Advice Request Is Process Lasso still needed in Windows 10 FCU?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is Process Lasso still needed in Windows 10 FCU?

• Yes - It handles processess/threads better than Windows

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • No - Windows knows best

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • No - Snake Oil product. Keep Away!

Votes: 8 15.1%

• Total voters

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Is Process Lasso Pro or Free still efficient/effective in the latest build of Windows 10?

In Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, I found ProcessLasso helpful in diminishing and alleviating micro/macro lags on my weak and old netbook.

But...I find the opposite on the latest build of Windows 10, using the same weak old netbook. I experience more lags now since installing this, grabbing a free license from a giveaway by Wonderfox.

Obviously, maybe, I should uninstall.

But pls, give me some technical info why Process Lasso is not that efficient anymore on my netbook?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 65228

Nothing is black and white. With default settings, NO. Customized, YES, but it also depends on hardware. Low specs benefit more from it.
Windows has got some prioritization based on a power profile (High Performance) and settings like Processor Scheduling in Windows 10/8/7

AMD Ryzen 5, that's my CPU ;)

Personally I don't need it but I know many people use the tool for a variety of things

About slowdown when using it, probably because the utility is constantly tracking data and this will consume up resources. The same way your CPU usage is increased when Task Manager is open because its using CPU usage to calculate the CPU usage and track other data like memory usage for other running programs. Every instruction executed uses CPU usage... High CPU usage = slower because CPU has a limit. High disk usage = slower because your HDD/SSD can only take so much at a time. The same way when you try to use more memory than you have = BSOD, or when hardly any is free = super slow and sort of a broken frozen feeling.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I use it on lower spec servers to keep things tidy, with tweaks of course.

Otherwise? No chance. It's never going on any desktop/laptop of mine.

Park Control though, I use an older non-install version to unpark cores on gaming rigs.

Flengo

Level 2
Verified
Oct 19, 2017
I would think this answer changes computer-to-computer depending on the hardware the computer uses and the software running on it.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I run a laptop that is about 3 years old, running GTX 765, i7-4700 and I do a lot of photo editing on my computer

I find that process lasso helps with reducing the usage of CPU and GPU when exporting the photos where as previously without any teaks exporting the photos would give me a BSOD where as now when I've limited the process to only take up 50% of the CPU it no longer BSOD

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
In my opinion it does better then Windows... the evidence is less with more RAM and CPU cores, but if you often multi-task many tabs, games, etc.This can help any PC run a bit smoother and can prevent a sudden freeze.

Reactions: roger_m

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
The app was effective when I was using Windows 8-8.1. But in Windows 10, my system suffered from more lags.

Some really say it just provides placebo effect, but I disagree if you know how to use it. It is best to leave it on default settings and let it do the work. But if you are a geek and knows how to do a lot of tinkering, then it could serve you well.

As for me, maybe I will uninstall it.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I recommend it. It doesn't claim to speed up your computer. Rather, it claims to bring back responsiveness. The owner has a synthetic application to test PL's ProBalance.

@bitsum might be able to help as to why @ifacedown's experience is the opposite when it comes to Process Lasso's presence in Windows 10.

I currently use CPUBalance. :)

Last edited:

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
He dont show how he configure program or he even configure it if he run default after fresh install im not wonder why we dont see diference.....
You need setup process to game mode and than enable it same with allocate process for specific core..

If you run 20 browser than system can freez copule time becasue cant handle it...
if you configure specific browsers for eech core stand alone you will get less or non freez that little tip prove how Process Lasso is usefull.

Serious Noize

Level 5
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
[QUOTE="Quassar, post: 701489, member: 1239"] He dont show how he configure program or he even configure it if he run default after fresh install im not wonder why we dont see diference.....
You need setup process to game mode and than enable it same with allocate process for specific core..

If you run 20 browser than system can freez copule time becasue cant handle it...
if you configure specific browsers for eech core stand alone you will get less or non freez that little tip prove how Process Lasso is usefull.[/QUOTE]

That's a great point! All the video by comparison shows is somebody using "What they consider settings are good" or that is they don't mention if they were default or whatever". That's the most important thing of all when doing any type of review on any software in my opinion, especially on with the bold words saying "WORTH IT?" like the video says.

I've had issues running Process Lasso and Zemana Antimalware, and by issues I mean when you go to run a software from the Metro menu or quick launch there is an extreme pause, but that could have been due to the software checking things in the cloud. I have no idea of the whitelisting policy of Zemana Antimalware.

I can say this, using WIndows 10 my system is better off with Process Lasso. My initial thought after getting a new PC was : "Who would know better than Microsoft to control the behavior of WINDOWS? But I quickly realize that a lot of that behavior involved ACTIVITY monitoring by Microsoft, even if you turn off all the selections available in settings". You can block Cortana with Process Lasso and other activities/processes that you want to keep from running easily. As for WINDOWS knowing how to best optimize your system? NO, they know how to best optimize your system FOR THEIR BENEFIT, not yours!

Process lasso has some other settings you can use that come in handy, like setting a software when it runs to prevent Sleep and Monitor going into screen saver if you need such things. In my case I watch movies on my Media player and it does come in handy.

Is Process Lasso "Snake OIL?", I think that is the real question. ABSOLUTELY NOT! It's not meant to SPEED UP your system, although it can if you want to add a software to high priority which may speed up the start of it. But it does prevent system activity issues, for example : "If you start running 6 programs in multitask and using a quad core , think of it as a train with 4 tracks and 6 trains colliding, and think of Process Lasso as the conductor of those trains making sure they pass safely without causing disorder.

For me, in the beginning I was back and forth on Process Lasso, but it really does make a difference using ANY VERSION OF WINDOWS and especially 10 considering it makes YOU IN CONTROL of your processes and NOT MICROSOFT.

Those are my thoughts and opinions and experience thus far using it, I'm no expert, but then again, in an ever changing technology world such as this, who is to say who is.

Hope this is of some use to someone reading this. Process Lasso get's a THUMBS UP! And a must install in my book.

Reactions: askmark
D

Deleted member 178

placebo effect, to gain something somewhere , you have to loose something elsewhere.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
placebo effect, to gain something somewhere , you have to loose something elsewhere.
I disagree that it's just placebo. It really works. The perceptibility of its effectiveness depends on the process load. The heavier the background process load, the more effective PL is to maintain system responsiveness (e.g., less mouse pointer stutter and less system lags).

Yes, it tries to gain something (which is system responsiveness) by losing something (which is background process CPU hogging). :)

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
the only time i have slowdowness is when i used to use AV, removed the AV , my system never slowdown-ed since ^^
Some of us have slower systems, where it doesn't take much CPU load to slow them down. Up until two years ago, I was using a Core 2 Duo system as my main computer.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.