Is installing beta versions of programs or OSes safe ?

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Not at all system can't be stabble with beta software many blue screen of that..
Can't be fully protected if they miss some security implements which can discover during beta test.

Reactions: SumTingWong

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
Beta or even Nightly channel of software development, you agree to take the risks of eventual bug that may arise from such usage; some users allow those conditions because are able to troubleshoot them or either they have a dedicated machine for do beta testing; is usually suggested to not employ beta OS or beta software on production environment, unless having some dedicated machines for it, someone have dedicated machines for such software before rolling it to production channel.

What may go wrong wrong?

Everything, or nothing, data corruption or else...

I know a bit of these for Android, LineageOS after all propose bi-weekly nightlies now :p

On Windows, I am not much interested anymore, no longer a fan of the OS, I have kept just one machine, and thinking of install LTSB on it :)

Reactions: XhenEd

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
There is virtually no difference between beta and stable. Beta is released and tested for some time, when no bugs are reported, it is marked as stable.
But of course every software contains bugs, stable included, some bugs just take longer to be discovered, so basically every software is just beta.
Just 1803 for example, it was marked RTM and after a while, MS has discovered a serious bug, which postponed the public release for 2 months.
Alfa, canary, nightly releases are questionable, but as for betas, they are pretty safe, otherwise they would not be released as stable candidates.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
What do you think ?

I think that those who install beta versions of either an OS or a Security Solution are working without pay as Quality Control employees. Do you really feel your time, experience, and feedback is so worthless?

Let the Peasants (and those that actually get paid for this) work out the bugs...

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I never trust beta OS's. Beta programs, ok. But my OS should be stable and not sending massive amounts of telemetry. Then again, I'm using Windows 10 LOL.

D

Deleted member 178

I think that those who install beta versions of either an OS or a Security Solution are working without pay as Quality Control employees. Do you really feel your time, experience, and feedback is so worthless?
it is hobby who led to got my previous job lol ; so not so worthless :p

Reactions: AriDfoix

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
I was looking over the pihole page and it looks like hardware? Also they have a page with test sites for your ad blockers. Ublock didn'r do so well.
Pages To Test Ad-blocking Performance
Yes, and no, means the project started around RaspberryPi, but can be deployed with docker, or VMs; the difference is that all DNS query will be system wide filtered, in about 1.5 y it helped me identify and blacklist over 150 telemetry domains, some from common commercial Windows software "not so much", more from Android, Windows telemetry is after all not so scary as was denoted, I don't catch much queries from my Windows systems.

34qsc9d.png

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Yes, and no, means the project started around RaspberryPi, but can be deployed with docker, or VMs; the difference is that all DNS query will be system wide filtered, in about 1.5 y it helped me identify and blacklist over 150 telemetry domains, some from common commercial Windows software "not so much", more from Android, Windows telemetry is after all not so scary as was denoted, I don't catch much queries from my Windows systems.

34qsc9d.png
Ok sounds like it can be uded on Windows systems as well without extra hardware?

Reactions: SumTingWong

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.