Q&A Is it okay to run older versions of softwares in a Windows environment?

Discussion in 'General Apps' started by sido1545, Oct 9, 2015.

1. sido1545

sido1545 New Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Hello guys
    The latest VLC version is 2.2.1, but I love 2.0.8 for it 200 per cent volume feature. Can I install it without having to worry? and I'm not only talking about it is just an example
    Thank you
  2. Anupam

Anupam Level 21

Jul 7, 2014
    Windows 7
    some might say it's not ok but I will say it's completely ok for such kind of software.

If you like it use it. At the max some remote execution can happen, that also you can block using firewall. Just block both incoming and outgoing connections and you are safe. You should not worry about VLC much since it's a well known and reputed software.
    frogboy likes this.
  3. sido1545

sido1545 New Member

Oct 7, 2015
    But don't you think that well known and reputed software are targeted by cyber criminals and hackers? I mean popularity comes with a price.
  4. LabZero

LabZero Guest

Well, don't be paranoid :)
    OK, you should always install the latest versions but the fact that vulnerability will be detected in a software version does not automatically mean they are definitely exploited by a criminal.
    Between one version and the other we would be always at risk but you don't seem to want to install VLC 0.7.1...
    frogboy and Sr. Normal like this.
  5. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    Windows 10
  6. Paul B.

Paul B. Level 4

Dec 21, 2014
    VLC will go higher than 100% using the mouse scrollwheel.

In general, I think older software is ok, depending on what type it is. Browsers I would want fairly up to date, because they are on the bleeding edge of attacks. Media players are not immune to attacks, but you're probably inherently safer with VLC than WMP, and unless you're downloading media you probably shouldn't be downloading, being a bit behind the curve probably is not going to hurt you.
  7. jamescv7

jamescv7 Level 61

Mar 15, 2011
    Web and FileMaker Developer
    Windows 10
    A good habit is to install and update from latest version but it doesn't mean your at risk if didn't.

Let's be practical, bugs may fix from latest vesion but that's depend on risk of a software category holds.

Don't worry, those vulnerabilities shown are part of possible outcomes if you encounter them but in such ordinary day you have then its optional. *

Many of my software are not up to date except browsers because I'm aware that my risk level is low.
    LabZero likes this.