Votes: 27 38.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Having self knowledge about safe computing habit/safe web surfing/downloading is good,it will boost ur protection against getting infected as well as it will boost any AV protection capability. But as a AV, i'll only say that AVG is not a good product like it older 2012 version. as per as detection/removal capabilities it still lacks plus issues of having false positive. If u r looking for AV then search for other AV who is lightweight plus having good capability for removing malware & having a decent detection rate/virus signature database with less false positive issue. there are some freewares out there in market, no need to pay any penny.

Reactions: Oxygen

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I've used it on 3 PCs wayback 2011 in a net shop I managed. Then I switched to Panda when I have problems with game patches. Not stable really. Last 2 of 5 infected laptops I've repaired have AVG installed. I have to replace it with Avast.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I did test a lot of samples the last days on Panda cloud free, in both real system and Vm. One of them, after extracting some dozens of samples in a folder, I clicked to run samples and for a mysterious reason Panda did not react for all of them, as all the other times.
So, maybe you re right..
If this is not an example of what describes what you say, I would like to hear analytically what do you mean :)

You need to let the PC online, panda is checks the files with Process Monitor / Behavior Blocker and sends all the info to Panda Labs and when the info comes back it will make the samples "Suspicious File". You will not get instant detection, also the files are in the list when you open active process so you will see the "trust level" also mode info about them.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
their zero day protection haves improved but i feel its not ready to take on bad malware like rootkits

Reactions: Koroke San

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Question about AVG, When the trial for the paid version expires does the product still provide protecting by reverting to the free edition or is the user left unprotected until he/she buys a license?

Thanks.

Reactions: Kent

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Question about AVG, When the trial for the paid version expires does the product still provide protecting by reverting to the free edition or is the user left unprotected until he/she buys a license?

Thanks.

I would assume you would use the AVG Downgrader tool, as such for trial versions. So It may apply for expired paid versions? (Not tested).
http://malwaretips.com/threads/avg-downgrader.19851/

Or you can buy a license to continue using the paid versions.

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
AVG hmmm...average performance. No infection while I was using it (free). Have not tried the promo's posted by Bora though...still am busy. But then again getting infected is a two-way street between the user and the application. Common sense and behavior. Some people(not MT members) tend to have an inkling that an AV is an "install and forget" application and then afterwards cry wolf when they get infected because of their own behavior or "common sense" (--whatever common sense they use). User input is very necessary for any application to be able to help you effectively. If some still believe in that inkling and still do whatever they want online or not chances are an infection is not far behind and this cycle will go on and on and on. Just mt two cents.

JAMESWT

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2014
Is AVG good antivirus ?

nope!
stick with microsoft windows defender.

Sorry but avg is better 100%

Windows defender is not comparable.... look inside malware virus exchange... Microsoft is in the last detetion rank. Another thing... You should enaple pup detection on avg in the option...

I am not a avg fan boy but i like true opinion based on private and www test.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Not a fan of AVG, but they have improved a lot. Its results in many independent tests are very good. I remembered a situation when i installed AVG internet security on a computer, detecting two active worms which Eset Smart Security 7 missed. It does not show that one is better than the other but AVG has the potential to be a good product. And i've seen in many videos that its behavioural protection is not bad at all, and better than some other competitors.

S

starchild76

Thread author
AVG is still counting on signatures heavilly and it zeroday componant ( identity protection ) is still weak. the pc security channel did a test with it in the 2014 version as well as 2015 beta , both are mediocre. we as AVG community hall of famers where asked to fill out questionares a couple of weeks back for suggestions on improvement on AVG internet security and antivirus. the devellopment team will take a serious look at this and hopefully we willl see major improvements in beta builds / final release of the 2015 product line. as soon as I have more info , I wil definately share this with you guys.

edit : some people dislike the fact that AVG is a resource hog : not on standard settings , but if you bump up the various settings you will notice impact especially with other realtime apps : winpatrol , malwarebytes anti exploit ( totally NOT compatible with AVG even so the website claims it is . ) the accelerator componant for watching / buffering youtube does virtually nothing : have mentioned this various times , with no fix yet : youtube lags and stutters , buffering is slow ( short and long videos ) especially if you want to watch in hd

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JAMESWT

JAMESWT

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2014
we as AVG community hall of famers where asked to fill out questionares a couple of weeks back for suggestions on improvement on AVG internet security and antivirus. the devellopment team will take a serious look at this and hopefully we willl see major improvements in beta builds / final release of the 2015 product line. as soon as I have more info , I wil definately share this with you guys.
Sorry but Avg Support and Malware Team not do WORK..

I Sud and Sud malware for Android and Windows and they not add detection or add after 2 weeks. ..
Sorry but if AVG continue is not the best way to improved ...

Reactions: starchild76

GabiCRX

Level 8
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
Is AVG a good AV ?
No.
When i used it awhile ago, i got a lot of infection, now i see it has medium results, so no.

S

starchild76

Thread author
avg internet security 2014 test ( focus on identity protection performed by the pc security channel )

avg internet security 2015 beta test ( main focus on identity protection performed by the pc security channel )

as you can see dramatic improvements are very much needed

S

starchild76

Thread author
Sorry but Avg Support and Malware Team not do WORK..

I Sud and Sud malware for Android and Windows and they not add detection or add after 2 weeks. ..
Sorry but if AVG continue is not the best way to improved ...

@JAMESWT I am going to escalate this case in the AVG hall of famers group and to our community managers and see if we can improve this , dont know if this has to do something with a under staffed department or that the problems lie somewhere else. as soon as I know more I will report back ok?

JAMESWT

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2014
ok thank you and i hope you understand .... free submission and not detection after week = lost time for 0 result ... ;)

Reactions: starchild76
S

starchild76

Thread author
sure I do understand we can all help make AVG a better product and all of the comments the negative , as well as the positive ones can helpus out a lot :p

S

starchild76

Thread author
@JAMESWT : this is what I have posted on the hall of famer group page :

John J Maver / Jasdev Dhaliwal / Anthony Vincent Green : I am getting some complaints on malwaretips.com from people who upload zeroday malware samples to the AVG labs and after a period of two weeks , the are still not detected by AVG or added to the database , remember this guy is a massive uploader and he hopes AVG will sort this thing out , or he will stop uploading samples ( android malware as well as for the other AVG products ) the samples are ALL confirmed as being malicious. on malwaretips.com certain members will upload packs , so all of us scan the packs and sent feedback , other vendors do detect or inmediately add to their database.

JAMESWT

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2014
thanks ... but i have post too and they contact me with mail ... add 2 malware and after 1 weeks ... silence and not more add ....
anyway I HOPE ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.