Is a masters degree worth it for information assurance?

Shade

Thread author
Jun 9, 2015
I am currently a sophomore studying Information Assurance, and have been thinking about a masters in it for a while. I want to go into cyber security (mainly dealing with malware and the like) and was wondering if a masters in information assurance would help or not. Most of the job descriptions I've looked at just say a bachelors and proficiency in python, c/c++, and assembly, with no mention of a masters. It seems like skills are valued over a degree, is this about right? Thanks.

Reactions: Ink

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
A masters degree will never hurt you. An employer looking at at two candidates,one having the basic requirements and one having those plus a masters degree,I think the one with the masters degree would get the job.
Some employers will pay for you to get a masters degree while you are working,something to consider also.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
That depends if you're proficient in the above languages. Getting a Master's is good but sometimes if you're experienced eventhough you've bachelors. Salary wise, those who've completed their Master get more salary. One more thing is your luck that is, you could become a great independent developer for developing AV or you come up with a program that prevent infections/malware from being infected altogether.

Reactions: XhenEd

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Shade- A Masters education will help to differentiate you between an IA Analyst (which it seems you want) from an IA Engineer. Also, make sure that the Institution that you choose for the Grad program is CAE/R accredited.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Masters Degree may become an optional and not mandatory, as long you have enough money then you can go to an excellence school having an available slot for that.

With MD, you are capable to expand more on the position in the work not just on programming but in related to other IT category as well.

Going to a cyber division is not really a bad idea, hence better alternative to programming, database management and more others; due to pretty good demand job.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.