Advice Request Is Revo Unistaller any good?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
It's very good. Gets rid of remnants left over from uninstallation. Something the native Windows Uninstall lacks massively.

One example was when I had Sandboxie, something went wrong with it last time, I waited till the new release came out for it. Uninstalled Sandboxie via Revo, deleted any remnants leftover, reinstalled the new version, everything was fine. Think there was an error somewhere.

Don't base your judgement on the example above though. Revo is a very good utility.

~LDogg

Reactions: given and Weebarra

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
During my time using Revo Uninstaller Free, it basically did what was expected for both 32-bit and 64-bit installed programs. I no longer use Revo, but Geek Uninstaller which is a tiny portable program.

The ultimate solution is to create a system image backup your OS before installing any software, that way you can restore without any issues of missed leftover files and registry keys. And the best part is, it's free.

D

Deleted member 69059

Revo Uninstaller (Pro version) is in my opinion the best software uninstaller in the market. The most remarkable fetures (from my point of view) are:
  • Real-Time Installation Monitor: As it's name suggests, It monitors your system in real time when you install an application, so in when you unisnstall it, Revo will remove all files created by that program. Revo Uninstaller uses a driver that I assume that is a kernel mode driver and I think its propouse is monitor changes in the system (I have not verified this yet).
  • Logs Database: "is a database of logs of traced programs through the monitoring module of Revo Uninstaller Pro made and managed by Revo Uninstaller Pro's team". Therefore you don't need to monitor the installation of most popular programs.

The ultimate solution is to create a system image backup your OS before installing any software, that way you can restore without any issues of missed leftover files and registry keys. And the best part is, it's free.
You can also monitor your system with a software like Process Monitor/Regshot/DiffView to get the changes produced in the file system/registry and then write a script (batch, vbs, phyton...) to delete those files/folders/registry keys

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: given

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No offense but I think it's better option than:
The people who use Macrium Reflect have no complaints about restoring to an earlier image, or ones who use Rollback software. It enforces the advice about keeping backups as well.

An alt. solution - If you want to test a non-security software, a VM or Sandbox application is ideal.

Too many Windows user waste time trying to optimise their PC, rather than using it productively. It's likely that you get more work done on macOS or Linux device(s).

D

Deleted member 69059

I do not know if we understand each other but when I read "create a system image backup", it came to my mind "create a full system image" which requires a lot of time. Thats where my recomendation comes from.

The people who use Macrium Reflect have no complaints about restoring to an earlier image, or ones who use Rollback software. It enforces the advice about keeping backups.
I do not know if free verson of Macrium Reflec or Rollback software like RollBack Rx (for example) have the option to create realtime diferential backup/snapshot and restore/revert only the files that was changed since last backup, which would save a lot of time, since restore a full system image it's a big job

An alt. solution - If you want to test a non-security software, a VM or Sandbox application is ideal.
I completely agree with you.

PS: I'm sorry if there was any misunderstanding between us, but as you can see in my profile page I'm not an native English speaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: given and Burrito

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I don't like Revo. It does a very good job of finding leftovers, but, because I've got hundreds of programs installed, it takes over 2 minutes to finish populating the list of installed programs, when you launch it. After uninstalling anything, it takes another 2+ minutes, to populate the list of programs.

I greatly prefer, IObit Uninstaller and Comodo Programs Manager. IObit Uninstaller, has batch uninstall mode, which lets you uninstalled and scan for traces of multiple programs. Unlike other uninstallers, it can scan for leftovers after rebooting. Comodo Programs Manager, automatically monitors any changes an installer makes, without slowing down the system at all and then can use this information to remove any traces left when uninstalling software.

Aznhunt

Level 1
May 20, 2018
Revo Uninstaller is a great tool.. 9.5/10 For me but after using it i would prefer CCleaner.. changed to it after using Revo for a couple of months..in my opinion it has a more friendly UI

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
I do use Revo uninstaller pro for about 2 years and I am quite sattisfied with it. I Works fast , is safe to use , even with deep search mode. Allhough it leaves reg keys and folders behind sometimes. I pair it up with regseeker and voidtools search everything to Find stuff that Revo leaves behind.

D

Deleted member 69059

I don't like Revo. It does a very good job of finding leftovers, but, because I've got hundreds of programs installed, it takes over 2 minutes to finish populating the list of installed programs
Yes, In my opinion this is the only disadvantage of Revo.

Comodo Programs Manager, automatically monitors any changes an installer makes, without slowing down the system at all and then can use this information to remove any traces left when uninstalling software.
I did not know that Comodo Programs Manager monitored the system in real time... And it's also free! I just downloaded it.
If it meets expectations, I'll uninstall Revo and stay with CPM.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

I do not know if we understand each other but when I read "create a system image backup", it came to my mind "create a full system image" which requires a lot of time. Thats where my recomendation comes from.
Macrium: full backup of 30gb system takes around 5mn (i5 & 8Gb RAM)

I do not know if free verson of Macrium Reflec or Rollback software like RollBack Rx (for example) have the option to create realtime diferential backup/snapshot and restore/revert only the files that was changed since last backup, which would save a lot of time, since restore a full system image it's a big job

RX create and restore snapshots of the system, it cares about any changes that occurred between snapshots.
Macrium restore the differential/incremental or full backup, choice on the user.

D

Deleted member 69059

It does not officially support Windows 7, or 8, but you can get it to run. I've posted about it before.
If you want to try it, I suggest you use the v2 beta, which was sadly, the last version released.
http://downloads.comodo.com/cpm/download/setups/CPM_SETUP_2.0.0.3_xp_vista_server2003_win7.exe
Thanks I'll give it a try :)
Macrium: full backup of 30gb system takes around 5mn
5 minutes??o_O I think it's time to replace my old backup software.
As for RX, it's looks good I'll try it.

Reactions: given and bribon77
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.