apparent before more people hate me.... lol You SHOULDN'T judge a product based on country of origin. Just one of those days for me I guess.

In the end it's all out choice and trust. Can't judge those for not trusting. It's there own personal preference to make. No one elses.

Thunder33345

Thread author
Nov 21, 2015
Well its just a sign that we are stereotype, some products came from China contains numerous dirty tactics but Qihoo being a legitimate company should not posses any security risk.

To answer that random thought, then yes Qihoo has their trusted AV and their license to the two engines are valid at all.
i think stereotype is what cause the distrust in the china/chinese software?

L

LabZero

Hard to believe that Qihoo does this and other software only for the glory. In this regard, before "sponsoring" this antivirius just because It got good results, it would be interesting to see who is behind it, who owns it, what are the activities related to the company that controls it... and, looking at the privacy policy, we can understand many things.
Attention, I can also report this argument even for other manufacturers, however, Qihoo worries me a bit more.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Let's compare as separation of Church and State.

Qihoo's performance as an Antivirus firm does perform really well, which we observe that however its an isolated case when it comes on privacy hence its all about our point of view and judgement.

Qihoo as background of company, is more also on advertising which why their revenues goes on that case since their products are all free as possible.

Overall its an isolated case but if there's something wrong then it will be arise from authorities immediately, however through the years no reports that we can assure as information are been hacked or use from malicious just using a reputable product.

@Thunder33345: Well its from us we interpret the stereotype which coincidentally happens at majority of events, + some Chinese products tends to develop programs or even in real life to be innovated however risks are bound without any assurance of safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.