Is June Update required, or skip to August Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
About a month ago, I upgraded to Windows 8.1 after a factory reset.

At the moment, I have 2 Important Windows Updates pending:
  • June 2014 update rollout (49.7MB)
http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2962409
  • August 2014 update rollout (180.8MB)
http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2975719

Should I install both, or can I skip the June update for the August update? Is the current August update stable and won't kill Windows again?

Reactions: nissimezra

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Huracan, if I remember correctly, there was something wrong with one of the individual updates (..sorry as I'm not certain which) but @exterminator20 had warned of the problem which required removal.
PS I think your new avatar looks cool!:cool:

Update: @Huracan , numerous members have related having had difficulty updating Windows 8.1, though viktik and Juhful offer up hopeful & optimistic feedback.:) As for myself, after coming to Malware Tips, I've experience less (and now zero) :oops:Blue Screens of :eek:Death which I'd blamed upon the combination of problematic Windows updates & additionally a (then) incompatibility with Bitdefener Free. My gut feeling is now that some Windows 8 systems, as I'd read from a past post by Umbra Polaris, were installed upon lap tops which were designed specifically for Windows 7. I believe that is why I'd initially experienced so much trouble, albeit far less now as our Windows 7 continues to be the faster, more trouble free system, and also the preferred lap top computer our family members all vie for first!:D In other words, my wife (The Queen) lays claim most often upon the system that is not Windows 8.1 which interprets as The King must use Windows 8.1 (regardless of affairs of state) it is so decreed!!:p:D

My rule(s) of thumb:
  1. Wait 1 to 2 weeks for any initial difficulties to have had a chance to clear, chances are far greater you'll have no problems. (@Huracan , you fall under (this) my imaginary umbrella time frame.) ..and
  2. I only update "Important updates", ignoring overall the "recommended" (remote enhancing) and "optional" (software driver) updates even as they are often as vague as to prove more difficult than doing any other kind of online search!:mad: ;):D

Last edited:

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Huracan, if I remember correctly, there was something wrong with one of the individual updates (..sorry as I'm not certain which) but @exterminator20 had warned of the problem which required removal.
PS I think your new avatar looks cool!:cool:
Thats why I don't update my system. their is more problem with the update then the viruses;)
I just update my sys once and then once every 6 months or so. because usually MS will remove the bad update after it has been reported as bad. and my chances of getting infected with bad update are lower.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
About a month ago, I upgraded to Windows 8.1 after a factory reset.

At the moment, I have 2 Important Windows Updates pending:
  • June 2014 update rollout (49.7MB)
http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2962409
  • August 2014 update rollout (180.8MB)
http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2975719

Should I install both, or can I skip the June update for the August update? Is the current August update stable and won't kill Windows again?

You had to update from Microsoft right? Not from the store? I had to do restore Windows 8 then update to 8.1 from Microsoft then 1 of the updates,Im thinking August,was the update to 8.1 update 1 . I cannot remember right now :confused:
I will say after an update I had the update problem where after trying to install updates it would not install and rollback.After trying everything I could think of I just reinstalled as I couldnt even get any other recovery option to work.
Needless to say I am a bit skid dish when updating 8.1.1 now

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I believe there was an issue with the August update that has since been fixed, I had no issues with either.;)

dowN1

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 11, 2014

Last night I wanted to install available important updates from the last 2 months (win 8.1) and something went wrong. On reboot I was getting the following error: "We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer"
It stuck on that for hours..I couldn't do anything. After turning off the computer, same message appeared again. I was going crazy..
Finally, I went outside for a few hours and when I came back, everything was ok.
Don't know if you guys talking about that, but you could do more damage installing some updates. As for me, don't think I'll be installing any updates ever again.

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
updates
i had 3 crashes on my laptop within 2 years all of them were on the last 7 months, I always thought that it was some kind of infection. black screen and windows wont boot just black screen. I tried everything i could think of to recover it. sys restore, scan with bootable cd and more. only restoring an image only saved the day. thanks reflect.
I almost had the same crash and i found out it was a schedule task from Toshiba that update my system. that's what killed my pc. so from now on i delete nearly every task. and from that time no problem. i think since November or so.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Same here,although this happened to me pre 8.1 and the 8.1 update is when the problem reared its ugly head.

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
I didn't have any problems with any of Windows 8 (8.1) updates ever. You should update your system the moment there is an update (at least the critical ones).

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
For me the problem was not windows update that is useully disable, it was Toshiba's update
i'm running the stable win 7 not unstable 8

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Huracan it is true that there is a problem with august updates, three of them are causing issues with windows( i must tell you i have windows 7 and these updates make my laptop open and close much slower).
in august i searched for the problem and found out that even on widows 8.1 where causing problems and there are articles which can tell you which updates you shouldn't install. if you leave them out you should be ok.
i hope i have helped you;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.