Is it safe to use AdGuard based on Russian laws?

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
I am sorry I attempted to type the whole question into the topic but I ran out of space.
So basically the question was supposed to be: "Not to be racist or anything but is it safe to use Adguard for either the AdBlocking or the new beta AdGuard Beta DNS capability if the new Russian laws dictate that all logs need to be kept for at least 1 year?" and AdGuard is based in Russia?

Mind you I have one 3 user lifetime lic and 3 one user each lifetime lic for Adguard and am currently beta testing Adguard DNS.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
It's not racist to be concerned about Russia's government or China's government either.

I hope this question will draw a response from somebody who is well informed about AdGuard. In fact, I hope AdGuard sends somebody to interact with us on the forum. Please come!

I haven't burned my bridges with Russia. I got Kaspersky for my next computer. I hope it is maintaining sufficient independence from the Russian government.

Last edited by a moderator:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
To answer your question I have employed AdGuard for over a year now and love it.
I am now combining it with Disconnect premium and have found on average I use less data
and am not tracked or have to deal with Ad's, combined with AdGuards DNS servers I am
as private as one can be without employing Tor and the configurations that requires.
For example there are some products based out of China like Qihoo that I would not
go near even if you paid me, but it is based off of their proven track record, not
where they are from.
Qihoo has done some very stupid things that have rightfully earned them their reputation
but this should not reflect poorly on China as a whole. I hope that made sense.
If your basing you usage of software soley on what country produced it, then it is a
decision based on racist thinking ;)
As far as the record keeping goes, if your not practicing any illegal activities then
there is no cause to sweat it, right ?

Last edited:
L

LabZero

My ISP has the duty of data retention concerning internet traffic for six months for purposes of investigation and prosecution of crimes which can be extended by a further six months in the case of particularly serious offences (which include offences of terrorism, subversion, etc.).
I don't care about that and I honestly don't see the problem with Adguard if they keep the logs of the ads blocked pages and web history, I think in the anonymous mode just IP-based.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am sorry I attempted to type the whole question into the topic but I ran out of space.
So basically the question was supposed to be: "Not to be racist or anything but is it safe to use Adguard for either the AdBlocking or the new beta AdGuard Beta DNS capability if the new Russian laws dictate that all logs need to be kept for at least 1 year?" and AdGuard is based in Russia?

Mind you I have one 3 user lifetime lic and 3 one user each lifetime lic for Adguard and am currently beta testing Adguard DNS.
if you live in russia and you are a political activist or Ukrainian separatist, you should be worried.

D

Deleted member 178

i'm using several of russian apps , and i don't mind. russians are either hackers or paranoids , so a paranoid devs doing security apps it is fine for me :p

i don't mention kaspersky because as a first Russian security company they surely have links to their government, as Norton or MS with the USA.

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
Well it's not like I have something to hide but I do respect my privacy and I do not live in Russia nor I want Russia having my data.

I allready have one nation that knows everything about me (USA) and I don't feel like sharing this with any other nation, especially Russia. I don't want my activity to be fed into the Russia data analysis system.
I don't care for Puta sorry Putin and his ideology and I would like him and his goonies to keep their greedy paws of my data.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
The only response to a concern regarding data privacy is "what are you hiding?". Chances are that these policies are put into place to catch bigger fish. You've got nothing to worry about since the software does not log username and password fields. Your search history is the last of Russia's concerns.

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
The only response to a concern regarding data privacy is "what are you hiding?". Chances are that these policies are put into place to catch bigger fish. You've got nothing to worry about since the software does not log username and password fields. Your search history is the last of Russia's concerns.
Yeah but it logs your IP and your browsing habits I mean I don't want Russia to know that I visit the claptrop subreddit.

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
Yeah but it logs your IP and your browsing habits I mean I don't want Russia to know that I visit the claptrop subreddit.

I think as long as you're not posting Putin wig memes on reddit, you'll be fine.

image.jpg

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
NOICE!

Let's just say that I want to reduce my personal footprint to one nation only and it's the nation of my choosing (not Russia).

Otherwise I would browse the web with no adblocker on and using my own real name everywhere.

I recommend either you make your own filters, or you just stick with uBlock Origin. I never understood the Adguard craze, to be honest.

From ADGuard
Verified
Developer
May 23, 2014
Hey all! You know, I have a deja vu, I think we have discussed the very same topic here some time ago. Also the overall level of discussion reminds me of /r/worldnews a bit:).

Let me clarify some things for you before answering the original question.

Regarding the new laws

if the new Russian laws dictate that all logs need to be kept for at least 1 year?

The new (and old) law is about ISPs. To put it simply, if you live in Russia logs of your actions are stored somewhere and could be accessed by the government agencies any time.

If you live in US, you obviously don't use russian ISP and logs of your actions are stored somewhere else (e.g. PRISM).

Btw, russian PRISM is named SORM and is up and running since 1996. Unlike prism its existence was never a secret.

The whole issue with the new law is not about storing the logs (ISPs do it everywhere). The problem is that they now require to store all metadata about phone calls and text messages and, even more important, they require email and messaging providers to have cryptographic backdoors.

Is your data safe?

I guess I should remind that we do not track your search history or whatever. Everything is in the privacy policy. Your data cannot be unsafe with us, because we have no data.

Also I feel a bit embarrassed answering this sort of questions. This cold-war-like claptrap from both sides brings a lot of confusion.

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
  • We do not allow political or religion threads as the may escalate into flaming and rudeness against MalwareTips, its staff, other forum members or any other party. MalwareTips is truly global and so are its forum members. Cultures, opinions and traditions differ, and MalwareTips forums are a place for cooperation, not clashes.
Forum Rules
https://malwaretips.com/help/rules/

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Let me clarify some things for you before answering the original question.

Regarding the new laws

Well, thanks for showing up and clarifying things like I asked. :D

Also I feel a bit embarrassed answering this sort of questions. This cold-war-like claptrap from both sides brings a lot of confusion.

Take it easy. ;) Our feelings about Putin don't mean we reject the country of Russia per se. Like I said, I myself got Kaspersky for my next computer.

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Well, thanks for showing up and clarifying things like I asked. :D
Take it easy. ;) Our feelings about Putin don't mean we reject the country of Russia per se. Like I said, I myself got Kaspersky for my next computer.
Kaspersky steals all your data for put*n
rofl.gif

Paranoia clouding your judgment;)

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Well Putin and Eugene Kaspersky have been friends since their KGB days. The KGB/Russian Government got his son back when he was kidnapped. Whether or not they help each other no one will ever no, both would deny all knowledge, just amazes me Kaspersky always seems to find this ultra complex malware no other AV company spots.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Well Putin and Eugene Kaspersky have been friends since their KGB days. The KGB/Russian Government got his son back when he was kidnapped. Whether or not they help each other no one will ever no, both would deny all knowledge, just amazes me Kaspersky always seems to find this ultra complex malware no other AV company spots.

Interesting. I have seen the headlines about Kaspersky's discoveries, but I didn't read the stories. Whose malware have they been discovering? Do they withhold the info about the geographical sources?

If the KGB successor agency gathers intelligence about international computer crime and funnels it to Kaspersky because they think that serves the Russian Federation's national interests, that wouldn't bother me. It would bother me if Kaspersky is in any way cooperative with Russia's own computer criminals. But I know, realistically, that Kaspersky is not at liberty to expose before the world the hackers who work for Putin. Eugene K. is big, but he's not the boss of Russia.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.