Advice Request Is Decentraleyes extension for Chrome/FF REALLY needed?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Let's start with what benefits it brings to the user

1) Protects you against tracking through "free", centralized, content delivery. It prevents a lot of requests from reaching networks like Google Hosted Libraries, and serves local files to keep sites from breaking. Complements regular content blockers.

2) Speed optimization and bandwidth saving as they are local resources now

The question is 'How does CDNs track a user as they're not websites?'

Frequently asked questions · Wiki · Thomas Rientjes / decentraleyes · GitLab

Can CDNs track me even though they do not place tracking cookies?

Absolutely. Requests to Content Delivery Networks contain the "Referer" HTTP header (originally a misspelling of referrer) that reveals what page you're visiting. Techniques like IP address tracking and browser fingerprinting can then be used to associate the aggregated data with your identity.

In short, if no referer is being sent (or hidden/obfuscated) then the CDNs will not be able to track you.

And other means to track you will be likely handled by your other extensions

Secondly, as to whether there's significant savings in bandwidth and speed optimization I really doubt so. If it does significantly speed up your surfing then by all means use it.

There's setting in Chrome/FF to prevent referer being sent. Otherwise choose extension with referer control to do the job.

Some interesting read up here

Does CDN know which website the client is visiting when fetching jquery.min.js or other resource from CDN?

Decentraleyes for Firefox loads CDN resources locally - gHacks Tech News

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just re-tested Decentraleyes vs Local CDN at home and in the office

At Home

Using FF - Local CDN performs faster than Decentraleyes. With many extensions installed I can see a speed up in loading of websites. Running with uBO and the noop rules from Decentraleyes

BTW, you can try out True Sight for Firefox. It gives information on what CDN(s) the website is connected to. Here's the link

Add-on - True Sight for Firefox

Chrome - Have some issue with uBO in Dynamic Filtering. Noop rules from Decentraleyes don't seem to stick when ran with Decentraleyes/Local CDN. Chrome not responding.
Ungoogled Chromium - Managed to get it running fast with Local CDN and uBO in Dynamic Filtering mode with the noop rules from Decentraleyes

In the Office

Using Chrome - Tried running with Local CDN. It's fast. Not using uBO.

For the above tests, using both the extensions, I can see that they do block the CDNs from the following sites

1) foxnews.com
2) cnn.com
3) mufon.com
4) m4ufree.sx
5) dailymotion.com

Edit - Re-tried today for my office laptop with Local CDN and my personal WiFi hotspot. It's sure fast now

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I have used Local CDN since forever instead of Decentraleyes. It is faster and it has given me fewer issues with HTTPS Everywhere and Nano Adblocker/uBlock Origin. I do not use it for privacy reasons much rather security reasons. I much prefer that as many scripts are loaded locally from my computer rather than coming from some remote CDN.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm switching from Local CDN to Decentraleyes since Local CDN has not been updated in more than 1 year. I'm not a fan of that lol
If you use uBO you can add the noop rules from Decentraleyes to it and use Local CDN at the same time provided you don't face issue. I'm using this method

Reactions: DeepWeb

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
If you use uBO you can add the noop rules from Decentraleyes to it and use Local CDN at the same time provided you don't face issue. I'm using this method
Is there a way to run all of Decentraleyes' rules inside of uBO? I would be very happy if I had one less extension to worry about :D

Reactions: Bill K

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Is there a way to run all of Decentraleyes' rules inside of uBO? I would be very happy if I had one less extension to worry about :D
I think those noop rules are the CDNs that Decentraleyes are blocking. You can check what Decentraleyes are blocking vs what uBO with Decentraleyes noop rules are blocking

Reactions: DeepWeb

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
In addition to HarborFront's comment, Decentraleyes uses its own local CDN to replace a website's CDN request. This ensures performance and privacy gains. As far as I know, uBlock Origin doesn't do this. :)

Pirate_fin

Level 1
Verified
Feb 16, 2018
I used Decentraleyes for about a week and it only showed 6 blocked, so i don't now if it's useless or should i keep using it.

Using Firefox tracking protection, Ublock Origin and Privacy Badger.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I used Decentraleyes for about a week and it only showed 6 blocked, so i don't now if it's useless or should i keep using it.

Using Firefox tracking protection, Ublock Origin and Privacy Badger.
Normally blocks CDNs that the other extensions you have installed misses. Also it replaces the CDN trying to tracking you with it's own, thus speeding up your connection as wel to the site you're visiting.

~LDogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.