Advice Request Is 360 Total Security by Qihoo good enough?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
It's not bad protection-wise. Make sure you enable at least one of the 3rd party engines, I'd suggest Bitdefender.
It all comes down on the user usage being online.

You may give it a try to combine it with OSArmor or similar for signature-less protection which qihoo may lack, I think it has some like registry protection..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65228

Qihoo isn't actually all that bad but personally I'd check the privacy policy thoroughly. I won't use them because I don't trust Chinese laws regarding data collection but that's a personal decision of mine.

You may give it a try to combine it with OSArmor or similar for signature-less protection which qihoo may lack, I think it has some like registry protection..
Qihoo actually has a lot of behavioural-based protection mechanisms AFAIK. It's been awhile since I tested it so cannot remember 100% but...

IIRC Qihoo can block unauthorised webcam/microphone access, AutoRun modifications, maybe even code injection and other things. They definitely have a sandbox.

@jackuars You use Qihoo I think? Could you let me know if this is incorrect if you do?

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Qihoo isn't actually all that bad but personally I'd check the privacy policy thoroughly. I won't use them because I don't trust Chinese laws regarding data collection but that's a personal decision of mine.

Qihoo actually has a lot of behavioural-based protection mechanisms AFAIK. It's been awhile since I tested it so cannot remember 100% but...

IIRC Qihoo can block code injection attacks, unauthorised webcam/microphone access, AutoRun modifications, and other things. They even have a sandbox.

@jackuars You use Qihoo I think? Could you let me know if this is incorrect if you do?
Same case with me, been so long since last time I tried it. But yes that's right.
Here's a full list of features compared between each version: 360 Total Security: Free Antivirus Protection | Virus Scan & Removal for Windows, Mac and Android

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
I found it to be lacking in terms of 0day protection (their own signatures are bad, and they update BD / Avira only twice a day AFAIK).
I did not try the latest versions (they keep releasing them with pace), but tried it last time in December I think, and had some malware successfully injecting to windows services or their own, and calling out without Q360 TS doing anything.
Their AutoRun protection really shines however.
As for Java based remote access trojans, Q360 TS is one of many not being able to protect against.
+I don't like how they bloat the TS version, which is clearly superior to the TSE, which isn't updated anywhere as fast as TS.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Not a good AV, late third party signatures, in addition to its bad privacy policy, also has its terrible interface, which just looks and fear 1.jpg There are many very good free AVs out there, focused only on security, Kaspersky Free, ZoneAlarm Free and Bitdefender Free, will give you a good protection.

D

Deleted member 65228

also has its terrible interface, which just looks and fear
Test the Essentials version and not the Total Security. The TS is really bloated but the Essentials is more about security mainly and not optimisation/cleaning crap.

I also saw no advertisements on the Essentials version which were unofficially from Qihoo themselves.

Unless they have changed it in the recent weeks.

On that note... I'd neither recommend Qihoo lmao. I don't trust them.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Tencent is much much better and matured product..decent UI and Seems to use Machine Learning...Very good Anti Phishing--> FREE
Qihoo is on the way soon to become FAKE AV...:)

Reactions: amico81 and Faybert

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
the problem with Qihoo 360, security-wise, is it doesn't have a good behavior blocker, delayed third-party signatures and poor cloud signatures, prone to false positives

I and some testers have tested this product and I could see poor behavior blocker. It's semi-HIPS is not good against malwares, it might be good against ransomwares but now it's even not effective anymore

as long as you don't deal with zero-day malwares, you are fine
it has some useful features such as a sandbox and ransomware protection. you don't have to install sandboxie separately. It's quite light if we don't enable avira signatures but avira signatures are far more updated than BD's

I rather use kaspersky free. Even without the BB/system watcher, it's still far better than Qihoo. Then, add sandboxie and NVT syshardener, or another product

D

Deleted member 65228

But why trust something as MS? and the other several apps? I see everyone talking about AV privacy issues when they are using Windows.. especially 10.
Same with every major company.
I don't trust the Chinese government.

It doesn't mean I trust my own government or other countries governments who have a relationship with my own but at-least I wouldn't be helping a foreign country which I don't trust. It'll be a lot harder for the Chinese government to steal my data if I don't trust them and thus use no Chinese services.

I neither like Chinese data laws. I'm in Europe and I prefer the data laws in the EU than the Chinese ones.

On top of that, Qihoo have to make money with their free products somehow.... Data collection and selling! I'd rather use a less-intrusive AV suite than a free product from Qihoo which turns out to be really intrusive. Most security software track you but there are some vendors out there which really respect your privacy... Emsisoft, BullGuard are two examples.

I'm not saying Qihoo is bad, but personally I don't trust them and likely never will trust them. Not enough to rely on them and actually use them at-least. People can do whatever they want though... if they want to use Qihoo then they can feel free. I'm not trying to make people not use them or follow my opinion as factual because that isn't the case. It's just opinionated.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
But why trust something as MS? and the other several apps? I see everyone talking about AV privacy issues when they are using Windows.. especially 10.
Same with every major company.
There is FAKE hype around Windows 10 Spying on Users.

Reactions: Nightwalker

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Reactions: Nightwalker

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
FAKE hype is created by media outlets who make grabbing headlines to trick people like you.
So people being arrested, because MS reported their private files is hype? Yes, it is against their TOS to store illegal files, but it only shows, that MS is monitoring everything and it even admits it but saying, it is OK, we do not share it with anyone, unlike google, which shares email content with 3rd parties, according to its TOS.

Cortana monitors, what people type/say and uploads it online, to improve user's experience. Smartscreen uploads user files, etc. But as long as you trust MS, it is fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunshine-boy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.