Is it worth upgrading to Win10 from Win8.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Not sure about that I've seen new computers with I5 that are very slow with windows 10.
Yeah its true, but a little tweaking can improve performance. Recent versions of prefer lots of RAM, I rarely notice slowdown on my pc w/ 6gigs than my sis's lap w/ 4gigs which crashes when i fire up a heavy game or I/O intensive apps.

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
Yeah its true, but a little tweaking can improve performance. Recent versions of prefer lots of RAM, I rarely notice slowdown on my pc w/ 6gigs than my sis's lap w/ 4gigs which crashes when i fire up a heavy game or I/O intensive apps.
it does not crash because of low memory. lac of memory does not cause the computer to crash it will slow down
Yep Ill upgrade and start killing services.
cheers

Reactions: Morro

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
it does not crash because of low memory. lac of memory does not cause the computer to crash it will slow down
Yep Ill upgrade and start killing services.
cheers
It happened because of low PF set by me, as per recommended size suggested by w10, earlier it BSODs because of insufficient PF. Now I set it to 4GB and problems are gone.

Last edited:

advantage base

Level 2
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
no no no i downgrade from 10 to 8.1 cuse windows 10 eat my internet traffic with custome config and i never upgrade to 10 again.plus windows 10 auto update very bad cuse i dont know whats happen after update to my windows performance
and start buttom dos not work many time

Reactions: Countryboy_MN

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
no no no i downgrade from 10 to 8.1 cuse windows 10 eat my internet traffic with custome config and i never upgrade to 10 again.plus windows 10 auto update very bad cuse i dont know whats happen after update to my windows performance
and start buttom dos not work many time
You could've disabled Delivery Optimization services and w10 no more eats your data relentlessly.

Reactions: Morro and frogboy
H

hjlbx

Not sure about that I've seen new computers with I5 that are very slow with windows 10.

I have seen the same where W10 boinked a mid-grade system.

There have been reports scattered over the net about W10 ruining systems.

The way to do it is to use the 30-day trial and revert if need be... otherwise one loses all down-grade rights after the 30-day trial period.

Reactions: done

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I have an a1 amd with integrated grafics only and 4gb running windows 10 without any performance impact. Only is slow compared to my beast one. Updates on w10 issues is basically the same that happens on 8.1 occasionally nothing is perfect.

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
I have seen the same where W10 boinked a mid-grade system.

There have been reports scattered over the net about W10 ruining systems.

The way to do it is to use the 30-day trial and revert if need be... otherwise one loses all down-grade rights after the 30-day trial period.
Thats not the right way. the best way is to update win 7, disable updates from services.
replace the hard disk and install and activate windows 7. the upgrade from 7 to 10 to keep the licence
Remove the hard disk and use the old one with windows 7.

Remember support will be ended on windows 7 it already did so we have NO CHOICE.
The OS will run fine but other will stop sporting it like chrome flash etc.

I

illumination

Were they upgrades or clean installs of windows 10? I have a Sony Viao with intel i5, a secondary system in the house, it has a clean install of windows 10 "which Sony highly suggested users not upgrading to" and it not only runs just fine, but is light and very responsive. When I initially did the upgrade first, there were some minor issues and slow downs, but the clean install after made all the difference.

Reactions: Razor555 and Rishi

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Were they upgrades or clean installs of windows 10? I have a Sony Viao with intel i5, a secondary system in the house, it has a clean install of windows 10 "which Sony highly suggested users not upgrading to" and it not only runs just fine, but is light and very responsive. When I initially did the upgrade first, there were some minor issues and slow downs, but the clean install after made all the difference.

Yeah there is a trick to make a wipe and do a complete clean install of win 10 without doing the upgrade...
Its very useful but I wont cover it here on how its done and it gets registered just fine... :p

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
I forgot to mention, All the system that I talked about were upgraded either from 8.1 or 7.
The blue screens were upgraded from windows 7. Some kind of display driver problem. I've tried all the trikes in the book (and I know alot) but couldn't get the driver to work 100%.
The I5 was bran new computer, sold on sale, had windows 8.1 install and upgraded to win 10 pro.
For personal use there is no problem but when it comes to clients I will not sit to do clean install for free. its a big Headache, they want everything back it's including software licence, passwords etc.
I'm aware of windows that doesn't work well with upgrades with all the OS but in the win 10 case it seems to be worse.

Regards

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Majority of systems who upgrade tends to suffer little issues on Windows 10, however when cumulative patches arrived, the performance and stability definitely improved and works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.