Is it necessary to change windows firewall to 3rd party firewall?

Is it necessary to change windows firewall to 3rd party firewall?

• Yes, windows firewall is worthless.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • No, windows firewall is enough for regular home user.

Votes: 24 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
As there are already mentioned many times, i think also win firewall is enough for "regular" home pc user, but just like Exterminator said,,curiosity. I also use some monitor tools for network, but not regularity. Just in case ;),,,sometimes.

@Lockdown What about password-protected public wifi hotspots?

A public wifi can require a password for authentication, but still be insecure if not properly configured, have its own weak management console password, use a weak security protocol, direct access by unauthorized personnel, is hacked by a determined attacker, etc.

There is even rogue public wifi setup to appear as legitimate public wifi.

How likely is any of it ? The risk probably isn't extremely high for the typical user, but common sense and good judgment are a good place to start...

Trust no public wifi - ever - even one that requires authentication.

There is nothing special what I am saying here; it is general advice widely available online.

Best practice:
  • Don't do personally\financially sensitive stuff while connected to public wifi
  • If you must then use a VPN - don't be cheap and just opt for freeware; invest in top quality VPN service like Mullvad or IVPN if you must do a lot of sensitive stuff online using public wifi
NOTE: A big hindrance to using a VPN for online banking is that a lot of banks will not permit you to do online banking using a VPN; they might disable your online banking because they use your IP address to track you as a security measure. You have to sort out what is acceptable to the bank.

Last edited by a moderator:

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Most computer at the shop are using just Windows Firewall with the default settings. Got no problems with that. I think that's enough for the average Joe using Facebook, Youtube, Googling here and there.

In my rig, I have Windows Firewall Control. Just a tiny program that don't slow my PC down with a welcome extra piece of protection.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
A public wifi can require a password for authentication, but still be insecure if not properly configured, have its own weak management console password, use a weak security protocol, direct access by unauthorized personnel, is hacked by a determined attacker, etc.

There is even rogue public wifi setup to appear as legitimate public wifi.

How likely is any of it ? The risk probably isn't extremely high for the typical user, but common sense and good judgment are a good place to start...

Trust no public wifi - ever - even one that requires authentication.

There is nothing special what I am saying here; it is general advice widely available online.

Best practice:
  • Don't do personally\financially sensitive stuff while connected to public wifi
  • If you must then use a VPN - don't be cheap and just opt for freeware; invest in top quality VPN service like Mullvad or IVPN if you must do a lot of sensitive stuff online using public wifi
NOTE: A big hindrance to using a VPN for online banking is that a lot of banks will not permit you to do online banking using a VPN; they might disable your online banking because they use your IP address to track you as a security measure. You have to sort out what is acceptable to the bank.

Good points and advice which indicate that it`s not what the regular/average user should have on their system or their need to be knowledgeable about security wise etc but what they shouldn`t be doing.

i.e. clicking on unsolicited email attachments, giving heed to pop-up email or banking info requests,downloading "free" stuff,visiting websites with a poor reputation etc etc.

So windows firewall does the job good enough for the less wreckless user,imo.

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: Tadas247 and AtlBo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.