Is Avira planning to scrap the use of Toolbars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
According to their tweet, posted today:
https://twitter.com/avira_betatest/status/379520436511322112

‏@avira_betatest
We have something new for you … #afuturewithouttoolbars #avira #beta

Could this mean? We'll have to wait and see.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Really? You do know it's completely optional. Anyway, if they're removing it, I'm suspecting they'll have a browser extension.

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Hi!

+1 to ryan.

Avira is a good software but bad management.

G

Guest28

Earth said:
Really? You do know it's completely optional. Anyway, if they're removing it, I'm suspecting they'll have a browser extension.

If i am correct they don't supply web protection without the toolbar????? unless things have changed?

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
They got to make money off their free users somehow and if they're not doing that with a toolbar anymore (that pays Avira for every install) they'll plant ads all over a product, Fair enough it's free so can't expect too much but I wouldn't like to see advertisements done AVG style for example with the rubbish sponsor links that look like regular button functions that can trick novice users, or Avast style with the time-trap pop-up in bottom right corner every day that shows at the most inconvenient times. (Have they changed that now by the way?)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Web Protection is extra and somewhat a gimmick similar to DNS-blocking. If you want Avira's protection, you need the Antivirus software.

MrXidus, during testing Avira Free I didn't once see a pop-up Ad, now it could be because that's the Beta.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avira have released a Beta of Avira Browser Safety:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Avira-Browser-Safety-BETA-released

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.