Advice Request Is DefenceWall Hips still being developed?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesaboogieman

Thread author
Mar 3, 2015
Hi

As there has not been any updates for DefenceWall HIPS for sometime now I just wondered if it was still being developed or is there something new coming out?

I have been using DW without any other security software installed for several years now and have never been infected with anything, so I hope it will continue or be upgraded.

Regards

mesaboogieman

H

hjlbx

As far as I know it is, but slowly. Maybe another member here at MT knows more.

I think the developer is primarily working with Avast for some time now, but I could be wrong.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Illya stated at the end of last month that build 3.25 will actually be released soon (almost 1 year after 3.24 was released), however no 64 bit version will ever be made.

He is apparently disappointed that old-school methods of protection (definition based AV's) are too firmly entrenched in the minds of Home Users (I share his sentiments) to make alternative (and better) products commercially feasible.

mesaboogieman

Thread author
Mar 3, 2015
Many thanks for the info. It's good to hear DW is still being developed and I look forward to the release of V3.25

H

hjlbx

Illya stated at the end of last month that build 3.25 will actually be released soon (almost 1 year after 3.24 was released), however no 64 bit version will ever be made.

He is apparently disappointed that old-school methods of protection (definition based AV's) are too firmly entrenched in the minds of Home Users (I share his sentiments) to make alternative (and better) products commercially feasible.

Typical home user can wrap their head around the concept of detection, because they can be easily trained to push a few buttons...scan, add to quarantine, delete (and maybe restore). That's is about as much as typical home user can manage.

What they do not want to do, realistically or unrealistically, is make a decision that requires even a modicum of IT knowledge = they want 0 user interaction to keep their system secure.

Typical home user has nuclear meltdown when faced with HIPS alert. :eek:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Very well put. It's sad that many firms pander to the lowest common denominator.

D

Deleted member 178

Defensewall not x64 = "hey ! what happens if i shot a bullet in my head?"

pity, great old generation software , i have a license for it, and will surely never use it...

Reactions: upnorth
H

hjlbx

Defensewall not x64 = "hey ! what happens if i shot a bullet in my head?"

pity, great old generation software , i have a license for it, and will surely never use it...

Ilya says no 64-bit Defensewall due to M$ Patch Guard... he can't make Defensewall work properly unless he can modify the kernel - which he cannot do due to M$ Patch Guard.

D

Deleted member 178

Ilya says no 64-bit Defensewall due to M$ Patch Guard... he can't make Defensewall work properly unless he can modify the kernel - which he cannot do due to M$ Patch Guard.
yeah i know, hooks are not only made for the Captain or fishing or put dead beef meat...

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Never had the opportunity to try this. Pity, and MS says no to security, what a shocking development? Will they ever learn from anyone? I wonder how much MS actually discusses anything with the security industry (in unison). Sad to see this happen, because the concept sounds amazing, but, no 64 bit, no success...o_O:(

We are Microsoft, so you do not know!

D

Deleted member 178

Never had the opportunity to try this. Pity, and MS says no to security, what a shocking development? Will they ever learn from anyone? I wonder how much MS actually discusses anything with the security industry (in unison). Sad to see this happen, because the concept sounds amazing, but, no 64 bit, no success...o_O:(

We are Microsoft, so you do not know!

In fact MS is right , if they give clues to how to workaround patchguard , malware writter will take advantage of it.

microsoft is not to blame, they talk quite much with vendors , the best proof is for their firewall; they implemented the WFP API that replaces the old NDIS especially for security vendors, but many didn't want use it...who to blame ? Microsoft ? surely not.

Imagine you have create a solid vault hard to bypass then one day some guys from some companies ask you to give the blueprints claiming they need them to add better security to your vault...seriously?!

In the case of Defensewall the dev claim he needs access to patchguard and can't do defensewall efficient on x64 without it. Kk, so how do Comodo, ReHIPS, sandboxie, Shade, etc...

Not saying the dev work for another well known company (Avast if i recall well) so i guess he has better things to do that finding a way to make it works for x64 system. for me Defensewall is a dead piece of software.

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Imagine you have create a solid vault hard to bypass then one day some guys from some companies ask you to give the blueprints claiming they need them to add better security to your vault...seriously?!

I understand what you mean in this case. I was not aware that others were/are finding ways to work around MS Patch Guard. Anyway, MS does appear closed minded to all opportunities (basically) that involve collaboration. My intention of my statement was really this. Generally, MS seems to avoid working with others, and I think it shows in their anaemic products.

I wonder how much MS actually discusses anything with the security industry (in unison)

The above means how much do the companies of the security industry insist on working with MS, also. It does go two ways. This developer, OK, maybe he was trying on his own to sway MS, but, for sure, MS isn't courting close relationships with the security industry as a whole. Discussion is lacking, and I have to stop myself from LOL that MS has written its final OS. Sorry, that's not possible.

Someday there will be a startlingly better operating system than Windows, security-wise. I really believe this, because even I can see the potential for working with the security industry to make sure the OS is optimized in design for security. Until it happens, all anyone can do is hope for the day...or at least that's how I feel. Nothing against MS. I love the idea of MS...just not the reality of "brilliantly overly simple design"...

D

Deleted member 178

Linux tried, Apple tried, the universe tried... MS Windows is still dominating, why? they understood what businesses and the mass wanted , they made it , now like drugs addicts or sect/cult members , nobody will change their infrastructures/habits.

i heard a story how MS was born, few knew it ; my old computer teacher was an engineer for the NASA at his young time. IBM asked several companies to create a OS for their new machines; several answered , MS among them, IBM asked some requirements and gave a time limit. one French company made a very well designed OS , very efficient and bug-free; but they were late to finish it properly , while MS gave their OS at time but "unfinished" saying small bugs will be addressed later (remind you something?)...guess who won the competition...:rolleyes:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
i heard a story how MS was born, few knew it ; my old computer teacher was an engineer for the NASA at his young time. IBM asked several companies to create a OS for their new machines; several answered , MS among them, IBM asked some requirements and gave a time limit. one French company made a very well designed OS , very efficient and bug-free; but they were late to finish it properly , while MS gave their OS at time but "unfinished" saying small bugs will be addressed later (remind you something?)...guess who won the competition...

True. Yes I read the story, and I am still laughing about that to this day. The question for me is, however, who wins (no pun intended :)) in the final scene? Yes, there will be collaboration and the behemoth will fall! Now seriously, the story isn't over quite yet imho...

BTW, Happy New Year Umbra...:D:eek:

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 178

True. Yes I read the story, and I am still laughing about that to this day. The question for me is, however, who wins (no pun intended :)) in the final scene? Yes, there will be collaboration and the behemoth will fall! Now seriously, the story isn't over quite yet imho...

BTW, Happy New Year Umbra...:D:eek:

happy new year, the day MS will fall , maybe i will be somewhere between the clouds or burning in a pit :p

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For sure one of the main issue why Geswall and Defensewall went their product to be dead; is because the funds in order to be alive in development. They rely more on the donation if insist + possible bugs are not totally reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.