Advice Request Is Bitdefender Trustable anymore?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Hi MalwareTips :)

i have a question in my mind since 2 months ago ( i haerd about this for the first time 2 months ago ) since i heard about this : AntiVirus Firm BitDefender Hacked; Turns Out Stored Passwords Are UnEncrypted

and something worst is that BitDefender had no statement against that news...

now the biggest question in my mind is that Is BitDefender Trustable anymore?
hope you guys can help me to find an answer for my concern :D

All the Best,
Parham

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
i just finished a chat with BitDefender Commerical Support ( he/she said he/she is the supervisor of their shift and his/her answer is official ! )

Part of our chat:

January 26, 2017, 12:42 pm - Parham : what was BitDefender Official Statement against this news: AntiVirus Firm BitDefender Hacked; Turns Out Stored Passwords Are UnEncrypted
January 26, 2017, 12:43 pm - Alexandra Ivan : Bitdefender was chosen the best security solution worldwide 5 years in a row.
January 26, 2017, 12:44 pm - Parham : thats clear already for me, thats why i'm here
January 26, 2017, 12:44 pm - Parham : but still that is a question, i need an answer
January 26, 2017, 12:44 pm - Parham : there is no where so i can ask my question?
January 26, 2017, 12:45 pm - Alexandra Ivan : What is your question? What do you mean by "it was not solved"?
January 26, 2017, 12:46 pm - Parham : as you can see, Hacker claimed that Customers Passwords was Uncrypted ! was that true?
January 26, 2017, 12:46 pm - Parham : thats it.
January 26, 2017, 12:47 pm - Alexandra Ivan : Our customer's account are perfect safe.
January 26, 2017, 12:48 pm - Parham : Ok then. is this answer official? you got this from a supervisor? hope you underestand my concern
January 26, 2017, 12:49 pm - Alexandra Ivan : I am the supervisor of this shift actually. I perfect understand your concern but there is no reason for you to think about this. Our customer's account are perfectly safe.
January 26, 2017, 12:50 pm - Parham : Thanks! i have no more question, i wish you have a gread Day :)
January 26, 2017, 12:50 pm - Alexandra Ivan : Thank you for choosing Bitdefender Chat Support! Do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance, as we are here 24/7. Have a great day!

W

Wave

now the biggest question in my mind is that Is BitDefender Trustable anymore?
Is this a joke? Every company can be hacked, even Google, as long as the hackers are determined enough - nothing in this world is perfect/full-proof.

Microsoft have been hacked before, yet you are still running Windows... Sony were hacked, yet people still use PS4. That's an example.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Is this a joke? Every company can be hacked, even Google, as long as the hackers are determined enough - nothing in this world is perfect/full-proof.

Microsoft have been hacked before, yet you are still running Windows... Sony were hacked, yet people still use PS4. That's an example.
if you read carefully my posts, you can underestand ( i assure you , you can :D ) my concern is not about that their servers hacked ! main problem is that Hacker claimed their customers password was uncrpted in their servers cloud wherever i don't know... Ok?!

W

Wave

if you read carefully my posts, you can underestand ( i assure you , you can :D ) my concern is not about that their servers hacked ! main problem is that Hacker claimed their customers password was uncrpted in their servers cloud wherever i don't know... Ok?!
Yes, I understand what you mean now, thx :)

Well the date of the article you linked us to is from 2015, we are in 2017 now, whatever damage was done back then was since resolved for sure... And I didn't even hear about this back in 2015, so if Bitdefender never gave their own statement on the situation, maybe it isn't as the story on the article makes out.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
And I didn't even hear about this back in 2015, so if Bitdefender never gave their own statement on the situation, maybe it isn't as the story on the article makes out.
so you think we should let such this important thing in past because it happened in past?
( i hope you underestand what i'm trying to say as my english is not really good ;) )

W

Wave

so you think we should let such this important thing in past because it happened in past?
Yes, that's exactly what I think should happen. Microsoft and Sony were hacked by Lizard Squad (or whatever their childish name was) before yet people still use their services, and nothing is perfect.

In fact, Sony were breached even before that when PS3 was the main console they had. Remember? They were down for over a month!

As for the news from 2015, I'm sure BD learnt from that lesson and use proper encryption now. Even so, everyone makes mistakes... Everything is unsecure on the internet, if you can't handle the risk of a hacker stealing your info from a service you use then don't use the service. Better yet, unplug the router and don't touch the internet (because there are so many ways to be targeted).

There's only so many ways this thread can go: everyone drops Bitdefender because they were hacked back in 2015 (even though almost every popular company becomes hacked at least once in their lifetime), or we just accept that what happened was done a long time ago and move on since the damage was done and resolved.

I know which one I would pick and it's the latter, this is a complete waste of time (no offense).

PS: You'll get no where on live chat for these things, the people at BD you want to be talking to are very high up and difficult to reach. The people on live chat are for customer support, whether they are in charge there or not. They help with normal questions about the software, and usually it evolves around marketing to promote the software... Most live chat are useless more often than not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I am not using any av but if i used or trust one a little bit i will go with kaspersky.
Not to counter your view, but this reminds me of the terrible attack on KASPERSKY LABS that occurred in 2015 through exploiting 3 zero day exploits in Microsoft Installer etc.
It was said to be based on the infamous ‘Duqu’ trojan that resides in the memory, leaving no traces on the disk, hence bypassing primary detection techniques.

Eventually Kaspersky emerged stronger with an idea to tackle such advanced 'probably state sponsored malware attacks'. Data theft couldn't be estimated though.

Anyways, Kaspersky would be my best bet too :D

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
if i remember right, you was testing Antiviruses against Ransomwares, BitDefender failed in your tests? or another reasons? hope you underestand , i need to review all things about BitDefender , as i'm going to choose it for my next product ( after DrWeb ) :D
BD was actually very good. It missed a few samples. KIS and EIS also missed 1-2 samples. AVG missed 1 or 2 more samples than BD
Dr.Web had also similar result but a bit worse than BD, if I'm not mistaken

nothing is perfect. How about choosing EIS or Avast (free) as your next products :D

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
nothing is perfect. How about choosing EIS or Avast (free) as your next products :D
OMG! i'm worried about my privacy then you say Avast ? : ))) god help us :D:D never trust Avast or Avira ..

i'm going to test BD in Malware Hub, in your test BD could catch Petya? i remember that Petya was really important to you :D

Reactions: KGBagent47

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
OMG! i'm worried about my privacy then you say Avast ? : ))) god help us :D:D never trust Avast or Avira ..

i'm going to test BD in Malware Hub, in your test BD could catch Petya? i remember that Petya was really important to you :D
nope, BD failed to catch petya :) I think because petya was there long ago + it makes system unbootable. That's why I think it's important for BBs to block it
privacy is not a problem for me but I will never install a chinese AV :D
it's your choice. I don't know but BD may have better privacy policies than avast

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avast Forums got breached a while back, IObit stole from Malwarebytes a decade ago, and what about AVG's controversial Privacy Policy, are they still "Trustable"? (Rhetorical question)

Security Breaches happen every day, whether known or unknown (Yahoo!). Your company could get "Hacked" tomorrow, will that mean you'll find another job because of a known unpatched vulnerability that was used as a PoA

No service or platform is near-perfect or immune to attacks, someone will find their way in - with or without authorization.

So just as mentioned above, Avast reset passwords and secured their Forum software, IObit realised their wrong-doings and changed. Not sure about AVG, but let's see now that they are owned by Avast. And we'll Bitdefender probably have taken steps to protect their users. You can't walk, without learning to stand.

It's sad to see people jumping the gun, without knowing the full 2 sides of the story.

So, I will ask you, is Bitdefender trustable? You know the answer.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I don't think that bitdefender cares so much about treating their customers nice, maybe that's why they didn't bother to encrypt the passwords.

But on the other hand, I don't think a bitdefender password is so critical. It's not your email or your bank account or your facebook.

Generally speaking, BD is solid protection against most types of threats, but is not so great against certain ransomwares. And it is not so strong when it comes to fully undetected malware.
Its strongest side is its excellent signatures, which download to your computer every hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.