Advice Request Is Norton any good these days? Should I buy this antivirus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Can Norton Security Standard on its own protect a PC?

• Yes

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoherentCrayon

Level 4
Verified
Jun 23, 2017
The malware prevention is pretty good, and it also has SONAR behavior blocker. The new versions seems to be cloud-based, it seems pretty light (about 25-40 MB ram usage). The only things I don't like is that the scans sometimes "can't remove some malware" which you need to remove manually even though they aren't active. The web extension could be improved a little, but otherwise it is good IMO.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I have used Norton for two years, upon at least 1 of our three Windows computers at any given time, and would have faithfully purchased it myself if not for giveaways and also the generous members here on MalwareTips! It has been tested and approved of, first, by members here in our malware hub, and (most importantly) has passed the exacting demands of my wife, here at our home! Yes, it is worth purchasing (IMHO) but download it first to see how it will work with your unique system. Then, if it meets YOUR approval, you can buy it happily!:D

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Is Norton good? Yes.
Should you buy it? Perhaps not, because nowadays, the difference in protection is not so great between a good free AV and a good paid AV.
If you want good overall protection that you don't need to tweak or worry about or fuss over, go Norton.
If you like to get in there and tweak your AV for greater security, go Kaspersky or Emsisoft.

If you have tried the trial and Norton works for you personally on your systems, you like it, then you should use it. It will provide decent protection.

The debate of paid versus free is not really relevant. Use what works best for you.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
IMHO, norton is good but not consistent. Some malwares for some reasons can get through it
According to my experience, norton has relatively good ONLINE signatures but the OFFLINE signatures are poor. It's also very aggressive against downloaded files (download insight) if the files have a low number of users => which made me mad many times because the number of clicks to restore the quarantined files are too many

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
That statement is true of all security software. There are Bitdefender, Kaspersky,..., and other security soft "bypasses."

Yes, but the vote is Norton. The other solutions, not on radar. I should have mentioned that. The fact no AV can catch all threats 100% does underline the benefits of a free Antivirus or firewall, you don't spend money on a hit or miss security.

The paid AV offers more, but with tweaks and good free softwares, it can be a nice option for francis/original poster, if not aware of it.

Last edited:

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Perhaps it may be worth having a look at some Norton reviews or even the YouTube tests. The general view is that Norton is decent in terms of protection, with Sonar and it's signatures, but has some notorious usability issues, like failing to remove passive malware, as mentioned by @steel9 or being too aggressive. Last time I checked it, Norton seemed slow to show alerts or deal with threats detected by real time protection.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Every review I have seen of Norton Security over the last few years suggests to me that it offers some of the best protection available. Personally, I would only use Norton or Kaspersky at present, based on the reviews I have read. Both of these products have been consistently near the top of the rankings from the various AV labs. www.av-test.org www.av-comparatives.org and SE Labs

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
I'm Norton user for a lot for years, and I have seen how this product has improved in all ways through the years. Now is on top like other big names like Kaspersky, Bitdefender...
I recommend it.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Symantec is still a market leader, and i will recommend it until it proves otherwise. It's light on the system, SONAR is almost unbeatable, and it provides decent protection and detection ratios. Support is very friendly and quick (and efficient!). I would definitely give it a try. My other two recommendations would be Emsisoft and ESET.

L

Local Host

Norton has improved a lot with their latest version, so I would recommend it right after Kaspersky and Emsisoft.

I suggest you read reviews from multiple sources and check some youtube videos, for the general opinion of it.

Also try the Trial Version and make your own opinion (extremely important).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.