Advice Request Is changing my email from Hotmail to Protonmail worth it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
I have been using a hotmail account for my email for years do you think I should change to proton mail is it worth changing all my accounts settings just for better security and encryption.

Thanks,
Andrew

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I also have a protonamail account but I am afraid that it isn't well known enough and people might flag it as spam when I send something from it to them! :D

Also my hotmail is already widely integrated with my other accounts and it would be a waste of time for me to change the email of all my accounts so I can use a more secure email, when my current hotmail provides me with decent security and spam filtering already.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I have been using a hotmail account for my email for years do you think I should change to proton mail is it worth changing all my accounts settings just for better security and encryption.

Thanks,
Andrew
If your hotmail/live/outlook account is not linked to nearly anything, you can choose to swap to proton. I personally do not see the need to use such service. Google and Microsoft are fine as it is for years.

If you did not have anything important whatsoever, then a migration would be fine but ask yourself this question: is it really worth it and need it?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If you are insist on encryption and privacy free then go ahead, remember that the purpose of having an account is to use for important purposes cause sometimes we provided an account on different services then later on we may not use it regularly.

As long the registration of other websites support those other email services then why not.

A

Alkajak

This definitely is the age of paranoia, and although the paranoia is a tool for us in most cases, it becomes our enemy in some cases. I love this site because it has taught me a whole lot about securing your PC, but it's also taught me that there is no such thing as privacy. Best to just protect yourself, your banking info and your identity through malware prevention. Let the companies/government look through whatever emails they want.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
If your hotmail/live/outlook account is not linked to nearly anything, you can choose to swap to proton. I personally do not see the need to use such service. Google and Microsoft are fine as it is for years.
If you did not have anything important whatsoever, then a migration would be fine but ask yourself this question: is it really worth it and need it?
This definitely is the age of paranoia, and although the paranoia is a tool for us in most cases, it becomes our enemy in some cases. I love this site because it has taught me a whole lot about securing your PC, but it's also taught me that there is no such thing as privacy. Best to just protect yourself, your banking info and your identity through malware prevention. Let the companies/government look through whatever emails they want.
I could not agree more with both of these statements.Sometimes I think people just use these types of programs for the novelty.I really have nothing in any email worth encrypting.If the FBI,CIA,KGB,ABC,NBC,CNN,ASPCA,DEA or NASA want to read my emails go ahead and have at it as there is nothing there worth looking at.In fact there is really nothing there worth me looking at.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The privacy policy of every company is serve as their testament on all the things may done to your information, however our minds will never forgot to create imaginative scenarios as bind from exaggerated media and other networks.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
I have been the member of proton-mail since it's beta stage, i think May/June 2014. I know the risks. I may have used it in all this time not more than 10 times....:D

I cannot think of switching my email account to proton-mail. And when i say my email account, i mean my personal 'cause where i work they already have their own mail server.

I use gmail for my personal mails & they are not that personal that i should be bothered by privacy & encryption issues with Google.

I am concerned about security, but i am not unnecessary paranoid about it.
Ultimate secure privacy is that you have cut all the ties with the real & cyber world. And I definitely don't want that.

Last edited:

hnbp16

Level 1
Verified
Oct 26, 2015
I think it absolutely worth having a ProtonMail account. The mobile apps for Android and iPhone are still in beta testing but I am sure there will be a release very soon.

Reactions: shukla44
I

illumination

I beta tested this email service as well, and have an account now, but never use it. It was more out of curiosity then anything, as I find it really unnecessary.

Reactions: shukla44 and Rishi

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
It was a good initiative no doubt since it's start, but I have 6 different email accounts all of them 'private' spread over 4 services that I really could not think of having another one, besides managing the contacts/history/documents and storage is another issue I don't want and luckily, google and others keep expanding drive space for me.:D More than enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.