plat1098

Level 9
Verified
Interesting. I looked up "scareware" altho' the name should be self-explanatory. Definition.

Someone who isn't a fan of Avast might think it is pushy advertising and marketing gimmicks preying off the internet privacy thing trending everywhere nowadays. It's scareware if it's fake, according to the wiki. Otherwise, it's ignore-ware.

Edit: again? I'm proofing my post and people post the same things above me at the same time. Wow! So I post really quick or it looks funny. :)

Threadripper

Level 7
You can stop them by preventing an Avast process from connecting to the internet, but if you have to stop a process your antivirus uses to stop ads... it's time to stop using it. I myself used Avast for several years before they went downhill.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Content Creator
I would argue that most free AVs that offer similar services like VPNs and such also employ similar tactics to make you buy them, but I would consider the way that avast has decided to phrase their ads to seem like an urgent alert highly unethical.

Most users would be able to see this as a scare tactic and know not to worry, however there are still people that would fall for this "scam" and they would be the ones that are most vulnerable to caving into their scareware.

Reactions: bribon77

carsten ibsen

Level 22
Verified
I have just purchased Avast Premier+Secureline Vpn+Avast Cleanup Premium(you get 60 days of trial when you register your card, on all 3 programs.:)