Is it better to run Antivirus and a Different FireW

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
Thread author
May 25, 2011
so i currently have norton 2012, pretty good for performance bein using since norton 2010 and it has only let me down with a MBR.Tidess i think it was Called,

It was Such a B....to remove after to locked me off the hd but i did it anway,

i was wonder if i ran Eset 5 Av and comodo firewall with D+ if there would be a change in performance Eg. Slowdown?

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Comodo is a light product to use. ESET however uses abit more RAM. I use ESET Smart Security 5 and right now it's hanging around 60K. Comodo last time I checked was using 12K.

If you use ESET Smart Security it has its own firewall and HIPS. NOD32 I know does not have a firewall however I don't know if it has HIPS or not.

NOD32 + Comodo Firewall/Defense+ I consider that to be a fine layer of protection depending on your day to day internet use. You will not get slow down as ESET is virtually invisible on my PC besides that fact it uses 60K. Also if you use second opinion scanners such as Malwarebytes or Hitman Pro that's even better security for your system and judging from your config thread you do.

ESET can certainly keep out MBR.Tidess or in the term you were looking for Rootkit.TDSS. :)

Cheers.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
They are many AV's that are light now days.
Some may run lighter on some systems but on other may run a little heavier.
Since most systems now days have enough RAM, it is not the main concern, CPU cycles can drastically slow down a system even on a quad processor.

Light AV's include:
* Avira Personal (free), Premium & Security Suite (paid)
* Avast Home, Pro & Security Suite (paid)
* Eset Nod32 & Security Suite (paid)
* Norton AV & Security Suite (paid)

For Firewalls: All to a certain point will slow down performance especially the ones with HIPS features. Except for Windows default firewall and your router's firewall. The RAM doesn't make much difference, it is the pausing, stopping, allowing and checking CPU threads, tokens, modules and handles is what slows down systems. Some firewalls also can slow down browsing and connectivity.

It is trial and error to find a firewall that works well on individual systems.
As far as I'm concerned, there is really no such thing as a "light firewall". Once again just because it only uses very little RAM doesn't qualify to be light. Some firewalls can be big monsters and only use little RAM.

I have found that the firewalls included in the Security Suites listed above to be lighter than most stand-alone firewalls and firewalls with HIPS features.

ZoneAlarm Free runs light on some systems then runs heavier on others. ZoneAlarm Free is one of the last real stand-alone firewalls.
Online Armor Free and PC Tools Firewall can be customized to make it run light by disabling the HIPS features.
Comodo also can be customized when installing, if you only install the firewall and leave out the rest of the features.

Of coarse no HIPS features can equal less protection to zero day malware. If you know how to use HIPS correctly you will have better protection, if not then there is no reason to have HIPS because it will just slow down your system's performance.

Good luck.:D

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
I agree with the two posts above.

I am currently using Norton IS 2012, and that is all it is light considering my CPU is only at 1.0GHz... (dual core tho).

I have used ESET NOD32 and Smart, they felt the same on my system, would prefer ESET smart over NOD32 because it has a nice firewall and is not too heavy like a lot others.

Norton i use well, mostly because it has done me well and is very good all around. Only thing i hate is when it blocks things and i have to unblock them manually :p.

Avast IS/PRO/free are all good also. :)

Kaspersky is good as well, but, more heavy then the others in my experience.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well for Firewall the RAM usage were light and can be alongside with an AV (Not a suite).

For suite its better to use since all features were combined including their firewall itself.

Agree to Littlebits since most of the modern days 2GB of RAM is enough and needs to concern from CPU and I/O Writes unless from other people have 1GB of RAM.

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
Thread author
May 25, 2011
Ram is no problem for the more cpu :) i have 10gb ddr3 and amd phenom x4 3.4, thanks for all your replies

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
i was wonder if i ran Eset 5 Av and comodo firewall with D+ if there would be a change in performance Eg. Slowdown?

you said like that, but now you say
Ram is no problem for the more cpu Smile i have 10gb ddr3 and amd phenom x4 3.4, thanks for all your replies

if you not have a problem with ram or cpu usage. why you confuse?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well on your case definitely no experience of slowdown would occur.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
my advice is that you to download Wmware play, test the wanted AV and firewall and see which you like best :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.