Is my norton security 2015 not set up right? Its letting malware through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImtheBest

Level 2
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
This thread is so full of misinformation that isnt funny:

1- Almost ALL antivirus software nowdays are antimalware, viruses are a thing of the past (PUPs, Ransonware, APTs are the real thing now).

2- People really doesnt know how cloud protection is necessary and Norton has the best infrastructure outhere.
Symantec (maybe Trend Micro and Kaspersky too with Bit9) can get away using agressive reputation protection because of their massive whitelist database.

3- Signature protection is something overrated, a old technology that simple doesn't cut anymore. Many antivirus have 99 % "protection" in tests and still people are infected using up to date software.

4- Norton is the best against Zero day malware, I challenge anyone here to send a link (Inbox) to a real threat that Norton doesn't detect either with Download Insight or SONAR.

5- Norton has one of the best drive by download, phishing and exploit protection, bar none.

Signature dependent antivirus cant keep with massive malware production, simple as that.

With Norton 2015, I would just use Open DNS + Ublock + Backup and consider it done.

I disagree with u Norton might have good protection, But it fails to still be light wight and slows down. I wouldn't mind Norton at all but it also messes with stuff up i think. All there updates and stuff then there add ons not working every update they bring then a serton thing doesn't work or so. I have used there Norton 360 bought it off amazon and it was cheap too better from buying from Norton. I even asked a tech guy on live chat that its cheaper on amazon. he told me i shouldn't buy it from there i won't work there it might have problems. He also didn't know hes own stuff was on amazon i told him u guys sell it on amazon he was like it could be a pricey download was thinking to my self OK really, Amazon is a legit company and he doesn't even know that and that there buying there products and selling them legitlly. So when i got the key and download from amzoan everything worked fine even all the updates he told me that would not work or id have some sort of problems. That was just hes way of being a con so yes i hate Norton $60 go buy it on amazon and don't waste so much money on them its insane. I might use Norton in the future again but not now

THAT'S MY INBOX TO U :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: darko999

ImtheBest

Level 2
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
Heavy on your system? Even if i turn it off i can not notice the difference now that tells me it is light on my system. ;)

Hmm weird ! a friend of mine has Norton 2015 on a 1 GB ram and he never complained about any slow downs

NO never happened to me but Norton is funny some times. i think it messes with Internet as soon as i got rid of it and put webroot on my internet was flying again :cool: idk like i said i might use it if they make alot of changes like a Windows 8 or 10 interface thats lightwight like Emersioft. Maybe something that transpaenrt or somthing something that users can chamge the color mixer theme or something i mean there high end compeny. but they alwats come out with the same interface blah blah balh :)

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
I've had serious performance Issues on the past. Even so my machine was the same one I run nowadays, a cheap and strong FX-8350 @4,5 1.405vcore 8GB G.skill 1600@1800 and a W.D black 32mb cache SATA 1TB HDD, Norton made my boot time slow as stone age. I could live with that, but launching many programs were slow as a turtle, the usage of my HDD by Norton was excessively crazy. The "Intensive CPU use" "Warning notification" during heavy gaming did drop my FPS many times, to a point I was wondering if the default settings were actually the best or not. Not counting many failed attemps to load components after windows updates, more than 3 times a week. I wasn't even close to be functional for me, unistalled it after a month or so. I of course, I accept they may have improved a lot, but I don't believe anyone could say Norton has a good detection rate, because it is not good. At least compared to the good ones outhere.

Reactions: jamescv7

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
in my opinion , norton is way overpriced.

True, even I'm norton's user my self, I can say the price is too high.

it does not slow down your system.

Pretty much agree ;)

its weak in protecting its users.

there are free alternatives out there , that do a way better job : avast , AVG , avira , panda cloud , baidu combined with a good firewall : zonealarm , comodo , online armor.

With respect, I have to disagree with this, I understand different people has different perspective, but saying it's weak is not simply true, yes probably norton's detection rate is not the best, it's average, but again we can't judge the whole product just because "detection rate". Norton has download insight this way can ensure norton's user to download only trusted files and thus keeping it's user from infection, also norton has excellent file reputation features. Not to mention..Norton's firewall is also great, even if the av engine missed it..it's firewall might block any malicious activity, you can check it here post #26 http://malwaretips.com/threads/symantec-endpoint-protection-review-explanation.30546/page-2
I know it was SEP, but sep and nis has similar firewall and similar technology, sep is just more advanced than nis.

But yeah mostly I agree, since the price is also too high, I bet people also expecting it's detection rate will dramatically improve :confused:

ImtheBest

Level 2
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
Please just try Norton Security 2015, it is all that I have to say :cool:

OK i think u just convinced me again Norton Security 2015 Here we come in the future. right now i'm with Emesisoft so i will wait till its all up or i can't afford it anymore then i will try Norton again Thanks. Ya Norton really isn't that bad of a program i was just J/k around wit u m8 :D:p

ImtheBest

Level 2
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
Heavy on memory? Not exactly chewing it up........

Hmm i'll i have to see was fine on my end. how much ram do u have and what brand is it and whats your hardware specs. sometines it all depends on the hardware. different PC have different hardware so u might need to change a part or play around bit and ask around

JollyGood

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
Hi guys,

Thanks for all of your input. I have had the talk with them regarding both their security and the security of their machines over the web and they have agreed to be a bit more cautious when downloading files and visiting websites. Also i love the idea of setting up a limiting account for all of em and that's exactly what i have chosen to do(currently in the process of transitioning all of their accounts). Further more i did set up McAfee site advisor and sandboxie on all of those machines and now hopefully if a malware does manage to slip through while they browse the web, it won't be able to cause to much damage (if any at all) to their machines. Really appreciate the help guys. Knew i could count on people here for friendly and effective security advice :)

JollyGood

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
Also as far as Norton goes, yeah it used to be pretty expensive however the 2015 version does seem like a pretty good bang for your buck. $89.99 for the protection of 10 devices with 25 gigs of backup (not to shabby. Especially if you end up buying it during the Black Friday/cyber Monday sale.) Furthermore, if you guys don't mind me asking why does everyone bash on Bitdefender? Well i had it for a year and i was quite satisfied with it however though I'd give the new Norton 2015 a try and as far as performance impact went both products have virtually no performance impact and from what I've come to realize Bitdefender offers better protection than Norton(However, i love the download insight in Norton by the way, nothing beats Download insight). So why does everyone hate Bitdefender?

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

JollyGood

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
True, even I'm norton's user my self, I can say the price is too high.

Pretty much agree ;)

With respect, I have to disagree with this, I understand different people has different perspective, but saying it's weak is not simply true, yes probably norton's detection rate is not the best, it's average, but again we can't judge the whole product just because "detection rate". Norton has download insight this way can ensure norton's user to download only trusted files and thus keeping it's user from infection, also norton has excellent file reputation features. Not to mention..Norton's firewall is also great, even if the av engine missed it..it's firewall might block any malicious activity, you can check it here post #26 http://malwaretips.com/threads/symantec-endpoint-protection-review-explanation.30546/page-2
I know it was SEP, but sep and nis has similar firewall and similar technology, sep is just more advanced than nis.

But yeah mostly I agree, since the price is also too high, I bet people also expecting it's detection rate will dramatically improve :confused:
I completely agree with your point of view. Norton's Download insight may just be one of the best features i have run into with any security product. I guess Kaspersky also has something of the same sort however, since Norton has a bigger database of users their Insight database is quite a lot bigger than Kaspersky's as well. Also i can completely agree that Norton does have a pretty effective firewall. However i guess that we should have expected that by now since unlike other security vendors Norton hasn't implemented any new Security features into its suite's. Its been using the same configuration since 2009 (however i think Norton 2006-2007 came with the same set of features as well) and has been perfecting it ever since. However for a security company this big i guess they took the statement "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" quite literally. As they haven't added any new features to their security suite (at least in my mind) since 2009. True they did improve the detection of malware and the the performance impact of their products quite a bit however, compared to products from companies such as Mcafee and Kaspersky who are constantly improving detection of malware, reducing the performance impact of their products and adding new and exciting features offered by their products Norton is just asking too much for too little :(

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Hi guys,

Thanks for all of your input. I have had the talk with them regarding both their security and the security of their machines over the web and they have agreed to be a bit more cautious when downloading files and visiting websites. Also i love the idea of setting up a limiting account for all of em and that's exactly what i have chosen to do(currently in the process of transitioning all of their accounts). Further more i did set up McAfee site advisor and sandboxie on all of those machines and now hopefully if a malware does manage to slip through while they browse the web, it won't be able to cause to much damage (if any at all) to their machines. Really appreciate the help guys. Knew i could count on people here for friendly and effective security advice :)

Smart move champ, glad you found our post useful for you and your family, also glad you add mcafee siteadvisor as your protection as well, it's pretty good I can tell ya :)

Also as far as Norton goes, yeah it used to be pretty expensive however the 2015 version does seem like a pretty good bang for your buck. $89.99 for the protection of 10 devices with 25 gigs of backup

Pretty much agree :D

(not to shabby. Especially if you end up buying it during the Black Friday/cyber Monday sale.)

Nice advice! I'll add it to my list, thanks for share ;)

if you guys don't mind me asking why does everyone bash on Bitdefender? Well i had it for a year and i was quite satisfied with it however though I'd give the new Norton 2015 a try and as far as performance impact went both products have virtually no performance impact and from what I've come to realize Bitdefender offers better protection than Norton(However, i love the download insight in Norton by the way, nothing beats Download insight). So why does everyone hate Bitdefender?

To be honest, I like Bitdefender especially the 2015 version one, never had any serious problems with it, good protection, I don't know about the others though, but from my personal inspection, most of them bashing BD it was due to heavy performance impact, heavy start-up, incompatible with some softwares (example : sandboxie, I don't know if this was already fixed) and slow internet connection or even worse BSOD, from my personal experience I didn't faced those problems except slower start-up, but it can easily fixed by disabling "Scan on boot".

NatsuruHaveALife :D

Level 2
Verified
May 18, 2015
Using Norton for a better part of my computing years, it comes down to it, and Windows defender for me. why? Windows defender is free. I have personally seen it work against new threats better than everything else.
Despite what i thought about norton around 2011, i finally switched back around mid 2015. i was using kaspersky til then. KIS does okay, but towards the end i was repeatedly getting hit by flash zero day malware. switching to chrome/edge, and using norton, have had a whole lot less infections, actually, Zero, unless purposely infecting myself. Its hard to keep yourself safe, due to java/flash exploits. and browser exploits. smart browsing helps, but theres gonna be the occasional situation you get hit anyway.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Using Norton for a better part of my computing years, it comes down to it, and Windows defender for me. why? Windows defender is free. I have personally seen it work against new threats better than everything else.
Despite what i thought about norton around 2011, i finally switched back around mid 2015. i was using kaspersky til then. KIS does okay, but towards the end i was repeatedly getting hit by flash zero day malware. switching to chrome/edge, and using norton, have had a whole lot less infections, actually, Zero, unless purposely infecting myself. Its hard to keep yourself safe, due to java/flash exploits. and browser exploits. smart browsing helps, but theres gonna be the occasional situation you get hit anyway.
I would stick with Norton as i have been using it for six years and not one infection yet. :)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.