Is posible emsi says are working and really not are working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi maybe i am a litle paranoid, but i see some cases in software apps who says everything ok but really dont work .
.1.-- When Windows action center says your av does no work
2.- When Avast or Norton says everything ok and really does not work or shield stops repently

I am thinking . Do you think this happen whith emsi?

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I kinda understand what you are saying and no, I think when an AV reports it is working OK, it is. Sometimes that might not be the case, but those situations are probably rare.

When Windows Action Center reports that your AV is not working (Windows 10), it is usually correct. That's not being paranoid. The above is.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@Aktiffiso, although what you've described has not happened to me personally while using Emsisoft Internet Security, it has happened to us here in our home with other AVs. On an older Vaio lap top, the action center has has told us Norton was not working, and the computer was not protected while Norton said "All systems are working & protected".:confused:
Even on my wife's newer HP system, Action Center has said protection was "off" While Windows Defender indicated it was ON.
Additionally, Voodoo Shield has alerted us (on the Vaio lap top) that it was not working (this happened at startup) and were prompted to restart to be protected which is what I recommend doing.:)

In my opinion, no, you are not paranoid. We always want protection to be "ON". On computer systems with many different types of software, it is always possible something just isn't working at any given time.
Fortunately you have simple solutions such as restarting. You can go further by uninstalling, and then reinstalling your Emsisoft software too. Be certain you have your subscription key if you do this.

Hopefully, it shall prove to be just a temporary hiccup which will go away with the usual updates & vigilance. If not, there are many bridges you can cross when that time comes.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
I believe what my AV program says:
eset.JPG eset2.JPG eset3.JPG
Yes, Am I protected?????

When this kind of issues happens I commonly test my AV with Eicar

D

Deleted member 65228

Do you think this happen whith emsi?
It can happen with any security software which have integration to the Windows Action Center... Bugs can arise in any software at any time, it is natural.

It is also possible at the same time for malware to interfere. You never know!

When this kind of issues happens I commonly test my AV with Eicar
This will only cover the real-time protection scanning (or on-demand scanner if you scan the directory it is present in). If you are using security software containing other protection modules, you can test to ensure they are working correctly via other approaches. For example, a leak test may be suitable against checking if a Host Intrusion Prevention System is functioning correctly (just make sure you know what you are doing with them!).

There could be tons of other modules unrelated from HIPS which could not be working correctly also, such as: memory scanning; web protection; anti-exploit; and similar. :)

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
So has this problem being addressed by ESET?
No, last week I saw this bug in one old laptop mine, they said is probably because of custom firewall rules and I have this lap with ransomware mitigation rules in HIPS and Firewall, anyway with a reboot seems to be ok but it's weird because I don't have any indication and everything is "right"

What is funny, even with my latest posts, I didn't test if the protection was really off (or GUI bug), I just applied the gold rule: did you try rebooting?. And all went fine after that :p

Eset 10 network protection problems

I didn't read it, just I remembered it thanks when reading this thread.

Hi maybe i am a litle paranoid, but i see some cases in software apps who says everything ok but really dont work .
.1.-- When Windows action center says your av does no work
2.- When Avast or Norton says everything ok and really does not work or shield stops repently

I am thinking . Do you think this happen whith emsi?

If you have doubts about it working, then testing it yourself is easy enough.

Problems with Windows Security Center mis-reporting 3rd-party security soft status is nothing new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.