Troubleshoot Is Roku box or Roku TV redundant if you connect TV to your PC by HDMI cable?

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I'm about to buy my first smart TV, and I'm considering a TCL Roku TV. I haven't done streaming. This is all virgin territory for me.

I know getting an HDMI cable to connect computer and PC is very cheap. Does that give me all I would get with a Roku box or a Roku TV?

I was comparing a TCL Roku TV to a Hisense TV. The Hisense had a web browser, but the Roku TCL didn't. Does that make a meaningful difference?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I believe that the TV with Roku would give you the same functionality as a Roku box. In my opinion using Roku, or an alternative, is a far superior option to using HDMI. Using a PC will work, but having something designed for the purpose will give you a much better use experience. I wouldn't be worried about the lack of a browser. If you want to browse the web on your TV, then using a PC via HDMI is probably the best option.

Reactions: conceptualclarity
Upvote 0

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I'm always interacting w/my laptop even when watching a stream on TV. Without my Roku my laptop would be useless to me while it is connected to the TV.

In addition, there exist Roku channels for which there is no browser equivalent... many of these are quite specialized, so you may not have the need for them if you're watching mainstream channels like Hulu, Netflix, FX, etc.

Reactions: roger_m
Upvote 0

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
The best thing to know is that there is much more content through Roku, and the viewing experience is much better through Roku apps than anything you would watch in your browser. Also Roku apps blow away any Windows store apps for services like Netflix and Hulu.

Upvote 0

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
I have my TV connected to my computer through HDMI and started using Netflix a few months ago. Logging in with the browser never worked that well for me so I called support and they had e download their app. Never had any issues what so every using their app.
On a side note Netflix support has one of the best I have ever used. They answer the phone in a timely matter are knowledgeable about what they are doing.

Reactions: conceptualclarity
Upvote 0

TheJokerz

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2016
Just got my first roku box about a week ago. I turned my cable tv off and kept internet. I love my roku box it has everything I need and then some!!

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.