Advice Request Is Apple iOS safer than Windows for Internet banking ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
The safest way to bank is probably NOT to use Internet banking at all. However, it is very convenient.

With this in mind, do people think that Apple iOS is safer than Windows for Internet banking ?

My feeling is that however many security measures you take in Windows, it is very prone to malware and other hacking attempts. Apple iOS might not be immune, but my understanding is that it is much less exposed to malware than Windows. Is this correct ?

Therefore, am I safer doing Intenret banking on my Ipad rather than my Windows PC ? Would I be even safer if I downloaded the relevant banking app for iOS instead of accessing via a browser ?

Thanks.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
With my knowledge, I would say that online banking with its app is more secure on iOS, but detecting an attack or manipulation is harder than on Windows. But in the end, it really doesn't matter if you do business from your PC or from a phone or tablet. I prefer my PC. I don't know, but if I want to check my balance at my bank, I have to enter a code from the SMS. I can't do much more with online banking because I'm underage. That's much more important. Check this out!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There are always risks involved, but you can bet Mobile Banking is more easy and secure than Internet Banking on a Windows PC. There are some limitations on Mobile banking vs Internet banking, but times are changing.

Internet banking
is using the web browser.
Mobile banking is an App for Android/iOS.

Cybercriminals abuse Google Play Store and Apple App Store to publish Fake apps - be wary before installing any app.
  1. Visit your banks website
  2. Look for the mobile banking page
  3. Click the App Store badge

D

Deleted member 65228

The straight up answer is Yes.

iOS is indeed safer than Android and Windows for online banking as long as it isn't jail-broken because iOS is a lot more limited in terms of what other authorised installed software can do. Even if you install an iOS application where the developers have misguided intentions, it will be extremely difficult for those developers to actually do things like intercept browser credential submissions.

OS X isn't on the same boat as iOS in terms of security though.

iOS isn't immune though so still be careful and only download applications from reputable authors on the official App Store.

Daljeet

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
@crezz you feel right and @Opcode already explains :love:
I checkout the updates before performing these types of tasks
Checkout any annoying profile is not installed in your device ( I prefer remove it)
I want to highlight that if you're using iOS device from your end but I prefer Use VPN if you're using Banking App or not and also use some reputed VPN's like Nord which i'm using a lot.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.