Is motospeed's site safe?

idunno

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 24, 2017
I was going thru ebay and I browsed gaming mices I could buy and I came across this one mouse that I liked
People say you need to download a driver from the site to change the color so I wanted to know if there is anyone here with experience from that company and can tell me if the drivers are malicious.

-Thanks!

The mouse:Amazon.com: NPET V30 RGB Backlit Gaming Mouse,High-Precision Programmable,Professional Ergonomic Wired Gaming Mice for PC/Laptop/Desktop/Computer.: Computers & Accessories

site to download drivers from: Motospeed

Last edited:

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
No, I meant the drivers.
The drivers can have Malware or rootkit on them.

Same thing, you can download the drivers to your PC and then upload the files to VT in order to check if they are clean.
The drivers are probably a few months old, so AVs signatures should be trustworthy.

Reactions: Transhumana

idunno

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 24, 2017
Very probably. Please make sure to create a system image backup before installing just in case something goes wrong.
Yeah, but when I uploaded the file virustotal before I pressed reanalyse it said "1/61"
and now it says "0/60" should I be worried about this or just trust the site?

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Yeah, but when I uploaded the file virustotal before I pressed reanalyse it said "1/61"

Probably just a false positive that was patched.
I think you should be fine. Having the possibility to roll back gives you peace of mind.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I wouldn't be concerned. As brod56 said, that single detection, would have been a false positive that has since been fixed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.