Is it safe to still use AppGuard version 4 ?

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
On my gaming PC which runs windows 7, I have AppGuard 4 with ESET IS. Recently it came to my knowledge that AppGuard version 4 is discontinued which I think means End of Support if not EOL. So the program will not be updated. So my question is can I still use this program safely? To be honest I really like AG but I hope that an outdated AG will not be a serious risk since it does not rely on definitions like a standard AV.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
The new version v6 has lsass.exe memory-protected, slightly better protection and bug are fixed.

I won't stay on v4, but v6 is way more expensive. Your choice.

I can't afford to buy two security products annually since I'm still a student and the annual price of AG is beyond my capabilities. If I do stay on version 4, are there any vulnerabilities in Ver 4 that can be exploited to compromise the pc ?

D

Deleted member 178

If I do stay on version 4, are there any vulnerabilities in Ver 4 that can be exploited to compromise the pc ?
Yes and no.
For example if you didn't patched your OS against Eternalblue (by disabling SMB1), v4 won't protect against doublepulsar (which abuse lsass.exe)

V4 will still block binaries ran on user/system-space based on your policy.

But honestly, I prefer see you using another soft ( ERP v4 or OSA) than using AG outdated.
If you like SRP like AG, @Andy Ful HardConfigurator is an excellent alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
ERP is still in beta and I don't think osarmor is a SRP. I use HardConfigurator on my windows 10 laptop but since this PC is windows 7 I didn't try it on this one. I used Syshardener instead. Thanks for your opinion. Maybe it's time to switch to Shadow Defender.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I can't afford to buy two security products annually since I'm still a student and the annual price of AG is beyond my capabilities. If I do stay on version 4, are there any vulnerabilities in Ver 4 that can be exploited to compromise the pc ?
If you are a student, why pay for securing your pc? You can easily protect it by using free alternatives. As you have no mission critical real time processing going on your PC other than GTA vice city or something similar, you can easily forgo AG. Use that money on books or other useful materials. I am using CF with NVT ERP 4 beta and have no issues with it. Try that, you wont miss AG.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
For those still on AppGuard 4: it provides the same core protection as later versions. Although it does not have the new lsass protection, as @Umbra mentioned, this is not critical for home users with patched systems. But in a business environment, you need to worry more about it, because of nasty network worms.

Another important point is that on AppGuard 4, you might need to add some things to your policy.
1 If you use Chrome, add it to guarded apps.
2 If you use Windows Defender, set that ProgramData folder to User space: No.
3 If you use Office 365, or Edge, you need to add certain exceptions -- maybe someone could post them?

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
If you are a student, why pay for securing your pc? You can easily protect it by using free alternatives. As you have no mission critical real time processing going on your PC other than GTA vice city or something similar, you can easily forgo AG. Use that money on books or other useful materials. I am using CF with NVT ERP 4 beta and have no issues with it. Try that, you wont miss AG.

I can afford to pay for ESET annually and I already have a lifetime version of AG4.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
For those still on AppGuard 4: it provides the same core protection as later versions. Although it does not have the new lsass protection, as @Umbra mentioned, this is not critical for home users with patched systems. But in a business environment, you need to worry more about it, because of nasty network worms.

Another important point is that on AppGuard 4, you might need to add some things to your policy.
1 If you use Chrome, add it to guarded apps.
2 If you use Windows Defender, set that ProgramData folder to User space: No.
3 If you use Office 365, or Edge, you need to add certain exceptions -- maybe someone could post them?

I don't use Defender. I use ESET IS. For office I use WPS office. I have to add Chrome to the guarded apps then.

Reactions: Weebarra and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@devjit2018, I am quite sure that @Umbra does not mean that ESET IS at default settings will give you the same level of protection as AppGuard. Don't misunderstand our dear friend Umbra.
If you run ESET HIPS in proactive mode, then you do have strong protection, but most users give up after a while, there are too many prompts.

D

Deleted member 178

@devjit2018, I am quite sure that @Umbra does not mean that ESET IS at default settings will give you the same level of protection as AppGuard. Don't misunderstand our dear friend Umbra.
If you run ESET HIPS in proactive mode, then you do have strong protection, but most users give up after a while, there are too many prompts.
Umbra doesn't know what is default settings.
Umbra milite against default settings.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018

Actually I do have the HIPS and Firewall set to Interactive Mode. Since I don't install programs regularly, I kept the HIPS and FW in Learning Mode for 15 days and after the rules were created I set them to Interactive. So no popups unless an unknown program wants to execute.

Reactions: Weebarra and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Actually I do have the HIPS and Firewall set to Interactive Mode. Since I don't install programs regularly, I kept the HIPS and FW in Learning Mode for 15 days and after the rules were created I set them to Interactive. So no popups unless an unknown program wants to execute.
Sounds good!

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.