Status
Not open for further replies.

Wordward

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
As a one time lover of Avast, it disappointed me when this once excellent software began to slide in detection and have problems. (Blue screens, incomplete uninstalls, bloat, and the list goes on) The latest version looks promising. Just wondered what others thought about the new version. I'm not putting Avast down in any way. But reading posts here and in the Avast forum over the past year or so, indicates what I've said is true. Thanks.

Black Faith

Level 1
Verified
Dec 6, 2015
Tried it last week on my gf's pc.Still buggy as hell.You should visit theyr forums and see what I'm talking about.Feels like the team behind avast has no idea what they are doing lately.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
As a one time lover of Avast, it disappointed me when this once excellent software began to slide in detection and have problems. (Blue screens, incomplete uninstalls, bloat, and the list goes on) The latest version looks promising. Just wondered what others thought about the new version. I'm not putting Avast down in any way. But reading posts here and in the Avast forum over the past year or so, indicates what I've said is true. Thanks.

I have never been disappointed with Avast and have used the free version for 8+ years.
How to setup Avast Internet Security 2016 for Maximum Protection (Guide)

Use this and Avast its basically invincible. :D
"Bloat" is just a matter of what you include. Their is a custom install so anything you don't think you need you don't have to add and you can change and add or decrease what you have.

Tried it last week on my gf's pc.Still buggy as hell.You should visit theyr forums and see what I'm talking about.Feels like the team behind avast has no idea what they are doing lately.

Have you scanned with Malwarebytes or Zemana? Whats "buggy" about it?

Black Faith

Level 1
Verified
Dec 6, 2015
I have never been disappointed with Avast and have used the free version for 8+ years.
How to setup Avast Internet Security 2016 for Maximum Protection (Guide)

Use this and Avast its basically invincible. :D
"Bloat" is just a matter of what you include. Their is a custom install so anything you don't think you need you don't have to add and you can change and add or decrease what you have.

Have you scanned with Malwarebytes or Zemana? Whats "buggy" about it?

Talking about internet security version.Lots of issues with things like the firewall for example.Have no idea about the free version since i got an ais license.In terms of scanning with other software,not needed since it's a fresh install of windows 10.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
the only problem with avast is its high cpu and disk usage
I found a solution for it:
1/ uninstall all unecessary components: just leave file AV and web shield and ... less is better. Avast firewall can cause the problem
2/ turn off Transient caching in advanced menu (I dont remember exactly the place in menu)

voala, no more intensive disk usage

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Yes. Avast is a well built product. Ads can sometimes be on the high side, but I own the full version anyhow (Avast Premier). One thing that I love about Avast is the powerful built in white-listing (hardenmode aggressive). Enable this and very little will get passed Avast.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Talking about internet security version.Lots of issues with things like the firewall for example.Have no idea about the free version since i got an ais license.In terms of scanning with other software,not needed since it's a fresh install of windows 10.

I find after being with Avast so long upgrading isn't entirely needed. :)

If they managed to fix their hardened mode offline ---> online = always allowed, then yes they could be invincible.
Regarding the Avast Aggressive Hardened Mode

I just did a detection test with Avast 89.6 % for malware samples 1000 of them and then detected 74 more bringing it to 97% @Jack 's Avast Config Guide really works. :)

Reactions: Logethica

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I find after being with Avast so long upgrading isn't entirely needed. :)

I just did a detection test with Avast 89.6 % for malware samples 1000 of them and then detected 74 more bringing it to 97% @Jack 's Avast Config Guide really works. :)
I'm guessing your test was based on signature detection, correct?

If not, then does that mean you tested its hardened mode and it managed to block thinks even when they were previously allowed?

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I'm guessing your test was based on signature detection, correct?

If not, then does that mean you tested its hardened mode and it managed to block thinks even when they were previously allowed?

Many of the files that were blocked were also hardened mode. I basically set up the test very similar to the ones done in the malware hub. Scan and then the rest of the files I attempted to execute.

SpartacusSystem

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Aug 6, 2015
I've been a solid Avast user for three years, only switched to their three-year Internet Security package as a reward for recommending Avast to twenty-five people. It's been sound, the people I've recommended it to have no issues neither.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes you can use Avast, honestly ignore the weakest points from detection since it is part of AV to bypass anything especially if component modules are to premature.

However you need to monitor the performance stability on how quick can response on the system.

Wordward

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
Thanks everyone. I was in the Avast forum and nothing looks too frightening. lol There is a thread about Avast and a System File Checker problem, but I'm not sure it's anything I need to worry about. For the most part, the Nitro update with CyberCapture seems to be fairly stable. I will create a system restore point as a precaution and install it tomorrow. Anything else I should know? Thanks.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avast Free Antivirus w/ custom install and got no problems.

If you already use Google Chrome/Opera, you may not want SafeZone browser. Not because it's a secure browser version with baked-in limited Avast extensions, but because it's basically the same browser.

Any from experience, the SafeZone browser had the same history as my Chrome history, without importing any data. :confused:

My Installation includes:
- File Shield
- Web Shield
- Software Updater (Recommend to try it)
- Home Network Security
- Passwords (Optional, but free to use on PC, Android and iOS. If you have an Avast Account you can use the Passwords Sync feature for mobile)

Wordward

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
I hate to say it. But the thread in the Avast forum about Windows 10 and System File Checker problems, prevented me from installing it on my laptop with Windows 10. Below is a quote from the original post.

"System File Checker reports the following:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them."

phyniks

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013
What about Nitro Update
does it mean Avast is now a cloud-based antivirus?
I mean,does it receive virus database to protect system offline?

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
What about Nitro Update
does it mean Avast is now a cloud-based antivirus?
I mean,does it receive virus database to protect system offline?

Avast is still very much a signature based AV but the Nitro Update it has more online components to help with detection, you could say that it is becoming more cloud based but there is definitely still offline protection.

It's actually one of the reasons I use Avast and not Panda or Qihoo

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I've been doing a lot of my own personal testing with security software recently )credits to the guy's supplying the samples in the hub) Anyway, I've never been Asats biggest fan, but I'tweaked the settings, tested it with malware from the hub and malicious links found elsewhere and it impressed my so much I installed it with the tweaked settings. The protection Avast offers just by tweaking a few settings is up there with the best, even better than some. I run Avast with a tweaked Comodo firewall, but the new Avast free antivirus is 100% worth installing, tweak it correctly and there isn't a lot that will get passed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.