Advice Request Is O&O Defrag a good software to defragment?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is O&O Defrag an good Solution?

• Yes

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 22, 2018
Is O&O Defrag good?

I have 500GB HDD for Games and 50GB SSD for my OS.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Defraging drives is an obsolete process long ago. Windows itself manages that process automatically very well. My HDD fragmentation is almost nil despite I never touched a defrag tool for ages. I only do TRIM process on my SSD occasionally when I feel board, even that too is not needed because Windows automatically does TRIM process on the SSDs too.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Anyway even after you defrag your OS with those 3rd party tools, Windows will re-defrag with his own algorithm.
Indeed, anyone using 3rd party software should disable Windows defrag, just to be sure. 3rd party software probably does it, but you never know.
Code:
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction" /v "Enable" /t REG_SZ /d "n" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OptimalLayout" /v "EnableAutoLayout" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Defrag\ScheduledDefrag" /Disable
sc config defragsvc start= disabled

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
I agreed with @Moonhorse. At default, Windows schedule to defrag your HDD and optimize your SDD weekly.
...even that too is not needed because Windows automatically does TRIM process on the SSDs too.
Well, if it works. :cry: I had it set to do it weekly, but it never did on its own: Indicated by the large amount of days since last trim/optimization. (Sometimes month)
Not until I changed the task in task scheduler. Now it does it perfectly whenever it should. I set it to trim daily. I don't know if that is a good idea or not, though.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Well, if it works. :cry: I had it set to do it weekly, but it never did on its own: Indicated by the large amount of days since last trim/optimization. (Sometimes month)
Not until I changed the task in task scheduler. Now it does it perfectly whenever it should. I set it to trim daily. I don't know if that is a good idea or not, though.

Do you install and uninstall app every day?

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
By allowing the system defragmenting automatically is the worst stupidity you can commit in your life if you want your disk to be free of bad sectors, I do this task only if I know that my power supply works perfectly. also if the disk is in trouble, by defragmenting it you will end up damaging it even more and your information will be damaged by badly written and illegible data. althouth with the all crap of microsoft winup and its filthy way to create updates every month, it is enough to kill fastest the disks with those constant and big writing and replacing of gbs data , cumulative decompression at sectors clusters. I'm so bored of MS Iluminatti Control PCl, soon I'll go to the linux forums and no more.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
By allowing the system defragmenting automatically is the worst stupidity you can commit in your life if you want your disk to be free of bad sectors, I do this task only if I know that my power supply works perfectly. also if the disk is in trouble, by defragmenting it you will end up damaging it even more and your information will be damaged by badly written and illegible data. althouth with the all crap of microsoft winup and its filthy way to create updates every month, it is enough to kill fastest the disks with those constant and big writing and replacing of gbs data , cumulative decompression at sectors clusters. I'm so bored of MS Iluminatti Control PCl, soon I'll go to the linux forums and no more.

What are you talking about? Windows automatically defrag/optimize your disk weekly is not a bad thing. Defrag a HDD or optimize a SSD will make the drive perform better and last longer.

Reactions: roger_m and upnorth
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.