Is it okay to run older versions of softwares in a Windows environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sido1545

Thread author
Oct 7, 2015
Hello guys
The latest VLC version is 2.2.1, but I love 2.0.8 for it 200 per cent volume feature. Can I install it without having to worry? and I'm not only talking about it is just an example
Thank you

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Hello guys
The latest VLC version is 2.2.1, but I love 2.0.8 for it 200 per cent volume feature. Can I install it without having to worry? and I'm not only talking about it is just an example
Thank you

some might say it's not ok but I will say it's completely ok for such kind of software.

If you like it use it. At the max some remote execution can happen, that also you can block using firewall. Just block both incoming and outgoing connections and you are safe. You should not worry about VLC much since it's a well known and reputed software.

Reactions: frogboy

sido1545

Thread author
Oct 7, 2015
But don't you think that well known and reputed software are targeted by cyber criminals and hackers? I mean popularity comes with a price.

L

LabZero

Well, don't be paranoid :)
OK, you should always install the latest versions but the fact that vulnerability will be detected in a software version does not automatically mean they are definitely exploited by a criminal.
Between one version and the other we would be always at risk but you don't seem to want to install VLC 0.7.1...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
Hello guys
Thank you
VLC will go higher than 100% using the mouse scrollwheel.

In general, I think older software is ok, depending on what type it is. Browsers I would want fairly up to date, because they are on the bleeding edge of attacks. Media players are not immune to attacks, but you're probably inherently safer with VLC than WMP, and unless you're downloading media you probably shouldn't be downloading, being a bit behind the curve probably is not going to hurt you.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A good habit is to install and update from latest version but it doesn't mean your at risk if didn't.

Let's be practical, bugs may fix from latest vesion but that's depend on risk of a software category holds.

Don't worry, those vulnerabilities shown are part of possible outcomes if you encounter them but in such ordinary day you have then its optional. *

Many of my software are not up to date except browsers because I'm aware that my risk level is low.

Reactions: LabZero
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.