Q&A Is Malwarebyte still good as an on-demand scan?

Dixz45

Level 2
Thread author
Nov 3, 2021
Today I wanted to install Malwarebyte to scan. I haven't done that for a long time since Kaspersky told me to delete Malwarebyte even though it was an on-demand checker.
I know that Malwarebyte now markets itself as a full protection program like kaspersky and Bitdefender, but it seems that it is not
However, my question is...
Does anyone see that the program is still good and has new discoveries as it was in the past, or is everything he owns now in the had become in protection programs?

kC77

Level 4
Aug 16, 2021
Thanks @kC77

What I know is that real-time detection and blocking is different from detection on scan
Have you tried a malwarebyte scan of an infected system with the samples you mentioned?
ah I thought it meant on "access" scan (realtime) I've not done an on "demand"
cleaning a compromised system I'm not that bothered about, I prefer to not allow it to get infected in the first place.

CyberDevil

Level 3
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Does anyone see that the program is still good and has new discoveries as it was in the past, or is everything he owns now in the had become in protection programs?

It has quite a lot of false positives. Recently it flagged a lot of files from my work project as malware, which was just asp.net for the back-end of a website. But I can assume it's not bad for a scanner, it helps to find any suspicious objects, but I'm not sure that this behavior will be liked by everyone.

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
I still think Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner was the best PUP/PUA scanner ,
other Anti Virus comparison did not focus on this aspect .

I often encounter people with computer problems when they seek help,
the common problem is an ad or annoying infection.
Usually after using Malwarebytes or AdwCleaner,
the problem can be solved effectively.

However , if you are using free version of Malwarebytes , it was just a scanner ,
there is no real-time protect , should be no need to worry about compatible issue with other Anti-virus software ,
you can keep it in your system .
(even you are already using other antivirus)

Dixz45

Level 2
Thread author
Nov 3, 2021
ah I thought it meant on "access" scan (realtime) I've not done an on "demand"
cleaning a compromised system I'm not that bothered about, I prefer to not allow it to get infected in the first place.
It is difficult to combine the two protections in real time and Malwarebytes alone is not the same as Kaspersky or Bitdefender
It has quite a lot of false positives. Recently it flagged a lot of files from my work project as malware, which was just asp.net for the back-end of a website. But I can assume it's not bad for a scanner, it helps to find any suspicious objects, but I'm not sure that this behavior will be liked by everyone.
I do not know about the false positives, which differ from one protection program to another according to the classifications of protection companies
As Malwarebytes doesn’t detect non-PE malware, it isn’t a good scanner imo.

Try ESET Online Scanner, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, and Norton Power Eraser instead.
I use ESET Online Scanner but I don't know if it is good at detecting PUP.Adware like malwarebytes even though it has options for that
I also used Norton Power Eraser a long time ago
Hi, I use Sophos Virus Removal Tool+KVRT+Roguekiller & Norton Power Eraser.:)
Hi Use Sophos HitmanPro

yes, MB is still extremely good against PUPs/adwares which many good AVs fail to protect (kaspersky, bitdefender,...)
however, there is no portable version which is a deal breaker to me

I prefer hitman pro + norton power eraser
This is what I wanted to make sure of
Malwarebytes is only good against executable files, it fails against everything else
However they market their product as a complete protection program :confused:
I still think Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner was the best PUP/PUA scanner ,
other Anti Virus comparison did not focus on this aspect .

I often encounter people with computer problems when they seek help,
the common problem is an ad or annoying infection.
Usually after using Malwarebytes or AdwCleaner,
the problem can be solved effectively.

However , if you are using free version of Malwarebytes , it was just a scanner ,
there is no real-time protect , should be no need to worry about compatible issue with other Anti-virus software ,
you can keep it in your system .
(even you are already using other antivirus)
It was always on my desktop and laptop as an on-demand scan program but Kaspersky started asking for it to be deleted and putting it in the incompatible category even though the real-time protection was disabled (the picture shows the Kaspersky message)

Screenshot 000 (1).png

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
It was always on my desktop and laptop as an on-demand scan program but Kaspersky started asking for it to be deleted and putting it in the incompatible category even though the real-time protection was disabled (the picture shows the Kaspersky message)

Don't worry , I am using Kaspersky and Malwarebytes Premium (with real-time protect) in same time ,
Kaspersky also show the compatibility warning , you can click Ignore on Kaspersky。

However, I would recommend you to refer to the MB official notes on compatibility ,
do what they suggest :

• Wow
Reactions: Lament and Dixz45

Dixz45

Level 2
Thread author
Nov 3, 2021
Reactions: KevinYu0504