Is a Fingerprint scanner essential for Android Phones?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not all Android smartphones come with a Fingerprint scanner, so I wanted to ask is this functionality essential?

Fingerprint can be used to Unlock Device, Authorize Payments and Passwords.

Reactions: XhenEd and SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I don't have one so no it's not essential for me. The fact i don't use my phone for anything except light browsing might be the reason. Never did a payment or logged on any site from my phone.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
I have a phone with this feature, and, although it can be comfortable in some cases, it's not essential at all. The only thing it can be interesting, is when you use it to cces to your account for doing payments and stuff like that, it could be a extra-security layer.

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
I have this feature in my phone. I think it essential for now and future. Lets think about 2FA concept: If fingerprint scanner is combined with other security feature just like OTP (one time password) and PIN/Password, it will greatly enhanced security measure especially for financial transaction.

Kalimirro

Level 2
Verified
Nov 29, 2013
Biometric devices features will replace any kind of passwords ! Fingerprint Scanners + Iris Recognition Scanners are the futur !

RIP my note 7 !

Reactions: Parsh and SHvFl

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I don't think it's essential but it's there on phones for an extra layer of security. I currently have that setup on my phone (Google Pixel XL). I have it setup where if I can't use the fingerprint reader I have a pattern to use as well. This is with most of my apps there is a fingerprint and or a pin/pattern. It's a good feature for sure but essential no.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I am on the fence about this one but I went with no for myself.
I imagine there will come a time when they are the norm and you can definitely make a point that they are essential in todays world.
There are biometrics that are very advanced however those on the android system are a bit difficult to use at times.
I have tried it but after 3 or 4 denials I want to throw my phone far far away.
I am fine with the security I have in place on my personal phone.

RicharDooM

Level 1
Verified
Dec 6, 2016
It's just another way of giving away your private information to the people on top. In my opinion, these scanners are here not for our convenience, but for misuse of our identity.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
When I chose my phone I had to decide between A3 2016 and A5 2016. A3 has a smaller screen and affordable price, but I ended up choosing A5 because of the fingerprint scanner - I do not regret it.
I do regular payments in Play Store and unlock the phone several times a day. I simply can not imagine how slow these procedures would be if I had to insert a long password.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Read this article

There are no perfect solution at all but it should depend on the state and combination.

Fingerprint is more on customization rather on security side.

PIN code is still a good choice however it can be remove via factory settings unless you want to put protection too.

-----------------------------------

PIN code must be your backup security component since a fingerprint can be bypass with so many ways, by theory or actual.

Reactions: Parsh

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I do regular payments in Play Store and unlock the phone several times a day. I simply can not imagine how slow these procedures would be if I had to insert a long password.
A well memorized 6-digit PIN or Pattern takes no longer, and you cannot use your Fingerprint ID to unlock the device upon a system reboot (at least on iPhone).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.