Advice Request Is 'Alternate DNS' safe or good to use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Is Alternate DNS good to use regarding security and usefulness?
In my test, it blocked several ads and it's good especially in mobile ad blocking

p/s: 1 more question: How to prevent chrome from leaking my webRTC ip address? I tried ublock origin and WebRTC Leak Prevent but it seems neither of them working

Thank you

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Reactions: frogboy

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I have never used Chrome but when using a VPN it works fine with SlimJet and Cyberfox both of which can be configured to stop ip leakage. For changing DNS i use this tool. Dns Jumper

Reactions: Andytay70

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I have never used Chrome but when using a VPN it works fine with SlimJet and Cyberfox both of which can be configured to stop ip leakage. For changing DNS i use this tool. Dns Jumper

I use this tool Dns Jumper - Part 2 to change my DNS. Its simple to use;)
sorry for my non-informative question. Alternate DNS means this: Alternate DNS - Ad Blocking DNS Server
"198.101.242.72 and 23.253.163.53"
These DNS addresses can block ads and it works well in my test :D

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Took a look at the website, doesn't seem very secure. And I agree with the rest, if you want to block ads it's better just to use an adblocker. Personally I have used google public DNS and openDNS for a long time and have no issues with them. Recently I just changed my DNS to DNScrypt for added security. But I find that any reliable DNS servers would do. Here is a list of DNS servers that are reliable and trusted.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Took a look at the website, doesn't seem very secure. And I agree with the rest, if you want to block ads it's better just to use an adblocker. Personally I have used google public DNS and openDNS for a long time and have no issues with them. Recently I just changed my DNS to DNScrypt for added security. But I find that any reliable DNS servers would do. Here is a list of DNS servers that are reliable and trusted.
yeah. alternate dns is in the list you sent :D
so it may be trusted for some daily purposes, not banking

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
yeah. alternate dns is in the list you sent :D
so it may be trusted for some daily purposes, not banking
Ah haha missed that :p
I prefer to put my trust in companies which are bigger and have more robust security solutions in place like Google, Verisign and OpenDNS.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
If you are looking for an AdBlocker featured DNS provider you can consider AdGuard DNS. AdGuard's adblocker both browser plugin and app based one is used by many people and considered a trusted vendor.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

sorry for my non-informative question. Alternate DNS means this: Alternate DNS - Ad Blocking DNS Server
"198.101.242.72 and 23.253.163.53"
These DNS addresses can block ads and it works well in my test :D

I've tested it off and on, it seems effective. However realize your DNS is being handled by what amounts to a shell company. That firm was registered as an LLC at a bulk-corporate registration firm.

Why Incorporate in Delaware? Why Form a Delaware LLC?

So I am not too confident throwing all of my internet activity to what amounts to an unknown entity. I feel the best options are;

1) Spend $50 on a Pi3 kit on Amazon, 30-45 minutes of your time setting up a Pi-Hole DNS server and use curated blacklists.
2) FortiGuard DNS - full spam/phish/malware protection, largely anonymous.
3) Quad9 dns - incredibly fast and reliable, malware protection. (limited in my tests, but still)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I've tested it off and on, it seems effective. However realize your DNS is being handled by what amounts to a shell company. That firm was registered as an LLC at a bulk-corporate registration firm.

Why Incorporate in Delaware? Why Form a Delaware LLC?

So I am not too confident throwing all of my internet activity to what amounts to an unknown entity. I feel the best options are;

1) Spend $50 on a Pi3 kit on Amazon, 30-45 minutes of your time setting up a Pi-Hole DNS server and use curated blacklists.
2) FortiGuard DNS - full spam/phish/malware protection, largely anonymous.
3) Quad9 dns - incredibly fast and reliable, malware protection. (limited in my tests, but still)
thank you for the analysis but this thread is too ancient and people are no longer recommending this DNS sever because recently they started charging some money after ~1 month of usage. In the past, it was free for a long time. There is zero information on the website that indicates this DNS has become a paid service

I see your 3 recommendations but
1) not suitable for me
2 & 3) these DNSes are too slow in my region. According to DNSbench by multiple benchmarks, fortiDNS can be x10 slower than google DNS and quad9 was very slow too
I don't mind about privacy

The best solution is adguardDNS which is completely free, enough and has improved significantly improved since 2017

I use adblocking DNS for mobile devices to block ads in apps. I use adguard and an adblocking browser to surf the web so there is no need for a pihole

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Try Yandex DNS.it's fast(i changed from DNS watch to Yandex)
From Yandex website:
Yandex has over 80 DNS servers located in different cities and countries. Each user's queries are processed by the server closest to him/her, that's why sites open faster with Yandex.DNS in "Basic" mode.
safe:

Basic

Reactions: Evjl's Rain
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

The best solution is adguardDNS which is completely free, enough and has improved significantly improved since 2017 I use adblocking DNS for mobile devices to block ads in apps. I use adguard and an adblocking browser to surf the web so there is no need for a pihole

AdguardDNS is ok, it's not extensive in it's blocking, here's the list;
https://v.firebog.net/hosts/AdguardDNS.txt

The reason that list is there is it is one of the curated Pi-Hole lists you can load locally onto a Pi-Hole without re-directing out to Adguard (and the latency involved). One of the advantages (and it's a big one) of Pi-Hole is your DNS resolution time becomes 0ms, it's locally cached. The second advantage is it blocks ads on ALL devices on your network, even your IoT devices if you have any. The third advantage is far more extensive blacklisting than available from any other adblocking source (DNS, Extension, VPN Loopback). The fourth big advantage is personal whitelist/blacklisting control so you aren't at the whims of some third party. The final advantage is control. You control all resolutions, you can review DNS lookups locally and block or whitelist as desired, customize lists, etc.

So the reality is, almost everyone should spend the $50 and have a Pi-Hole, it will significantly improve security, privacy and performance. IMO.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
The best solution is adguardDNS which is completely free, enough and has improved significantly improved since 2017
Except it is the only DNS service, which does not use its own servers, it uses google, opendns, etc. Not to mention, that blocking ads via dns breaks some webpages. I would love to use it, but without blocking ads. And above all, there is no way to add anything to the filter, opendns in comparison can add anything within a few hours.

Try Yandex DNS.it's fast(i changed from DNS watch to Yandex)
I would prefer YandexDNS, unfortunately Yandex browser does not support it, thought it supports almost every other DNS out there, except their own. (n)

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    48.9 KB · Views: 955
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Except it is the only DNS service, which does not use its own servers, it uses google, opendns, etc. Not to mention, that blocking ads via dns breaks some webpages. I would love to use it, but without blocking ads. And above all, there is no way to add anything to the filter, opendns in comparison can add anything within a few hours. I would prefer YandexDNS, unfortunately Yandex browser does not support it, thought it supports almost every other DNS out there, except their own. (n)

The proper way to use DNS Adblocking is to use uBlock in the browser but disable all of the blocklists except Easylist (not easylist privacy). Then pages will look normal because Easylist formatter will re-format the pages instantly to look pleasing with the blocked ads. Even with Pi-Hole, you should use uBlock with ONLY Easylist enabled to format pages correctly. I block between a half million and million ad/tracking/telemetry/phishing domains, updated hourly via my Pi-Hole. If any pages were broken I would hear about it immediately from the 5 aggressive browsers in this home.

Yandex browser of course supports Yandex DNS! It even uses DNSCrypt.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.