Solved Is it safe to use Registry Cleaners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Just wanna know if those "Registry Cleaners" are really safe to use or not. I assume a lot of us are intrigue with its function to boost computer performance and also remove all of those junks left by previously uninstalled softwares. But is it really safe for a novice to use it? Isn't that going to cause a lot of trouble for him???

Reactions: Logethica

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
It all depends on a lot of factors:

In general, they are NOT safe to use unless you know exactly what those registry entries do and if your system still needs them or not.

Some registry cleaners take safe measures by auto backing up deleted keys and allow easy restore features in case something goes wrong. However if they delete an important registry key that effects your system's boot process, they can make your system unable to boot.

I don't recommend using them as daily use even if you know what you are doing. It is much safer to use an advanced uninstall tool (like Revo Uninstaller, Geek Uninstaller, IObit Uninstaller) that removes left over registry keys from the uninstalled software.

When most registry cleaners find an invalid key, they automatically mark it as an system error. But just because the key is invalid doesn't mean it will cause system errors. Most invalid keys will not effect your system's performance unless they are invalid system startup entries.

However invalid keys can impact your installed software, not your system in general.

So registry cleaners only are able to fix software related errors, they can NOT fix system errors. That is why it is much safer to use advanced uninstall tools instead.

Although many registry cleaners are included with system maintenance tools, there is NO evidence that they will increase your system's performance.

If you use a registry cleaner, then choose one that is known to be more safer to use. Many freeware versions are available, there is no reason to pay for one. The freeware version are usually much better then the paid software. Most paid software are just scams making promises to solve any type of system errors like crashes and BSOD which registry cleaners can not do.

One of the most safest is the registry cleaner included with CCleaner.

Advanced SystemCare's registry cleaner, jv16 PowerTools Lite, Wise Registry Cleaner, Auslogics Registry Cleaner, Glarysoft Registry Repair and Registry Life are safer then most of the rest.

But still even the safer registry cleaners can potentially cause problems.

Use them at your own risk or just don't use them at all!!

Thanks. :D

Reactions: roger_m
Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
I've scanned for registry junks with CCleaner and found some invalid ActiveX registries. Is it okay to delete those registries? And what will I do if I accidentally delete an important registry key and make my pc unbootable? Thank you for answering my question by the way! :)

Reactions: Logethica
Upvote 0

zeff

Level 1
Dec 18, 2011
Thanks Littlebits. Very clear and easy to get explanation.
Ya i agree with you most of freeware is better than paid one. As you mention some of freeware they are enough. i would say ASC is very safest registry maintenance module, that i am saying with my experience, after trying so many paid and free alternative. i found this module is far best in ASC than other, Never cause any problem. Then i would recommend ccleaner, Auslogics, Glarysoft, etc...one thing should be kept in mind. don't run registry ccleaner tool on daily basis unless you install and uninstall 10-15 software in a day that is quite not trend. So i would recommend run registry cleaner once in a 3-4 weak.

Upvote 0

zeff

Level 1
Dec 18, 2011
King Mellow said:
I've scanned for registry junks with CCleaner and found some invalid ActiveX registries. Is it okay to delete those registries? And what will I do if I accidentally delete an important registry key and make my pc unbootable? Thank you for answering my question by the way! :)

before deleting you should take a back up. For Precaution. Infact in ccleaner when you press fix selected issue button ...it ask you for back up. so yes make a back up and remember the back up location.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Register Cleaners don't boost PC performance.

I take the safe route of using CCleaner after uninstalling with IObit Uninstaller, but occasionally use RegScanner to scan and remove missed keys.

Use them at your own risk.

Upvote 0

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
wildman424 said:
Modifying the registry is not recommended No there are no registry cleaners that are 100% safe I don't recommend the use of ANY registry cleaners.
as they say if you don't have the knowledge to manually edit the registry you should just leave it alone

Here is an excerpt from a discussion on registry cleaners
Most reg cleaners aren't bad as such, but they aren't perfect and even the best have been known to cause problems. The point we are trying to make is that the risk of using one far outweighs any benefit. If it does work perfectly you will not see any difference. If it doesn't work properly you may end up with an expensive doorstop.

This post by Bill Castner is very informative: WhatTheTech Forum

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications.
There are a number of them available and some are more safe than others. Keep in mind that no two registry cleaners work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad" entry. One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause a problem when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly, can render the system unbootable.
The usefulness of cleaning the registry, has been highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone.
Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly can have disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.
For routine use by those not familiar with the registry, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

If your not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=65307&p=329981

miekiemoes said:
I am still wondering why so many people use Registry Cleaners and System Tweaking Tools while they don't even understand what the Windows Registry is, and/or don't understand Windows basics.

"Fix errors now!" and "Make your Windows fast again!", that's how all these tools are advertised.
People download and install it - click the "Fix it all" - Button (since many of these tools have such button available) and then notice that suddenly some programs won't work anymore, errors appear and in worst case, their Windows won't boot anymore...

Yes, I've seen it all... and many still won't believe that this may be a result of these tweaking tools, because after all, they are "supposed" to improve system performance, prevent errors and make a system more stable. Huh?
In most cases, people don't have any problems in the first place - but want to use these tools anyway.

I have to admit that there are some good "tweaking tools" around as well, but you shouldn't use these if you don't have basic knowledge about the registry and Windows in general. Only delete keys if you're certain that they can be deleted. Disable services if you're certain that you don't need them, let it set policies if you understand what they do etc..

Registry Cleaning won't really improve system speed anyway. Even though there are a lot of orphaned keys/values present, you won't notice a difference in system speed. The only difference you'll notice is when you actually search in your registry - but how many people do this?

On the contrary, as a matter of fact, if you "clean" the registry frequently, it actually becomes more fragmented after a while - and *that may* result in slower system performance, although you won't notice much difference.
I rather prefer to have a lot of orphaned keys in the registry, instead of keys/values that were deleted by a registry cleaner, which were not supposed to be deleted in the first place. And that's the risk of these Registry Cleaners, because many list keys/values as orphaned or unneeded while they are actually needed.
After all, a broken registry is a broken Windows.

The same goes for tweaking tools. Tools where you can select to disable certain services and add certain policies. The "Fix it all" button is also available in most cases, or an option where you can check/select several settings - and the more settings present, the more people believe that checking/selecting them all will result in a superfast computer...
Oh yes, check them all .... and complain aftwards:

* "Help! I'm having problems with Windows updates/Automatic Updates!"

Yes, because you disabled BITS, you disabled Automatic updates, or you have set some restrictive policies related with Windows update

"Help! My add/remove programs list is empty!"

Yes, because some Registry Cleaners unfortunately delete the Uninstall key in the registry - reference here. Only new programs installed will be listed there... (See picture above)

And so many more... Check out this thread for more opinions.
So, don't use them if you don't understand these tools.

After all, Don't fix when it ain't broken!

http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/registry-cleaners-and-system-tweaking_13.html

Upvote 0

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Simple answer is no.!
They may have been beneficial on windows xp but are not needed with windows 7.

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Read more on here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

I could not find the history of registry cleaners but since I'm older then most of you, I can remember the first time that I used one.

Back in 1995, when Windows 95 had all sorts of problems, Microsoft developed the first registry cleaner to fix problems on Windows 95 which also supported Windows 98. That was before the NT file system used by modern Windows. Microsoft Registry Cleaner worked excellent on these older Windows OS fixing crashes, BSOD, corrupted software, etc.

But after Windows 2000 was released and the file system changed to NT, Microsoft discontinued their registry cleaner since on the NT file system, registry cleaners was not able to repair system errors, only software related errors and were considered to be dangerous if used on Windows NT platform.

However many third-party developers used scareware tactics to try to convenience users that their registry cleaner could still fix any type of system errors because they could sell their products. They used old data from previous Windows 9x to backup their claims. Microsoft still does not support the use of third-party registry cleaners. Most users still don't know the different between older Windows OS that used Windows 9x compared to Windows NT.

Like I said previously registry cleaners still can fix software related problems on Windows NT but they can also cause damage to Windows.

If you have a problem with installing a new software or upgrading software, registry cleaners maybe able to solve the problem if you want to take the risks.

There is conflicting views on if they can make your system have better performance. From my experience, I have never seen a performance gain from using registry cleaners unless there are corrupted system startup entries. It is much safer to use Microsoft Autoruns if you suspect your system has corrupted system startup entries.

Third-party software developers need to update the info about registry cleaners and quit using old data from Windows 9x. Microsoft knows more about their Windows OS then what these software developers do and if they don't recommend using them that should mean something.

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I have had lots of negative results with registry cleaners, so I would say stay away!

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Here is what the first registry cleaner looked like.

eq7.gif

Microsoft RegClean the last version was released in 2002 to support problems that commonly occurred Windows 9x then it was discontinued.

It is still available for download at MajorGeeks.

Warning do not try to run this tool on Windows NT, it only supports Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows 98SE.

Enjoy!! :D

Upvote 0

landerio

Verified
Jul 19, 2013
Littlebits said:
It all depends on a lot of factors:

In general, they are NOT safe to use unless you know exactly what those registry entries do and if your system still needs them or not.

Some registry cleaners take safe measures by auto backing up deleted keys and allow easy restore features in case something goes wrong. However if they delete an important registry key that effects your system's boot process, they can make your system unable to boot.

I don't recommend using them as daily use even if you know what you are doing. It is much safer to use an advanced uninstall tool (like Revo Uninstaller, Geek Uninstaller, IObit Uninstaller) that removes left over registry keys from the uninstalled software.

When most registry cleaners find an invalid key, they automatically mark it as an system error. But just because the key is invalid doesn't mean it will cause system errors. Most invalid keys will not effect your system's performance unless they are invalid system startup entries.

However invalid keys can impact your installed software, not your system in general.

So registry cleaners only are able to fix software related errors, they can NOT fix system errors. That is why it is much safer to use advanced uninstall tools instead.

Although many registry cleaners are included with system maintenance tools, there is NO evidence that they will increase your system's performance.

If you use a registry cleaner, then choose one that is known to be more safer to use. Many freeware versions are available, there is no reason to pay for one. The freeware version are usually much better then the paid software. Most paid software are just scams making promises to solve any type of system errors like crashes and BSOD which registry cleaners can not do.

One of the most safest is the registry cleaner included with CCleaner.

Advanced SystemCare's registry cleaner, jv16 PowerTools Lite, Wise Registry Cleaner, Auslogics Registry Cleaner, Glarysoft Registry Repair and Registry Life are safer then most of the rest.

But still even the safer registry cleaners can potentially cause problems.

Use them at your own risk!!

Very useful, but I have no reputation rating today.

Upvote 0

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
@Littlebits
Thanks for your detailed info & explanation.I am using Ccleaner normally.But as you suggest take care with all i remember in future.

Upvote 0

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
In another topic ( http://malwaretips.com/Thread-AVG-PC-Analyzer-vs-others-can-it-be-trusted?pid=134396#pid134396 ), Starchild76 wrote:

'the only two regcleaners to be trusted , who don't dig deep into the systems registry are ccleaner and wise registry cleaner. a nice bonus to wise's registry cleaner that it automatically cleanes the entries it considers safe to be cleaned and it leaves the suspicious entries for the user to clean ( these are unchecked for cleaning and pointed out with an exclamation-mark in the results .... ) the rest is too agressive and definately will screw up your system sooner or later! '

I think this same .. but but ..

Wise Registry Cleaner says here that the size of my Registry are 19.5 MB, and it would defragment my 19.5 MB Registry - to new size 18.7 MB (4.05%) - but I think that this operation is not worth the effort nor my own, neither Wise Registry Cleaner .. for now ..
Because removing 19.5 - 18.7 = 1.2 MB of my PC Memory (RAM) is imperceptible, will not accelerate registry read, or read disk, PC performance, you would agree ..?
Then registry cleaners that 'clean' the Registry weighing about 19.5 MB, probably will NOT make accelerate my Registry read function, I think. I don't complain about the speed of reading the Registry, Registry search function, if I want to get a Registry key, so ..

- So registry cleaners are useless, Surely, except to waste our precious time (mine, mine).

What You Think About Please

Upvote 0

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
'Are you saying that 4MB of RAM is giving you incredible performance gains?

What's the largest MB saved you've seen from this? So far in this topic you have, by FAR, the most saved. We have mr PC saving 1Mb (bit) and me saving half a Mb. Another user posted 10% compression and that was something like 1.4MB (if i remember correctly.) This is why I wonder whether or not you're confused as to whether you're gettign your bits and bytes mixed up.

Considering that the only possible benefits from registry compression is that it saves you RAM, I'm wondering how it's giving such performance boosts. Obviously seek time across RAM (ESPECIALLY on such tiny tiny values) is not changing, I wouldn't even put it in the picoseconds.' -
- Read Hungry Man post here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1905845&postcount=80

The whole topic link: What is your Registry Defrag/Compact/Compress tool of choice? : http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=303009

So this case is closed, is not it?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.