Advice Request Is a RAM Disk really useful?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi Brothers

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2018
So, according to this article, using a ram disk is not that useful because most software already uses RAM as cache. However, there are other sources claiming the opposite, such as this one, whose author claims that even basic stuff such as putting your chrome cache and windows temp folders on the ram disk will give you a speed increase. Is that true? Can I use a ram disk for such purposes? Or is it pointless?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

In the old days ramdisks were useful. I used them way back as early as the 1980s.

These days, not so useful. Also, since you can buy (and I have them), 3,000Mb/s-12,000Mb/s m.2 drives, it makes a ram disk even more of a waste of time.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
From my own experience, RAM Disks didn't make a noticeable difference. Maybe, they did make a difference, but it probably was very minimal for me to even notice. :)

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I have only had 2 instances of a blue screen in Windows 10 and both were because I was using RAM disk and maxed out my RAM usage. Some programs would open slightly faster but it's not worth the risk. If it's in RAM and something happens, it's gone.

Windows already uses RAM for caching out of the box and it does so beautifully so I would advise against any extra. If it was a great idea, Microsoft would have implemented it I like to think.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
It's still adjustable in Win 10 although I tend to agree that it's probably obsolete, there may be a genius here that can enlighten us on the matter, never give up hope men.

Reactions: XhenEd

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
What about the case with 4 GB RAM installed on 32 bit version of Windows? I think that it will be effective use of 1 GB unrecognized space.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
I can say you that is recommended just in a SSD disk and in the pcs with lesser ram. useless if you have 8gb and up, if you doing the pagination on disk you could feel the system slower since even the fastest disks can not be compared with the latency of a Ram hardware, also if you do several activities on disk is much more stress I/0.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
It's extremely helpful for me because
- it increases your HDD and SSD lifespan in long term
- it significantly speeds up loading speed especially browsers

I reserve 150MB of RAMdisk to store my google chrome's caches. more than enough for several hours of browsing and make a script to clean the ramdisk when I open chrome

150Mb is like nothing if we have >8GB of RAM
if I have 6GB, I would reserve 50-100MB
if I have 4GB or less, no RAMdisk or 50MB because it may increase pagefile usage => degrade HDD

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
A lot of nonsense in that article, I will not bother commenting on that. All I can say, that an unused RAM is wasted RAM.
I use it for Temp - setups are instantaneous and I have browser installed there, the cold start/browsing are super fast.
I set 2GB aside using AMD Radeon(TM) RAMDisk (4GB are free). RAMDisk vs my "gaming" HDD (OS is on another HDD).

Attachments

• capture_04252018_215350.jpg
    capture_04252018_215350.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 512

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
A lot of nonsense in that article, I will not bother commenting on that. All I can say, that an unused RAM is wasted RAM.
I use it for Temp - setups are instantaneous and I have browser installed there, the cold start/browsing are super fast.
I set 2GB aside using AMD Radeon(TM) RAMDisk (4GB are free). RAMDisk vs my "gaming" HDD (OS is on another HDD).

Unless you have 64GB RAM or 128GB RAM. 32GB RAM is average when it comes to video editing.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Hi Brothers

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2018

You should compare your speed to the ones listed here 13 Free RAM Disk Tools Benchmarked for Read and Write Speed • Raymond.CC

Choose 100 mib in crystal disk mark and make a 512 mb ram disk. Of course unless you have ddr3 1600mhz memory which is what that benchmark is done with, the results won't be equivalent, but it doesn't hurt to try. If your memory is faster and your results are worse, then at least we'll know amd's ram disk software sucks. Also the free version doesn't save your ram disk content to hard drive and then load it back when your pc boots, but they they gotta do money somehow right

Reactions: vtqhtr413
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.