Troubleshoot Is it better to uninstall a troublesome program In Safe Mode?

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
The problems with my screenshot programs continued despite the whitelisting. Then around Oct.13 I lost the ability to use my Start Menu (except the Start Button) and the vertical portion of my Quick Launch. If I do use them they freeze and won't get off the screen, and the taskbar freezes as well.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I have uninstalled SnoopFree Privacy Shield with Revo Uninstaller, IObot Uninstaller, Soft Organizer, and Geek Unistaller. Yet the program reappears on Revo, IObit and Feek. MasterSeeker identifies the persistence of C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\ChemTable Software\Full Uninstall\ChangeLogs\Traces\SnoopFree Privacy Shield.changes. But I'm not sure that's the only trace.
I can use 2 out of my 3 screenshot programs in Safe Mode. I can run Glary Utilities in Safe Mode but not in normal mode. Should I run my uninstallers there instead?

I do want to read that .changes file if I can before I destroy it, after all I've gone through. Any advice on that?

Computer
Dell Computer Dimension 2400 (desktop) 2003
Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition (original and pre-installed) 32-bit SP3
reinstalled 02-20-2014
CPU
Intel Pentium 4
Northwood 0.13um Technology
RAM
2.00GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
Motherboard
Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
Default Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Dell)
Storage
80 GB Seagate ST380011A (ATA) 28 °C
3.94 GBGB Lexar USB Flash Drive USB Device (USB)
500.11 GB HGST USB Device (external hard drive)
Optical Drives
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S
Audio
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Anti-Virus
Roboscan

Reactions: MalwareT

dragonmew

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
if you want a decent uninstall program try iobit uninstaller its free and it goes the extra mile when uninstalling programs after its done the standard uninstall it will scan the rest of your pc for any other files related to that program ie in the registry and delete those to, this is why i never use windows built in uninstaller as it still leaves traces of programs on your system and your registry can become areal mess if you dnt clean it up with something, also have you tried using privazer to like permanently erase the files/folders, i would try safe mode if that dnt work then try safe mode w/ networking. also i would download sandboxie from now on to test programs before run on your actual pc.

you need a proper cleaner to get rid of it i think like east tec eraser or privazer

Reactions: MalwareT
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.