Solved Is it possible to uninstall windows 8.1 and put windows 7 on laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glasswitch

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Hi, I have just recently purchased a laptop which has windows 8.1 on it. I don't like it- is it possible to put windows 7 on it instead? I love my windows 7 ultimate on my desktop and would rather have it on the laptop also. I know that windows 8.1 is more popular than windows 8 - but I still find it very confusing. Thank you in advance.

Ved

Level 3
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
Hi, I have just recently purchased a laptop which has windows 8.1 on it. I don't like it- is it possible to put windows 7 on it instead? I love my windows 7 ultimate on my desktop and would rather have it on the laptop also. I know that windows 8.1 is more popular than windows 8 - but I still find it very confusing. Thank you in advance.

You should not have any difficulty downgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 7.I have done it so many times on my old machine (it could not run windows 8 properly because of old hardware :( , so returned to Windows 7 :) ) but I suggest you that you should not be downgrading.

Initially it's metro interface may be a little confusing but Give Windows 8.1 some time and believe me You will really like it.I too bought a new laptop with pre-installed Windows 8 (updated to Windows 8.1) and i love it. :) :) :)

To get Windows 7 feel on your Windows 8.1, you can install Pokki and bypass it's Metro UI to log in directly to Desktop.

You may differ on my thoughts.

If you get any problem regarding that,please ask.I might help you.

have a good day !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I

illumination

You should not have any difficulty downgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 7.I have done it so many times on my old machine (it could not run windows 8 properly because of old hardware :( , so returned to Windows 7 :) ) but I suggest you that you should not be downgrading.

Initially it's metro interface may be a little confusing but Give Windows 8.1 some time and believe me You will really like it.I too bought a new laptop with pre-installed Windows 8 (updated to Windows 8.1) and i love it. :) :) :)

To get Windows 7 feel on your Windows 8.1, you can install Pokki and bypass it's Metro UI to log in directly to Desktop.

You may differ on my thoughts.

If you get any problem regarding that,please ask.I might help you.

have a good day !

Your old machine i imagine, does not have UEFI, it is not that simple.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

I have read it is possible, have not tried it myself. From what i read, it sounds pretty complicated to accomplish for an average user. Windows 8.1 does have a few ways to tweak, and make usable the desktop more so then the metro. I mention this, as im not really a fan of the metro stuff myself, but do like the speed and lightness of windows 8, as well as the extra security, so i place just the programs i need in the start menu, unpin those i dont, and work mainly from the desktop.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
UEFI/EFI may cause a problem when downgrading, but it may be possible if you ticker with the BIOS settings.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=downgrade+from+windows+8.1+uefi+to+windows+7

There are methods to make Windows 8.1 more like Windows 7, for example:
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-charms-bar-completely-in-windows-8-1/
Other tools: http://malwaretips.com/forums/enhance-your-desktop.84/

If you use Windows 8.1 Pro, you can use the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) to permanently disable some Windows 8.1 features. For example; the Lockscreen, SkyDrive from File Explorer and others neat tweaks.

Reactions: Exterminator
Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have Windows 7 Ultimate & Windows 8.1 dual booted on my laptop and desktop.Like others have said a little time spent with 8.1 and some tweaks it is really a nice OS.Like illumination I work mainly from the desktop.I would keep 8.1 and spend some time with it.Search the site for tweaks,tips and 3rd party programs that make it a bit more to what you are accustomed to.

Upvote 0

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
I have just recently purchased a laptop which has windows 8.1 on it. I don't like it- is it possible to put windows 7 on it instead?
If your mind is made about your OS preference, and just need to verify that you can downgrade without issue, I would contact the manufacturer of the product, and or, their customer service to obtain confirmation on whether it is do-able.

Upvote 0

PVA_BR

Level 4
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
Why Downgrade, if windows 8 is much more lighter than 7? you can install a little free software called Classic Shell (Official site) and use the speed and security of win 8 with the familiar look of win 7. It's worth a try!

Upvote 0

glasswitch

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Thank you all for such great help. I have now installed Classic Shell on the laptop and it does make it much better! So, I have taken everyone's advice and kept with 8.1 - tweaked it and added Classic Shell. Much Better !

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.