Advice Request Is Reason Core Security worth it and how would you use it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is Reason Core Security worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • I have not tried this product

Votes: 26 74.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
I am looking at Reason Core Security and I am wondering if it's worth it and if it uses a lot of resources while it's running?
It's sold as an AntiVirus Add on but for that to be true it has to be light on resources. Is that really the case? What does it do that Secunia PSI won't do?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I am not familiar with "Secunia" but I have a 2yr license for Reason Core and it's just my opinion but it is light on my PC's resources and it is good in that it is a great tool for bundle alerts, as far as the AV section goes I would not have it as my main source of protection but as a supporting player.
It updates regularly, I have no issues running it alongside Eset, MBAM, Or VooDooShield.
My advice would be to add it to your config on a trial basis and see what the benefits are as they pertain to your specific setup, if it proves beneficial, keep it, if not then delete it and "no harm, no foul"
I don't mind having it around though.
PeAcE

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Well, Secunia PSI is a software updater. It looks for insecure/outdated programs. Reason Core Security is a Companion Antivirus. Companion AVs are made to run alongside with another Antivirus without any conflicts. Its main purpose is to be the reinforcement and to support the main AV. You can't really compare the two because they're totally different programs.

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks for that clarification King,
And I failed to mention that Reason Core also has some good sub-features (tools)
1> Programs: which will list all installed programs and offer advanced uninstaller options and ratings.
2> Start Up: Lists All non system start up programs with disable option
3> Browser Addon: Lists all addons currently installed with uninstall option
4> Remediation: Allows for resetting various windows settings to undo malware damage
5> Diagnostic Scan: for creating a Text based help file.
I hope this helps in your decision and this added info should have been added in my post above but i was in a hurry.
PeAcE

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I use reasoncore as a scanner because I have enough real time protection modules from ESET and Zemana already. The scanning is good, although it has a very sensitive heuristic module meaning that it could classify normal software as malware. But this also means that it could find malware that has yet to be discovered and put into signatures of other AVs. It's really a slippery slope and depends on what you ultimately want from it. Personally I stopped using it because of the high amounts of false positives and it's not really that user friendly when you need to report a false positive.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I do like their Free version, as not only do you get an Antispyware scanner, it also comes with Unchecky integration which can help prevent further adware/PUP.

Be interesting to find out which has the lower Start-Up Impact from either RCS Free or standalone Unchecky, as I already have 3 items that Windows states as High Impact.

So for me, it's something to consider.

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
Ok got it! Thanks!

So let me get this straight....Reason Core Security can be basically compared to to WinPatrol Scotty Premium and Secunia PSI?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Would I say it's similar to Secunia PSI? Not at all.

Reason Core Security is a companion anti-spyware scanner, it can be used alongside your existing Antivirus software. Consider it similar to to AdwCleaner, MBAM Free or SAS Free.

When you download RCS you are automatically given a Trial version with Real-time Protection, but this can be disabled if you only wanted it for on-demand use only.

Additionally, you can manage Start-up Programs, Browser Add-ons, Re-mediation (ie. Winsock Reset) and Diagnostic Scan for advanced users.

Under Tools, it comes with Basic Windows Management, as seen in the screenshot below:

upload_2016-6-5_16-50-41.png

You can download a copy for free at Download - Reason Core Security

Pearl96

Level 5
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
I believe Malwarebytes is a better product as Reason core seems to focus more on Adware and PUPs. For me I would definitely go for Malwarebytes. I am using both but I mainly scan with Malwarebytes. Real time protection is disabled on them both.

Reactions: Rengar
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.