Advice Request Is it possible to use WD as only a cloud AV?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Nagisa

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
I’m currently using SysH + WD + VS + NVTOSA combo. I don’t think I need an AV that much at this point. So I would like to tweak mine to make it only use the cloud engine. Is it possible?

Does it give any significant security problem? How can I do this?

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
I’m currently using SysH + WD + VS + NVTOSA combo. I don’t think I need an AV that much at this point. So I would like to tweak mine to make it only use the cloud engine. Is it possible?

Does it give any significant security problem? How can I do this?
That's not possible, you can only set an exclusion on WD (for ?:\* that means any file on any drive), but it will exclude the files from both cloud-based and signature-based AV.
Smartscreen, anti-exploit and network protection will still work

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
you can only set an exclusion on WD (for ?:\*
I like that idea, but I would modify it a little, based on @Windows_Security's suggestion to me:
set an exclusion for C:\Windows, and for the two Programs files folders. This way, the AV won't slow you down, and won't scan areas of the system that are already sufficiently (and perhaps overly) protected.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not a good idea to solely rely on Windows SmartScreen. Your device is better protected with the local Windows Defender Antivirus. No need to stack multiple whitelisting, behaviour softwares (VDS, OSA etc.) to replace an Antivirus.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Maybe you can utilise Window Defender with Configure Defender to make use of the settings it has? I don't think OSA & VDS are needed on the same system, they pretty much have the same concept, however VDS does use VirusTotal to make sure you make a better informed decision about anything blocked.

~LDogg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.